Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Friend gives me Multiplex Twister crashed model

Starting a repair thread for a smashed Multiplex Twister ...

The model will likely come with knackered EDF ... shot motor .... so now I'm looking for economic suggestions ... Hobby King based as I live in Latvia and don't have access to USA suppliers ....... for good DF unit and motor.
I rebuilt his F16 and found the 70mm really needed a 5S ... with the 2800 - 3000kv units. I am considering similar for this Twister.... Turnigy 2836 3200kv and 5S ... on a standard 6 blade DF unit.

Once I get the bits - I'll start the review of rebuild.

Any info / notes / on Twister ... very interested ... (I know there's a huge thread on RCG ... but read 4000 posts ?) ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Ok ... delivered !

First ... canopy missing ... EDF unit and hatch missing ... tail unit is not securely glued in ... TV unit is from the F16 he gave me before !

She still has all servos working and fitted ... but ailerons have shot foam hinge lines - all cracked.

First to gloue up and sort before real repairs ...

Tail now is stiff as should be.

Crack in wing filled - to be smoothed later

Ailerons cut away and rehinged with mylar strips and epoxy.

The model is now reasonably straight and what is there is serviceable.

I shall now order a 6 blade 70mm and 3200kv EDF set-up capable of 5S ... plus look at ways to sort the canopy. I can buy a new canopy via Germany from Multiplex ... but reckon I can do it with foam block or formers .. The hatch will be my usual 6mm sheeet depron work.

The TV unit will be disabled .... until all is sorted then I will decide whether to activate or remove.

Overall the model is not so bad that a bit of warm air to straighten some, bit of glue and foam here and there will sort rest.

Colour scheme ? The Twister reminds me of the Folland Gnat, the plane used by Red Arrows before the Hawk ... so that may be the scheme ... Red is good anyway in the air.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Power plant ...

as I said in previous post ...

3200kv 5S capable 2836 Outrunner

6 blade 70mm standard HK fan unit

60A Opto ESC

Ubec

5S 3000 LiPo

Above should give it a really good thrust ratio as factory is 3600kv on 4S and most reports are moderate to good performance but nothing spectacular.
I've watched a Twister on 4S set-up correctly and she flew ... just needed a touch more IMHO ...

Nigel

Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Test run on red ... see what ..

Looks not so bad ...

Now canopy ... this will be framed foam job ...

She's actually starting to look ok ...

Nigel

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Folland Gnat (Red Arrows) :

Nigel

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Canopy ... this is an awkward shape .. with double curvature ...

I tried planking :

Works but not happy ...

So out with block ...

This is now painted white base ... to lock the sanded foam ... then will be painted final ... it's more square, but to be honest given rest of models general condition - will fair in well enough.

Nigel

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Could she be too tail-heavy?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Could she be too tail-heavy?
Checking with other Twister flyers - they all reckon to set CoG slightly ahead of the factory dimples ... which I did. So she should be ok.

I rechecked with original owner about the thrust line - he reckoned he had trouble till he dialled in a couple degrees down on the vector unit.

She has a hook for catapult now - so next maiden will be by bungee - so g'tee for a straight launch and no pitched up throw.

Nigel

Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The flight was uninteresting to be honest ... nowhere near speed I expected. Then motor died ... and she fell like a brick !

Having nothing better to do and cost of new would stop me getting another 50 or 64mm model ... I decided to finish the nose repair.

So recap .... after the 'didn't as much fly, as plummet' when engine died ... home and cut away the rubbish :

Cut to create stepped interlocking sections for repair :

Foam block underside :

Then laminated locking pieces to create nose :

Note the intake extensions made as well ...

All sanded and shaped ... then painted ...

All up weight has saved about 100gr against her original and balances just a shade ahead of the 'dimples' ....
The nose interior is cavernous now, with a lot of the unnecessary foam left out. I can now slot the battery back and place other gear forward to help with the balance problem this model has with its distinct oversize nose.

Nigel

Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
babylon5

Friends: (1)

Sorry to hear you crashed the plane after all the hard work you put into the repair job Did you find why the engine died during the brief launch?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

No idea ... unfortunately the guy who video'd the flight missed the important bit ... so I have no really good vid to do post-crash check out with.

She's ready to go again ... but to be honest it's a dog ! I only really put her back together as it seemed a shame to waste the frame. It's not a bad looking machine - but it's old school and not really competitive with todays offerings. Underpowered and draggy in poor quality foam.

But it's there ... still rigged to go - so I shall continue on till she's pounded to mash !! The 70mm will then go into a scratchbuild to see if I can get a 70mm to actually perform ...

Nigel

Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

I just got caught up on this thread -- Good work and sorry for the mishap

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
I just got caught up on this thread -- Good work and sorry for the mishap
Tks ...

That's life I'm afraid ...

The model is a dog ... the tail section flex's and elevators are too thin, whole stab moves on the fin.
Nose section is like a baseball bat end - fat !! and can only slow it down.

Intakes are poorly shaped and air flow must be affected to DF.

It's a dog ... it's old style foam ... badly balanced in design ..

My advice - spend money elsewhere ...

I shall carry on though - seeing as it was a freebie !! and only cost me a EDF unit basically.

Nigel

Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Pushers ARE always bad news if they can not get to speed quickly.

I agree completly with your tractor pulling out of a stall.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Saw one at our field today. Nigel, you're right . What a dog ! I think it was one of the early edf's and it shows.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Saw one at our field today. Nigel, you're right . What a dog ! I think it was one of the early edf's and it shows.
Painted up - looks OK ... and if kept light - by videos on Youtube seems to fly ok. But you only have to touch the horizontal stab and elevator to feel how flex that is ...
The nose is far too bulky ... needs iron shot embedded in tail to counter.

Yes ... a Dog !

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets