Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Friends: (0)
Default best charger

What is the best charger for around $100 to $125 that charges more then 1 lipo at a time and charges fast
Old 12-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

When I got back into the hobby a few years ago, the club President told me" Just get the best charger you can afford. "

You'll get a lot of opinions on this. I have the the Icharger 208B and love it. I'm using a 350W PS and my paraboard has connectors for EC3, XT-60 and deans. Will handle up to 8S. The biggest lipos I have is a 5S. Check out EPbuddy and ProgressiveRC. Both are good shops.

Cellpros and Powerlabs are good too.

I do have an ICharger 206B that I'm not using. Actually replaced it with the 208B when it was stolen. But I ended up getting it back when they caught the thief. I'd make you a geal on it. Have a paraboard too. EC3 connectors. You would still need a PS. For lipos with different type of connectors I use adaptor cables.

Interested , just send me a PM..

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
When I got back into the hobby a few years ago, the club President told me" Just get the best charger you can afford. "

You'll get a lot of opinions on this. I have the the Icharger 208B and love it. I'm using a 350W PS and my paraboard has connectors for EC3, XT-60 and deans. Will handle up to 8S. The biggest lipos I have is a 5S. Check out EPbuddy and ProgressiveRC. Both are good shops.

I do have an ICharger 206B that I'm not using. Actually replaced it with the 208B when it was stolen. But I ended up getting it back when they caught the thief. I'd make you a geal on it. Have a paraboard too. EC3 connectors. You would still need a PS. For lipos with different type of connectors I use adaptor cables.

-Hawk
Just a thought, if your new charger should quit, you're up a creek without a charger! (That's why I bought a second Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
radiocycle

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post

-Hawk
You wouldn't still have that Icharger to sell, wouldya?

radio
Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by egrave1 View Post
What is the best charger for around $100 to $125 that charges more then 1 lipo at a time and charges fast
Several club members have the Hitec model as below. It has a max output of 6 amps, and four channels. The charger is limited to 80 watts per channel, so if you're charging a 6S LiPo, you will be limited to a 3 Amp maximum charging rate.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FcpDMgodyj0Arg

The Cellpros are good, I've got two Cellpro Powerlab 8's and use them to charge my 12S2P A123 cells in 15 minutes. But, that charger is pulling 55 Amps out of your 12 Volt power supply in the process. Forget about connecting that unit to a deep cycle battery while pulling 55 Amps. That will promptly kill just about any deep cycle lead acid battery. Don't ask.

Cellpro chargers only allow charging one battery at a time, or you can parallel connect them with Cellpro parallel cable accessories.

Three or four members have the Cellpro 10xP chargers. A nice fairly high powered charger.

Unfortunately, high quality AND high power LiPo battery chargers are not compatible with cheap prices!

DennyV
Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The charger Dennis linked above looks great, but remember it still needs a 12v power supply. Also, how fast you can charge your batteries depends as much (if not more) on the batteries as the charger. You need to buy quality ($$$) batteries if you want to charge them faster than 1c.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
The charger Dennis linked above looks great, but remember it still needs a 12v power supply. Also, how fast you can charge your batteries depends as much (if not more) on the batteries as the charger. You need to buy quality ($$$) batteries if you want to charge them faster than 1c.
One reason I've been using those over sized, over weight, under voltage A123 cells. You can charge them at any rate your charger can put out. As for me, I'm charging mine at 10 Amps per cell.

As such, those 12S2P battery packs in my giant scale models are being charged as a 6S4P pack, with the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger charging at 30 Amps.

Those A123's don't even get warm doing this. In fact, I've had them sitting in the hot sun for a period of time, and found they've cooled off immediately after a hard flight.

DennyV
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Actually most batteries these days are specified as safe to charge at 2 or 3c. The higher spec ones are 5c or more.

A couple of chargers with multi output (so you can charge different cell batteries simultaneously) that look very good on paper are these from Hobbyking:

Dual 400W output (800W total): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_800W_.html

Quat 100W output (400W total): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Charger.html

I dont pretend that these are 'the best' chargers money can buy but bang for buck they are very hard to beat.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers