View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)
Default $100 Twin Build Contest RF-15 Reporter (P-61 Recon variant)

OK here's my entry; the P-61. I've done 2 smaller P-61s in the past and they were great flyers. The P-61 has a lot going for it; a large broad wing and elevator plus twin rudders in great proportions for a model. It's also a trike with large wheels which makes it a good candidate for grass runways. Unlike a P-38 and many other twins, it has a long nose which makes it easy to get the CG right without adding lead. Like most twin boom aircraft, it makes sense to build the wing center and twin booms as one unit. This will be 1/12 scale or 66" wingspan so I'll make the outer wing panels removable.

The P-61 has a big downside and that is all that glass! I spent more time making the vacuform plugs than I did on the rest of the model for my smaller one. There is however, the last P-61 variant: The RF-15 Reporter which was an unarmed photographic reconnaissance aircraft. The prototype was modified from the last fighter version, the P-61e. The Reporter had a single tandem cockpit with a bubble canopy.

I've tried to interest some other members of the club to build one and share some of the cost of getting all the plugs made and the canopies pulled by offering copies of the fuselage shells at cost. If I can get a couple takers, I'll go ahead and do the fighter version. If not, I'll buy a canopy from Parkflyerplastics.com and do the Reporter version.

WS 66"
Length 50"
Motors: 3536 1000KV
Battery (2) 2200mAh 3S
Target wt. 75 Oz.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small_P-61_green_airborne.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	175266   Click image for larger version

Name:	north-p61e.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	175267  

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Page generated in 0.19630 seconds with 20 queries