Starting a repair thread for a smashed Multiplex Twister ...
The model will likely come with knackered EDF ... shot motor .... so now I'm looking for economic suggestions ... Hobby King based as I live in Latvia and don't have access to USA suppliers ....... for good DF unit and motor.
I rebuilt his F16 and found the 70mm really needed a 5S ... with the 2800 - 3000kv units. I am considering similar for this Twister.... Turnigy 2836 3200kv and 5S ... on a standard 6 blade DF unit.
Once I get the bits - I'll start the review of rebuild.
Any info / notes / on Twister ... very interested ... (I know there's a huge thread on RCG ... but read 4000 posts ?) ...
First ... canopy missing ... EDF unit and hatch missing ... tail unit is not securely glued in ... TV unit is from the F16 he gave me before !
She still has all servos working and fitted ... but ailerons have shot foam hinge lines - all cracked.
First to gloue up and sort before real repairs ...
Tail now is stiff as should be.
Crack in wing filled - to be smoothed later
Ailerons cut away and rehinged with mylar strips and epoxy.
The model is now reasonably straight and what is there is serviceable.
I shall now order a 6 blade 70mm and 3200kv EDF set-up capable of 5S ... plus look at ways to sort the canopy. I can buy a new canopy via Germany from Multiplex ... but reckon I can do it with foam block or formers .. The hatch will be my usual 6mm sheeet depron work.
The TV unit will be disabled .... until all is sorted then I will decide whether to activate or remove.
Overall the model is not so bad that a bit of warm air to straighten some, bit of glue and foam here and there will sort rest.
Colour scheme ? The Twister reminds me of the Folland Gnat, the plane used by Red Arrows before the Hawk ... so that may be the scheme ... Red is good anyway in the air.
Above should give it a really good thrust ratio as factory is 3600kv on 4S and most reports are moderate to good performance but nothing spectacular.
I've watched a Twister on 4S set-up correctly and she flew ... just needed a touch more IMHO ...
The flight was uninteresting to be honest ... nowhere near speed I expected. Then motor died ... and she fell like a brick !
Having nothing better to do and cost of new would stop me getting another 50 or 64mm model ... I decided to finish the nose repair.
So recap .... after the 'didn't as much fly, as plummet' when engine died ... home and cut away the rubbish :
Cut to create stepped interlocking sections for repair :
Foam block underside :
Then laminated locking pieces to create nose :
Note the intake extensions made as well ...
All sanded and shaped ... then painted ...
All up weight has saved about 100gr against her original and balances just a shade ahead of the 'dimples' ....
The nose interior is cavernous now, with a lot of the unnecessary foam left out. I can now slot the battery back and place other gear forward to help with the balance problem this model has with its distinct oversize nose.
No idea ... unfortunately the guy who video'd the flight missed the important bit ... so I have no really good vid to do post-crash check out with.
She's ready to go again ... but to be honest it's a dog ! I only really put her back together as it seemed a shame to waste the frame. It's not a bad looking machine - but it's old school and not really competitive with todays offerings. Underpowered and draggy in poor quality foam.
But it's there ... still rigged to go - so I shall continue on till she's pounded to mash !! The 70mm will then go into a scratchbuild to see if I can get a 70mm to actually perform ...
Saw one at our field today. Nigel, you're right . What a dog ! I think it was one of the early edf's and it shows.
Painted up - looks OK ... and if kept light - by videos on Youtube seems to fly ok. But you only have to touch the horizontal stab and elevator to feel how flex that is ...
The nose is far too bulky ... needs iron shot embedded in tail to counter.