Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)
Default AMA mambership - a waste of money?

I sent in my $68 dollars (it went up!) for membership, mainly so I could retain membership in my 'local' flying club and use their very large field. Well, when I got my confirmation and new card it also came with an flyer announcing that AMA members can receive a discount on their [Nationwide] car insurance! Well it turns out that my truck is insured by Nationwide (both have been for over a decade) so I took the flyer and my card in to see what this was all about, as it was about time for me to renew anyway.

Well it seems they do offer this discount, so while one lady took my card to be Xeroxed, my agent figured out what my new rate would be. Turns out that I will now be paying $72 less per year! Not only does this completely offset my AMA membership fee, but if you do the math you'll see that technically the AMA is actually paying me $4 a year to be one of their members!

Not much of a waste at all, it seems!

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

It's been months since we've had a good "AMA is a waste of money" thread.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Man, I was all ready to read a good rant....... I am disappointed.

Good on ya, I wonder if USAA dose the same thing?

Which reminds me I need to renew.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Bubblehead21

Club: SEFSD - Silent Electric Flyers San Diego
Friends: (1)

did anyone find out if USAA offers the same deal?
this is pretty nice.... save the cost of membership!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
d_wheel

Friends: (0)

I know of a couple of occasions where they have paid off, so their insurance seems good. Our flying site is in a city park and the city requires insurance. AMA is just the easiest, simplest, way for me to comply. The magazine in my case seems worthless, so I opted out when I renewed this year. I can look at the on line magazine and won't have to contribute the over full land fill.

Later;

D.W.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

" Mambership" is required in our neck of the woods. The liability insurance is the key thing

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
swimmer

Friends: (2)

New Years Resolution for me: After flying for many years I plan to become an AMA member in 2014. I also plan on checking out/joining the local RC club. (Feeling very tentative about the rc club thing, however.)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Swimmer, don't feel bad about checking out those clubs. While I've heard horror stories about some, the 2 I'm in are full of interesting, helpful, and fun people. I'll bet more are in the fun category. You might be missing out on something. You don't have to join to just go see. When you have your AMA card, bring a plane and see if they'll invite you to fly as a guest.

This thread reminds me to go renew everything now!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

In the near future, it may become illegal to fly any kind of RC if you're NOT an AMA member.

It will depend on the exact wording of the new FAA proposal and how it gets translated into law.

Keep your fingers crossed that thats the only 'bad' thing to come out of the new regs that are on the way

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
swimmer

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
In the near future, it may become illegal to fly any kind of RC if you're NOT an AMA member.

It will depend on the exact wording of the new FAA proposal and how it gets translated into law.

Keep your fingers crossed that thats the only 'bad' thing to come out of the new regs that are on the way
A law like that would be unenforceable and is discriminatory. There's that old Constitution thing again. The AMA would cease to exist or be radically diminished due to competition from other established or new model airplane associations when it is unlawful to fly if you aren't a member of some organization. RC airplane manufacturers would go out of business. Kinda like telling people you can't buy/own a gun.

Besides, there is nothing wrong flying without an AMA membership and we in this country still have a choice in some things. Want to kill the AMA....just let a law like this get passed.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
A law like that would be unenforceable and is discriminatory. There's that old Constitution thing again. The AMA would cease to exist or be radically diminished due to competition from other established or new model airplane associations when it is unlawful to fly if you aren't a member of some organization. RC airplane manufacturers would go out of business. Kinda like telling people you can't buy/own a gun.

Besides, there is nothing wrong flying without an AMA membership and we in this country still have a choice in some things. Want to kill the AMA....just let a law like this get passed.
I used to think that too, until our forced, national health care law. Don't want to turn this political, but now we have precedence.

I too think that will cause competition and we will see other "nationally based organizations" pop up. The law will not say you have to go with one (AMA) but will give choices, but would indeed be able to force membership. They will certainly be the go-to choice however.

Several AMA alternatives have been setup in the past. SFA, UMA for example. There is another one, in the wings, prepping for the FAA ruling. I can't find that site now after searching but suspect you are right we will see others.

But overall I don't think it will hurt AMA much and in fact you will see their flock grow, rather dramatically.

Mike
Old 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
But overall I don't think it will hurt AMA much and in fact you will see their flock grow, rather dramatically.

Mike
Totally agree. I joined for that reason alone the laws that are coming soon and a fear that they will one day shut down the local soccer field I fly at to all RC flight. Many years ago I understand there was a glow/nitro plane club there and they were quick rid of them.

New Years Resolution for me: After flying for many years I plan to become an AMA member in 2014. I also plan on checking out/joining the local RC club. (Feeling very tentative about the rc club thing, however.)
Swimmer I am feeling the exact same way, as said above I just recently joined the AMA and have been considering joining the local club here. I have to attend 3 meetings, just to get to know them, and the first went rather well and seem to be a nice bunch of guys. Time will tell

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

You seem to think that anything you want to do is a "right". Thats not true at all and never has been. Many of them are privileges - not rights. There is a very big difference and they are NOT guaranteed by the constitution in any way shape or form.

Here are just a very few of the 'privileges' that require a 'license' (Government approval) of some sort before you can do them legally. Many of these also require government inspections of the vehicle, thing or device as well as a personal license before you can use/do them legally.

