Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Left Coast DJ

Friends: (0)
Default Noob Budget $200: Spektrum DX6i or a Futaba T7C?

Been flying a Champ for a while now. Might be ready to upgrade. Budget is $200. What would be a better controller - DX6i or a Futaba T7C?

My next plane will most likely be a ParkZone T-28. If I get the DX6i, I'll get the T-28 BNF. If I get the T7C, I'll get T-28 PNP and drop the R617FS receiver that comes with it into the T-28.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It is hard to refute the huge value of the BNF planes so Spektrum is the way to go IMHO.

I would get a used DX7 rather than the DX6i however. If you can save just a bit more the DX7s is the way to go.

Mike
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
foodstick

Friends: (0)

I love my Futaba 7C, but as mentioned above.. if you like to fly all the plug and play toys, Spektrum owns that market...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Fentonflyers

Friends: (1)

I saw your post in RC Groups and thought it would be easiest to post here. I recently re-joined this hobby and initially purchased a DX6i. Model memory started getting short and I found myself looking at other options. Where I fly the Spektrum gets knocked around quite a bit so I settled on buying some used radios and installing 2.4 modules in them and in one case(a 7C) is installed a hack module. I also have the 9x. For the money I feel it is best to find an older fm module style radio that you can install a new module in.

Good luck,
Jay
Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
JZSlenker

Send a message via AIM to JZSlenker
Friends: (1)

I love my DX6. It's perfect for BNF stuff. If you need more options and channels I recommend the Hitec Aurora over the DX7 and DX8. I have both and am very happy with both of them.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Been flying a Champ for a while now. Might be ready to upgrade. Budget is $200. What would be a better controller - DX6i or a Futaba T7C?

My next plane will most likely be a ParkZone T-28. If I get the DX6i, I'll get the T-28 BNF. If I get the T7C, I'll get T-28 PNP and drop the R617FS receiver that comes with it into the T-28.
Last summer I ran across a guy that was flying a $$$$ 3KW plus electric pattern model. It was obvious the guy really knew what pattern flying was all about. His radio was a DX6i with an AR7000 receiver. No problems what so ever, the DX6 transmitter/receiver worked just fine.

Check the prices and variety of receivers available for both Spektrum/JR radios in making your decision.

And if you've got more than a few models planned, Spektrum/JR has what's called "Model Match". Model match is where you bind "transmitter model #1" to the model airplane "Model #1", and go fly. If, later on, you decide to try to fly "model #2", and forget to change the transmitter to model #2, your receiver is dead. Dead. Dead. You can't take off with reversed ailerons for example, your model won't move if the transmitter and receiver models settings don't match.

I've seen some very expensive models crashed in the past few years when the pilot took off with the wrong model programmed into his Futaba or Hitec transmitter.

If you're looking at a number of models down the road, check into the Spektrum DX7. More money, but it's got 20 model capacity.

And, as for Spektrum, check this thread out:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65573

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

Futaba has a bad service record for me. Two guys at my club have less than 1 year old TC7's that have had their right stick (aileron /elevator) fail. Futaba's response to them was "$60.00 labor and $30.00 parts.)

Compare that what was posted in the other thread......

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros