Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Spektrum Rx question

I have a new AR6200 rx that I'm preparing to put in a new plane. I noticed this evening when attempting to plug in servos and esc that there are ribs molded into the receiver case that won't allow me to plug in my servos etc. I remember from my early 72 mhz Futaba days the rx's and servo leads being polarized to prevent improper connection. I assume Spektrum servos have the polarized plug to facilitate proper connection.

Since I'm not using Spektrum servos I intend to use my Dremel and grind off the plastic tab molded into the rx case so as to allow me to plug in my servos. Is this the proper way to approach this or am I missing something? (other than buying all my servos from Spektrum)

In the attached pic the tabs are somewhat visible in the bottom side of the plug opening.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004[1].jpg
Views:	95
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	162601  
Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I don't ever recall seeing any of those in my Spektrum rx's. But I don't have that exact model rx either.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

It's easier to trim the corner off the servo connectors if they don't fit. The corners are there to prevent you from plugging in the servo backwards.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

If you are referring to the little triangular bump on the lower edge, That is the polarizing device. JR & Spektrum servo leads have two corners beveled at a 45 degree, it is slight but it is there. Full size JR receivers, many times have that little bump along both sides of the plug area. Works pretty good, but you can force them in wrong.

If you have Futaba servos, they will have a ridge along one edge of the plug, I just trim that off, scrape a bevel on the edges and plug them in.

I have never found a need to cut the receiver case.

In your picture, the signal wire will be the top row, then positive, with negative on the bottom row. The signal wire is almost always the pin that would have the closest relationship to the circuitry on the board. Pos & neg are common from pin to pin, or left to right

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Beemerider

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
If you are referring to the little triangular bump on the lower edge, That is the polarizing device. JR & Spektrum servo leads have two corners beveled at a 45 degree, it is slight but it is there. Full size JR receivers, many times have that little bump along both sides of the plug area. Works pretty good, but you can force them in wrong.

If you have Futaba servos, they will have a ridge along one edge of the plug, I just trim that off, scrape a bevel on the edges and plug them in.

I have never found a need to cut the receiver case.

In your picture, the signal wire will be the top row, then positive, with negative on the bottom row. The signal wire is almost always the pin that would have the closest relationship to the circuitry on the board. Pos & neg are common from pin to pin, or left to right
Thanks Wildflyer

You answered a question I had forgotten to ask--that of proper direction of servo lead. I would have ultimately figured it out but you saved me some head scratching. After seeing the previous answer I did the forehead slap thing and wondered why I didn't see that before as the obvious answer. My servos are the inexpensive 9gr variety and slightly filing off the plug corner is the ticket.

Many thanks to everyone's help!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It would sure be nice if Futaba would adapt the universal connector standard like the rest of the world.

Mike
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Beemerider

I guess yesterday was just not my day. First I cooked my charger, then thought I'd have to modify my servo leads to fit my receiver. This evening took another look at the rx and found that indeed the servo leads do fit properly without any modifications. I guess I was just tired and not thinking clearly.

My B6 charger is still zapped but at least I got my rx installed in the plane. Ordered another B6 btw. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
It would sure be nice if Futaba would adapt the universal connector standard like the rest of the world.

Mike
It would even be nicer if JR/Spektrum and Airtronics would have the Futaba orientation slots in their receiver cases as Hitec does
The slot for the Futaba orientation (not polarity) tab acts as a positive reference for orientating the JR universal style plugs without having to look for the markings on the case. Signal lead goes towards the slot, simple
FWIW, Futaba servo plugs have had the bevels on them for many years, so trimming the tab off is all that's needed to use them on JR and Airtronics receivers.
I still have JR/universal style connectors on some of my planes, for aileron connections you have to be careful to watch your wire colors, as it's easy to get them reversed. A PITA if you find out after bolting on the wing that one of your ailerons is not working. Been there, done that
Pete

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Pete - you are right that too would be great. Hitec gets it...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Friends: (0)

rcers,
I've been down a long road with connector confoosion!
My first radio, a Futaba Conquest AM used the ancient G connectors (the servo leads were actually male), my second an Attack AM with G connectors, then onto old style Airtronics with their insane plug with the negative in the center, which was a recipe for disaster.
For a long time I used only JR universal stuff, but when I got back to Futaba, I started to appreciate the tabbed J connector, especially for stuff like aileron servos extensions.
Cheers,
Pete
P.S. I'm usually right only 2 times a day, just like the brass ships bell clock in our living room, it's right only twice a day

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I use no name brand 6" extensions then just make sure red and black go together, on my aleroins.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros