Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Fuselage repair advice

I'm working on a repair and recovering of my Explorer 2M sailplane. This was an ARF of 12+ years ago that I bought but never flew until this past spring. This is the plane that I learned on (and it shows). Installed a brushless motor and have had many nice flights. This has been on the shelf for the last few months waiting on weather appropriate for repair.

I'm in process of stripping all the old covering and repairing damage when it fell from the top of a tree. (I have no idea how it got up there) I've some experience on repairing damage (gained quite a bit of experience in that this year) and I have my own ideas on this but would like to hear from some folks with far more experience than I. The tail feathers were pretty heavily damaged and I've pretty much finished that part. The entire tail section broke free from the fuse with the control rods still holding on. I'm ready to join the wayward tail but I need some direction as how to join it and keep it strong. As you can see from the pics it's a jagged break and actually it will pretty much join up with almost all the gaps filled. But I feel like it will be prone to break again unless I manage some sort of internal reinforcement. Do I cut more balsa away so I can splice in some very thin plywood?

Also you can see the stock control rods--wood dowels with clevis attached. I intend to reuse them unless there is a better alternative. I know low weight is the goal in a sailplane but that's not my primary.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001[1].jpg
Views:	122
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	164686

Name:	IMG_0002[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	164687

Name:	IMG_0003[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	164688

Name:	IMG_0004[1].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	164689
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,987 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

if the tail section will join up, use 30 min epoxy to reattach it with, it will be stronger than what you had before, fill in any gaps with a little epoxy mixed with micro Balloon, use 6mm CF tube in place of the wood dowels, its much much lighter, there your all set to go

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Beemerider

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
if the tail section will join up, use 30 min epoxy to reattach it with, it will be stronger than what you had before, fill in any gaps with a little epoxy mixed with micro Balloon, use 6mm CF tube in place of the wood dowels, its much much lighter, there your all set to go

Thanks Chellie!

So I can epoxy it back better than new! So next time it falls out of the tree the tail won't break off. Cool!!

Can I fix wings like that too?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,987 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Thanks Chellie!

So I can epoxy it back better than new! So next time it falls out of the tree the tail won't break off. Cool!!

Can I fix wings like that too?
Sure You can fix the wing that way too I will Let You Stay away from those Darn Trees they like to Reach out and Grap rc Planes out of the air As me how i know LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I'm working on a repair and recovering of my Explorer 2M sailplane. This was an ARF of 12+ years ago that I bought but never flew until this past spring. This is the plane that I learned on (and it shows). Installed a brushless motor and have had many nice flights. This has been on the shelf for the last few months waiting on weather appropriate for repair.

I'm in process of stripping all the old covering and repairing damage when it fell from the top of a tree. (I have no idea how it got up there) I've some experience on repairing damage (gained quite a bit of experience in that this year) and I have my own ideas on this but would like to hear from some folks with far more experience than I. The tail feathers were pretty heavily damaged and I've pretty much finished that part. The entire tail section broke free from the fuse with the control rods still holding on. I'm ready to join the wayward tail but I need some direction as how to join it and keep it strong. As you can see from the pics it's a jagged break and actually it will pretty much join up with almost all the gaps filled. But I feel like it will be prone to break again unless I manage some sort of internal reinforcement. Do I cut more balsa away so I can splice in some very thin plywood?

Also you can see the stock control rods--wood dowels with clevis attached. I intend to reuse them unless there is a better alternative. I know low weight is the goal in a sailplane but that's not my primary.
Yeah, I've repaired the tail ends of a fuse busted like that over the past 40 years. One way for me that was very effective, was to buy a sheet of 1/32 regular plywood, NOT lite ply!

Cut pieces of that ply to fit inside the fuse such that the tail section will fit over those pieces of ply. Do this for the left and right sides. The pieces should extend perhaps 1 1/2 inches on each side of the break. A sharp pair of sissors works very well for this purpose. (If that sissors is going to be used on fabric later on, don't get caught!)

Then with slow drying epoxy, epoxy those pieces inside the fuse and clamp til set. With more epoxy, slide the tail over the pieces of ply, and line up the balsa portions, front and back. This is critical, make certain that tail is on straight!!!!

Last but not least, when all is cured, make several more pieces of that 1/32 ply to fit on the outside of the fuse, making a sandwich of plywood inside and outside with the original balsa in between. Sand a slight taper on the pieces of 1/32 ply so the joint won't be as obvious.

If you are careful with the amount of epoxy used, this will be very light, and very likely stronger than it was originally.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
Beemerider

Your approach is pretty much what I had in mind although I wouldn't have thought to use the 1/32 ply. This is not the first time I've had to repair the tail. Learning to fly is hard on your first plane.

Many thanks to you both!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Your approach is pretty much what I had in mind although I wouldn't have thought to use the 1/32 ply. This is not the first time I've had to repair the tail. Learning to fly is hard on your first plane.

Many thanks to you both!
Your welcome!

Let us know how it works out.

DennyV
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

If the balsa marries well .... and you sort out any spilts along grain etc. - then I would use common 5 min Epoxy to join it back together ....

Any splits you find - there are ALWAYS splits in balsa when it breaks ! Carefully run CA along them - BUT only small amount - don't start soaking gobs of CA into the wood as that creates a hard point that shatters at joint to non-CA wood.

You can use inserts of balsa strip to bridge the joint ... one each side. That way you are not adding weight at tail which is usually a taboo item !!

Sorry to the suggestion of ply inserts - but that even just a few grams is adding weight. If you must add extra - use FOAM ... yes FOAM ...

For the pushrods ... CF arrow shafts ... garden flower stakes ... bamboo ..... there are loads of alternatives. I picked up a bunch of 10 flower stakes in pine 6mm rod ... $0.10 the bunch ... 30cm long. Make beautiful push rods .....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
You can use inserts of balsa strip to bridge the joint ... one each side. That way you are not adding weight at tail which is usually a taboo item !!

Sorry to the suggestion of ply inserts - but that even just a few grams is adding weight. If you must add extra - use FOAM ... yes FOAM ...

Nigel
1/8 inch thick balsa strip, or 1/32 inch thick ply inside and outside might weigh the same

Foam? This looks to be a fairly good sized model, and that tail structure has to be very strong to prevent coming apart in the air. (I've built a number of sailplanes over the years with very small fuse cross sections at the tail location)

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions