Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
LowThudd

Friends: (0)
Default New(to me) Storm 450

I have flown a micro indoor some, and a few months ago bought a cheapie 250 size single blade for $30 at hobbytron. Well, that garbage lasted about 5 min, but the bug hit me even as it was hovering directly into a chopper eating tree with little or no control from the 2 ch radio to avoid it. I won this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200887557281...84.m1439.l2649

While I understand it is not 100% Align compatible, I believe the mechanicals are standard align clone. If not, I'll replace the frame etc to make it a clone.

One thing I am unclear on is FBL converting. First off, is a FBL gyro required? If so, what have you had good experience with?

How much more difficult will it be to fly FBL for a newer pilot? Is it worth getting experience with a flybar first? TIA
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
I have flown a micro indoor some, and a few months ago bought a cheapie 250 size single blade for $30 at hobbytron. Well, that garbage lasted about 5 min, but the bug hit me even as it was hovering directly into a chopper eating tree with little or no control from the 2 ch radio to avoid it. I won this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200887557281...84.m1439.l2649

While I understand it is not 100% Align compatible, I believe the mechanicals are standard align clone. If not, I'll replace the frame etc to make it a clone.

One thing I am unclear on is FBL converting. First off, is a FBL gyro required? If so, what have you had good experience with?

How much more difficult will it be to fly FBL for a newer pilot? Is it worth getting experience with a flybar first? TIA

Hi, The FBL gyro is required if converting from Flybar to FBL, it looks like you bought a 450 TRex clone at a good price with everything, double check the servos, the HXT 9 Gram servos will work in this heli, or digital EFlite servos that you can buy on EBay, nice project heli if you dont have the manual, you can down load a manual for a Trex 450 and that should get you very close for repairs and setting up, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

build it stock and Learn the flybar set up and later convert the heli to FBL.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
LowThudd

Thanks Chellie. Sounds like good advice. Yes, I think I will use the factory radio at first, before programming a settup on my 9x for it. Seems easier that way. It looks from the pics that only one link bar is missing. Should be an easy fix as long as the electronics are OK.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thanks Chellie. Sounds like good advice. Yes, I think I will use the factory radio at first, before programming a settup on my 9x for it. Seems easier that way. It looks from the pics that only one link bar is missing. Should be an easy fix as long as the electronics are OK.
There are lot and lots of parts for these helis, use wood blades when first learning to fly , they will splinter and save your heli in a crash by absorbing the shock,

http://blog.flying-hobby.com/manual/...x-450se-manual

http://blog.flying-hobby.com/wp-cont...0SE-Manual.pdf

Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
LowThudd

Got the beast today. It appears to be completely intact! Also came with a spare head and some fuel motor parts. Sweet deal for $55! This has a belt driven tail, which I have heard is a good thing for a beginner. Any advice for making sure everything is functional?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

maybe these videos might help

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
LowThudd

It has one dead servo. Gears stripped. No biggie. I think I'll invest in some metal gear digital servos, seeing as how much use they will get.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
LowThudd

Maybe these? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Digital/Detail
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Check The Case Size of that servo , thats a 12 Gram servo, it might be a little to big to fit, if its the size of a tower pro 9 gram servo, then you should be ok, Check the speed on the servo too, you need a fast servo for the Tail rotor for the gyro to work right. hope that helps, Chellie

Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
LowThudd

Found a bunch of loose screws throughout the head, so it needed to come out of the heli. Thanks for the Manual Chellie, that will come in handy getting it back together. lol Time to get out the loctite .
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
LowThudd

Got the head back together, with some upgraded pieces that were included. I also had a servo with matching specs that I installed(for the time being). NOW the collective pitch is working. With a stuck servo, I couldn't figure it out. Spins much easier with the new bearings and three working servos.

I have to say, this is the coolest project I have had since I repadded a sax on my own(my first sax). Lets hope I can fly better than I play woodwinds. lol
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
LowThudd

Had to take the head apart again, as the feathering shaft is bent. I straightened it, but I'm not going to run it that way. Pretty much wanted to shake apart.

Also, I am having trouble with the ESC. When I plug in the heli with the Tx throttle lock on and then turn the throttle lock off, the motor starts turning as though the throttle is applied when it is all the way down. If I then reset the ESC and plug in the batt with the throttle lock off, the throttle functions normally.

Is this a Tx or an ESC problem? It is a pretty serious problem.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Had to take the head apart again, as the feathering shaft is bent. I straightened it, but I'm not going to run it that way. Pretty much wanted to shake apart.

Also, I am having trouble with the ESC. When I plug in the heli with the Tx throttle lock on and then turn the throttle lock off, the motor starts turning as though the throttle is applied when it is all the way down. If I then reset the ESC and plug in the batt with the throttle lock off, the throttle functions normally.

Is this a Tx or an ESC problem? It is a pretty serious problem.
It Sounds like a Transmitter programing Problem to me, what transmitter, receiver, ESC and motor do you have, and once in a Great while, a esc might not like a certain motor, that problem does not happen very offten, but it does happen.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
LowThudd

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
It Sounds like a Transmitter programing Problem to me, what transmitter, receiver, ESC and motor do you have, and once in a Great while, a esc might not like a certain motor, that problem does not happen very offten, but it does happen.
It is all the factory Storm 3800kv motor, 30A ESC and ST-06TX Tx. Maybe I should switch to my 9x. I only have one FrSky Rx or I would have already. That Rx is in my Cub. I guess I can swap it, I just kept the Storm electronics because I was hoping to avoid programming issues.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
LowThudd

I should say that once the Tx and Rx connection is established with the T.Lock off, the throttle lock will then function normally.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
LowThudd

Must have been the controller. I switched to my 9x w/ Open9x FW and the throttle lock works fine now.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Must have been the controller. I switched to my 9x w/ Open9x FW and the throttle lock works fine now.
Thats good to hear sometimes it can be almost anything causing the problem, Glad you got it fixed, Take care and have fun, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk