View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Bonus question: If you run separate receiver batteries, after how many flights do you recharge them?

My answer: Before each outing to the field. I rarely put more than 5 flights on each plane in an outing.
A number of my club members have gone to either LiFe or A123 receiver packs for their gasser/glow powered models. I've instructed them to "Top Off" their LiFe or A123 packs after a day's flying. These cells "Hold 95% of their charge" for a year or more, so they don't need to be charged before a days flying.

My personal rule (And what I tell my club members) is to NEVER use more than 50% of the batteries Mah capacity during any days flying, just in case you do a whole lot more acrobatics and so on. That's a safety factor of 50%.

There are so many advantages of the LiFe or especially the 2300 Mah A123 packs compared to the "AA" Nih packs, a lot of my club members are no longer using the Nih packs. When those LiFe/A123 battery packs hit 3.6 Volts DC per cell, they are fully charged. Simple as that. Compare that to fast charging a Nih battery pack, where you've got to worry about false peaks on some of those cheaper battery chargers. I've run across cases where one of those cheap battery chargers didn't fully charge a Nih battery pack during the charging process.

Little bit of reading info on the use of those A123's for giant scale model receiver power systems.
http://hangtimes.com/a123_batteries_for_giants_faq.html

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

Page generated in 0.10327 seconds with 17 queries