Drive a car
Fly an airplane
Operate a boat
drive a train
drive a buss
drive a taxi
In many places bicycles have to be registered.
practice medicine
practice law
carry a concealed weapon
use a public park
go fishing
go hunting
operate a business
build a home
live in a home
own a restaurant
etc, etc, etc.....

Flying RC models is a privilege - not a right guaranteed by law.

In fact, there are already any number of ways and places where it is 100% illegal to fly RC or operate an rc car or boat.

99.99% of the current laws regulating RC are from LOCAL governments - not federal.

The only federal laws currently on the books have to do with interfering with full scale flight operations and operating rc models on federal park lands.

This new law is/will be just an extension of the current law.

Larry
Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
...Here are just a very few of the 'privileges' that require a 'license' (Government approval) of some sort before you can do them legally. Many of these also require government inspections of the vehicle, thing or device as well as a personal license before you can use/do them legally.

Drive a car
Fly an airplane
Operate a boat
drive a train
drive a buss
drive a taxi
In many places bicycles have to be registered.
practice medicine
practice law
carry a concealed weapon
use a public park
go fishing
go hunting
operate a business
build a home
live in a home
own a restaurant
etc, etc, etc.....
You forgot spandex.

Well, it should be a privilege!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

One more thing - the new law may not require you to actually join the AMA or another similar organization. It may only require you to follow their "safety rules" as approved by the FAA.

You might still be legal if you're NOT an AMA member as long as you're following the AMA safety guidelines while you're flying AND obeying all other local, State and Federal laws.

We will have to see how the law is actually worded.

Larry
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
swimmer

Larry, Larry Larry...Take a deep breath, Son. You don't know what I think so please don't make an argument out of this persons thread. I'll not argue with you even though you took my post totally out of context and made up a bunch based on your assumptions. I'm beginning to remember why I have avoided the AMA and organized clubs like a plague for so many years.

And...one more thing, Larry, I've never thought of RC flying as a right, privilege or anything else other than FUN! If we lose that perspective we should find something else to do.

By the way, I've spent most of the afternoon transferring data from my DX7 and DX6i to my new DX8. Now, that is a chore!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I thought it was more about having some liability insurance more than anything. But if you hit a baby stroller or fly through someone's windshield, that won't be enough to deter a trial lawyer.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
thosmosis

Friends: (0)

What about the Park Pilot program? I just got that -- kind of by accident. I assumed that it was just the full membership and didn't know that it wasn't. My idea was to join the local club. So, I got the membership, and went on the site to join, and saw. Park Pilot not allowed. Only full member. I was a little disappointed. But now that I ended up teaching my self to fly -- learning along side another newb that lives near me, I realize that I would have never gone to the club field anyway. Well, at least not now. All of my stuff is small -- so I can go closer to home and fly.

But I know that the Park Pilot program comes with less insurance and all. But beyond being able to join a "real" club, how different are the two?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
What about the Park Pilot program? I just got that -- kind of by accident. I assumed that it was just the full membership and didn't know that it wasn't. My idea was to join the local club. So, I got the membership, and went on the site to join, and saw. Park Pilot not allowed. Only full member. I was a little disappointed. But now that I ended up teaching my self to fly -- learning along side another newb that lives near me, I realize that I would have never gone to the club field anyway. Well, at least not now. All of my stuff is small -- so I can go closer to home and fly.

But I know that the Park Pilot program comes with less insurance and all. But beyond being able to join a "real" club, how different are the two?
If you really want to join that club, you do have the option of upgrading your Park Pilot membership for a full membership by paying the difference.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post

Did the same thing here and called AMA, they were very accommodating to help me upgrade to full fledged member. The big difference was the insurance if I recall. Scott
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Talking

Mymymy... And here I thought I had just made a simple comment on how the discount to my auto insurance had more than payed off the membership dues. Guess I shoulda known better.

It's not unlike mentioning the "H-word" in a bicycling forum!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
It's not unlike mentioning the "H-word" in a bicycling forum!
HUFFY!

Sorry, I just had to.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
HUFFY!

Sorry, I just had to.
LOL....hey, my Huffy lasted me 10 years before I went Schwinn......!

AMA 928214
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
LOL....hey, my Huffy lasted me 10 years before I went Schwinn......!
Was that a real Schwinn? Or it's imposter? Schwinn went bankrupt in 1993; the ones you see (mainly in the X-Marts) these days are Schwinns in trademark only.

In 1993 Richard Schwinn, great-grandson of Ignaz Schwinn, with business partner Marc Muller, purchased the Schwinn Paramount plant in Waterford, Wisconsin, where Paramounts were built since 1980. They founded Waterford Precision Cycles, which is still in operation. They are the closest you can get to a genuine Schwinn, unless you buy used.

And the "H-word" in this case is "helmet".

Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Yeah,

My wife is related to the Schwinn family. They had a gorgeous lake house on Lake Geneva in Wisc. Miss my Schwinn Stingray but I digress. LOL

Back on point- Why would anyone not want to join AMA or hope that your home owners liability insurance covers hitting the baby stroller at a park?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions