Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)
Default who makes this?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a387-21792-bf109-arf.html
I need more experience before I try anything like this. But my birthday is in a few months and this would look good on a stand until I get the proper experience.

But I have never heard of this brand before and as of right now no spare parts available. Is there a DSM2 compatable reciever that would work in this?

I'll probably reluctantly stay clear of this plane. Just wanted some opinions.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I've never heard of that brand before but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Any DSM2 Rx should work with it.

What's your experience flying? What equipment do you currently have? (Planes, Tx, charger, etc.)

Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Right now I am only running my newly rebuilt Champ on my DX6i.

I fixed my pzT28 after the crash but I do not really want to fly it again until I get some actual training.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

there was a discussion about that plane. it was said that it is actually made by airfield. its small and a little twitchy to fly according to the guys that owned it.

any spektrum receiver will work with your dx6i so finding a dsm2 receiver is very easy. if you like the bf-109's, tower hobbies has a pretty good one!!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Cool thanks! I'll look up that tower hobby product.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Is Airfield the same brand as FMS?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
hoghead5150

as far as i know, airfield, and fms are different brands. but who knows, they may be made in the same chinese sweatshop.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

when buying any plane...make sure you can find replacement parts !!! if you crash on your second flight, and break your main wing in half...can you get another ?

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Well if they do not show any available parts within about 60 days I'll know there is no way I would buy this thing.

I plan to spend a lot of hours during this time flying my T28.

I will get a BF109 for my birthday in April. It has been my favorite plane my whole life. I know it is not a very good 3rd plane to have but I am determined. Which is why spare parts is a must. So yes, I'll be getting a 109. Which one I will do plenty of research before I decide.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Mattman0182, when you get more experienced at building and flying here is a Zero that you can build and set up to any level of performance you like without spending a lot of money.

Plane: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=A3077662

Motor mount: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...69&pid=V035124

Motor: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D2625027 ( use this one with an APC 9X6E)

Alternative motor: https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224111 (use this one with an APC 9X5E)

Any 25 or 30 amp ESC and any 3S 1100 to 1300 30C lipo. The battery compartment needs to be sanded for the battery fit before the two fuselage halves are glued together. Everything else is stock and you can paint it to any scheme you like. I prefer Tamiya paints.

Here is one of mine with a 4900 KV 20mm inrunner motor in a 3:1 gear box turning a 9X7 3 blade GWS prop.

My wife is a lousy camera operator but you can see by the takeoff that this is not a plane for the timid flyer.

By the way, the landing was botched and I set it down in the grass on the far side of the fence but no damage. I was trying to come in low and slow so my wife could see it but they wind shifted and I had to set it down. I flew it again after changing the battery.

You really should give it a try when you think you are ready. There is nothing more fun than building and flying a custom plane.

John.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Do you have JATO or RATO on that Zero?!?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

View crash_out's Gallery2
Club: No club, I'm a renegade!!!
Send a message via MSN to crash_out Send a message via Yahoo to crash_out
Awards Showcase

2kW  WAA-08 Pilot  1kW 
Friends: (6)

I like the Bf-109's as well.

If you've got the room for a larger plane, the Parkzone model is a nice one. It's relatively easy to fly for a warbird.

I have a Kyosho Minium model as well. It's absolutely beautiful sitting on the shelf, but it doesn't fly very well. It's fast, twitchy, and the quality of it isn't very great. It looks almost identical spec-wise the the one you posted.

You can still find the GWS model available in some shops. I wouldn't say it would be a great second, third, or even fourth plane, though. As I recall they were pretty snap happy.

-nick
TANSTAAFL!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default just for starters

It's probably not exactly what you want, but Hobbyking make a profile bf109 in their "Warbird" secton for about $30.00, but more importantly, it is entirely EPP, a far more robust and durable foam material than anything else on the market. You can get the hang of a low wing warbird, without the stress of damaging a more expensive "scale " Bf 109. Companies like GWS, parkzone, Dynam, Alfa etc all make very nice looking, but easily damaged, more expensive , and more dificult to repair "back to new " warbirds. Who knows, you may be able to build up a full bodied fuse for it using blank EPP, sometime in the future. In the mean time, consider it an interim, affordable stepping stone. Just a thought.....
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Those are all really good ideas.
I think it will depend on how well i do with the training. This will be done by an actual trainer.
It will likely be the FMS mini 109. I love the Dynam bird but it would suck to crash her.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club

Airfield IS FMS, it's Nitroplanes rebadge for them. Whatever they're getting now in place of the FMS planes they lost is being called Airfield too. It's just their name for them. Kinda like Banana Hobby's Blitz R.C. Works is mostly Art Tech stuff, or at least their helicopters are.

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

The "Tex" 109 looks very similar to the one being sold on HK, I wonder if they are also the same. Either way, there are no spare parts available.
And pardon the dumb question, but why did NitroPlanes "lose" FMS?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...rch=messerschm
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club

Not sure. I'm thinking Banana Hobby offered them a better proposition than Raiden Tech (Nitroplanes) did, so Nitro lost exclusivity. Whatever the Airfield's are NOW, it really is too bad they lost FMS, because what they're offering now doesn't look NEARLY as robust as FMS does...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #18
fhhuber
Super Contributor

While learning you are usually better off with something 1.2 meter or larger wingspan... Bigger means it will inherently respond slower to your controls giving you more time to see the mistake before the plane is all the way upside down.

If you are having trouble with a T-28 (trainer) A Me-109 (high performance fighter) of any size is a bad idea.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
While learning you are usually better off with something 1.2 meter or larger wingspan... Bigger means it will inherently respond slower to your controls giving you more time to see the mistake before the plane is all the way upside down.

If you are having trouble with a T-28 (trainer) A Me-109 (high performance fighter) of any size is a bad idea.
Which is why I am in no hurry to get it. I will be learning on my UM-P40.
I got my pal into the hobby, he first flew my Champ, then got himself a UM Corsair and has made the transition very well.

I never even really flew the T-28. I had a crash on take-off and repaired the plane. I have not touched it since. Honestly I should not have gotten the T28 at all. It is too big to hand launch and too expensive to crash. I could get 3 micro planes for the price of that thing. I could even get multiple planes of the same size as the PZ T28 for around the same price as the T28. I refuse to touch the Trojan again until I am good at flying the P40.

My bad experience with the Trojan has left me with a trepidation of attempting to fly it again. It is even tempting to sell it, but I'd never get near what I paid for it. Perhaps my mind will change but until then it sits in my closet.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #20
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)
Thumbs up

these guys are now starting to carry all the FMS Stuff...i have already ordered from them....super service, great shipping prices !

http://www.motionrc.com/fms/

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I will be learning on my UM-P40.
I got my pal into the hobby, he first flew my Champ, then got himself a UM Corsair and has made the transition very well.
Good luck - but one thing - the micro's won't teach you to fly faster. They are just not capable of that. They won't teach you to fly a heavier plane.

I never even really flew the T-28. I had a crash on take-off and repaired the plane. I have not touched it since. Honestly I should not have gotten the T28 at all. It is too big to hand launch and too expensive to crash.
Sorry but don't blame the T-28 it is a magnificent plane. Crashing is a part of the hobby if that scares you off - it is likely not for you. It really is a magic plane! At some point you must transition to larger faster stuff or your skills will never develop.

I could get 3 micro planes for the price of that thing. I could even get multiple planes of the same size as the PZ T28 for around the same price as the T28. I refuse to touch the Trojan again until I am good at flying the P40.
Good idea - practice up but the P40 isn't my favorite micro. Not sure it is a great trainer.

My bad experience with the Trojan has left me with a trepidation of attempting to fly it again. It is even tempting to sell it, but I'd never get near what I paid for it. Perhaps my mind will change but until then it sits in my closet.
But you have to get back in the saddle again. Remember it is part of learning. I crashed many planes learning (self taught many years ago).

Obviously you can't sell a used crashed airplane for what you paid for a brand new one. Used ones are only 50% value.

I hope you change your mind - get better but don't blame the T-28 it is a gem. Is there someone who can help you transition to faster planes? It really helps to have an instructor, just as others are pointing out.

One day, mark my works, you will come back to this thread and laugh as you will have no issue with flying. Learning is good!

Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #22
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note that 5 minutes of in-person buddy-box instruction can save you YEARS of crashing models...

sometimes all it takes is the more experienced guy watching you fly for a couple of minutes and him telling you a simple hint to correct something you do wrong every time.

If you practice doing something the wrong way you'll become very good at doing it wrong.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Mattman,

I understand your angst about the T-28. But give it time. Trust me, you'll come back to her and realize she's really a great plane. Was one of my favorites. It became a platform for experimentation. Hopped it up to 4S- Screamed. Changed it to a tail dragger. Better on grass. Installed 3 axis gyro for windy days. All was great until dummy me was focused on watch the gyro action and smacker her head-on into a tree. RIP. Unsalvageable.

The T-28 actually flew better and truer than the C-182. I'd recommend it to anyone as a second plane. I'm not the best hand launcher myself, but the T-28 is not too big for hand launching. In fact, it was rather easy as I've done it several times. And if I can do it without help, anyone can. Don't have to be a quarterback.

I'd be much more leary about the micros or mini's. To me, they are much more challenging to fly. Twitchy without a gyro. Even with a gyro.

The 4S T-28 was plenty fast but ironically, what has improved my skills has been the ultra cheap, scratchbuilt, dollar tree, profile, prop in the slot, park jets. Loads of fun for low $$$ , highly maneuverable, good speed, etc. I have well over 100 flights on the F-22, many of them in combat. Keeps coming back for more.

Want something really fast? Try the JPowers Rare Bear. It's faster than any of the edf's I have. Like a pylon racer.

Hang in there on the T-28 but if you must sell it, let me know first ! I miss mine.

-Hawk
Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I really want to thank you guys for your constant advice!

There is a club near me but it is hard to find a time available because of my job and the weather.

One thing to never underestimate about me: I have been obsessed with aviation, history, and rc my entire life. This hobby ties them together. I do get very frustrated at times but I will never ever quit.

As for the T28. I never got a chance to fly because I never really took off lol.
It has a new cowl and elevator. I epoxied some dowel rods into the back of the wing and drilled a couple little holes in the fuselage to slide them into. I epoxied the Front wing mount back in so I can still screw that part of the wing back on. I have been building static models my whole life, so aside from electronics, I can repair.

Now my decision..... Keeping the T28. Selling the Traxxas 1/16 rally.

When the good weather comes back, I will fly buddy box or no.
I plan to try a hand launch with the Trojan. I got a pal that can help if need be. I think once in the air I can hold my own.

Is the Trojan an okay belly lander? If the local park is full I'd have to go to the massive field behind my house which is too rough for normal takeoff anyway.

If I tell myself I can't do something then I have failed right from the start.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Hand launching is many times more difficult than rise off ground. Why the strong urge for that?

One of the magic things about it are touch and goes. You really should give that a try - as it is much friendlier to rookies.

Also, make the time! Everyone gets a day off - meet up with someone!

Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics