Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Confused and excited Taranis

So I have been watching the Turnigh 9x for a while now. I really love the idea of open source, and am a big Linux fan. I just couldn't seem to make myself pop for the transmitter programming interface etc.

Enter the Taranis. What an awesome device..... Always backordered... Sh..t

so I have been thinking I really would like to have a taranis, but I am also thinking I would be happy with the 9x trouble is I really don't want to do all the freaking mods to get frsky and telemetry + programming the damn thing.

so
I am thinking that I will slow boat the new 9xr which has an already installed programming connector.

I guess my question is.. Since the transmitter I use doesn't have telemetry, you would think that someone would put together a completely different self contained telemetry system. Maybe with an interface to a laptop or maybe with a headphone out. I am mainly interested in getting variometer readings real time.

I have done a quick search, and hobbyking makes an external (or seperate) unit but it doesn't have a variometer

anyone know of anything. The more I think about it the more I don't see why I would care that telemetry is recieved by my transmitter. I mean I really don't want to look at anything anyway. I want to watch the glider. so a little reciever with a headphone jack would be more useful to me...

any help would be appreciated
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Personally I would go with the Teranis if you can stretch to the extra cash outlay. Not only does it have all the features you are looking for 'out of the box' but it's all round a higher quality piece of kit and has functionality that the 9X can never offer regardless of what mods you do.

Personally i find telemetry of great value. It can measure many parameters but the most helpful is battery voltage sensing. This allows real time motoring of both the main flight battery voltage and the voltage being supplied to the receiver and servos. Alarms can be set to sound when any voltage drops below a user determined value meaning that you will never again suffer 'low volt cut-out' of power.

There have been mentions of some 'problems' with early batch Teranis Tx's but no one seems to be able to provide any specifics, more just vague hear-say comments on non-specific 'problems'.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
michaely

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Personally I would go with the Teranis if you can stretch to the extra cash outlay. Not only does it have all the features you are looking for 'out of the box' but it's all round a higher quality piece of kit and has functionality that the 9X can never offer regardless of what mods you do.

Personally i find telemetry of great value. It can measure many parameters but the most helpful is battery voltage sensing. This allows real time motoring of both the main flight battery voltage and the voltage being supplied to the receiver and servos. Alarms can be set to sound when any voltage drops below a user determined value meaning that you will never again suffer 'low volt cut-out' of power.

There have been mentions of some 'problems' with early batch Teranis Tx's but no one seems to be able to provide any specifics, more just vague hear-say comments on non-specific 'problems'.
Just to expand/clarify a bit .... all the telemetry Taranis can receive can be outputted as audio, including speech..... so you don't have to look on the Tx screen to get a voltage readout (on rx battery or lipo), know whether the glider is ascending or descending, etc.

Aloft is still, IMO, the best serviced and cheapest supplier of FrSky stuff, especially for those in U.S. I think their time estimate on the wait least is about 6 weeks. Other outfits announce new shipments from time to time and don't have a wait list. You see on rcgroups the occasional private sale at roughly the seller's break even price.

good luck,

Michael
Newmarket, Ontario
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Here is where I got mine. Great, fast service.
Henry http://www.helibatics.com/
Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club

Yes, I have been trying to tell myself that. The Taranis has been back ordered since I have known of it's existance. on hobbyking anyway. I can't seem to find a dealer here in the us
at lease one not back ordered
Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Good things are often worth waiting for. Why not put your name on the waiting list?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I got my Taranis here:
http://www.superior-hobby.com/index....j1eb0vco8qk6s1
It's a bit more expensive,but i got mine in 3 weeks.I was waiting for HK,but got tired of waiting after 2 months!
They had the Taranis for $190us last time i checked.But their freight was cheaper than HK,so it worked out only $6 more.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Eagletree makes a stand-alone telemetry system. Not cheap, but very good.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Here is the spot I would order from...
http://www.alofthobbies.com/

Get on the waiting list - I was told it was down to 6 weeks. I signed up the 1st - so we shall see.

I just want to see what all the fuss is about. Will likely sell mine after tinkering with it - unless it is awesome. LOL. You do see them on occasion for sale used. Some just don't care for the interface - can't say as I blame them, from what I have seen. Powerful does not always mean intuitive.

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

You can use a DJT module with an Fld-02 screen or a DHT-U that has the screen built in to display Frsky telemetry with any radio.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Everytime I hear the word Taranis, I can't help but thinking of Brown 25 from the 1974 movie "The Groove Tube" starring Chevy Chase.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes