Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Kyle Service Tech actually bought something else!

For those who have been reading a few of my postings, they are aware of the many Hacker motors in my various models. IMHO, because they work, and work well.

Well, in E-bay, a Hyperion ZS3025-10 motor was for sale at $49.00, shipping included. After checking the specs of this motor, and needing a motor of this size for a recently picked up model, the Hyperion motor was ordered and received.

The Hyperion specifications lists the motor winding resistance at 0.019 ohms, a very good value for this size motor. Using a pair of Fluke 87 meters, my tests show this winding resistance at 0.0265 Ohms. That is still lower than the comparable Hacker motor. (H'mmm, maybe Hyperion is checking winding resistance between one winding and the two other windings shorted together. If so, that is very close to the spec'd 0.019 ohms)

Hyperion also indicates that this motor will pull about 44 Amps at 14.7 Volts DC while turning an APC 12X6SP prop. My tests shows that this motor pulls 25 Amps at 14.5 Volts DC. Don't have an RPM reading, got to track down my optical Tachometer.

Putting an APC-E 13X6.5 prop on this motor looks to be a good match, pulling 38 Amps at 14.1 Volts DC off a 5S1P A123 battery pack.

The Hyperion motor has notably more "cogging" when manually turning the shaft than my Hacker A40 motor, but while running, this totally disappears.

This Hyperion motor looks to be very well made, and IMHO, and potentially a good motor to consider for your next models.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-zs302...or-p-4597.html

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

I really like the Hyperion motors. I've had about the same results from the ones Ive owned as you have.

Right now Aircraft World has several of last years versions on super discounts. I picked up a new one for my Bubble Dancer for under $20 shipped! Something like 60% off. I also got one for my new Supra that Im building.

Very much worth checking these out.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...que+outrunners

If you select their ems shipping its only $2.50 to ship pretty much anything but kits from japan to the US. Usually takes about 1 week to arrive. Their customer service is excellent as well.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I really like the Hyperion motors. I've had about the same results from the ones Ive owned as you have.

Right now Aircraft World has several of last years versions on super discounts. I picked up a new one for my Bubble Dancer for under $20 shipped! Something like 60% off. I also got one for my new Supra that Im building.

Very much worth checking these out.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...que+outrunners

If you select their ems shipping its only $2.50 to ship pretty much anything but kits from japan to the US. Usually takes about 1 week to arrive. Their customer service is excellent as well.
I just tried to find the ten turn version of the motor I picked up for $49. Aircraft world only has the 8 turn version which would not work for my 5S A123's. But, holy cow, the 8 turn version is nearly $130!

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3600

DennyV
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus

Denny that is the newest version for that size motor. Here is the link that I bought my motor from them. By the way I got mine in 10 days from Japan plus we had a holiday during that time MLK day. To bad they don't have the motor size you need when they started the sale they did. They have sold a lot of the discontinued motors since I first found out about the sale.

http://aircraft-world.com/shopdispla...que+outrunners
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Hyperion Motor Update

We finally got somewhat decent weather around SE Wisconsin, with the temperature at 32 degrees F, winds under 5 MPH, and most of the snow on the club field melted away.

This Hyperion motor is installed in a Vyper model with a 48 inch wingspan, 505 square inches, a 5S1P A123 battery pack, and a 13X6.5 APC-E prop. The weight of the model is 58 ounces, ready to fly. (http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-Super-...W_p_15882.html)

I got this model FREE from a club member who was not to happy with it. The first flight was interesting, with the model taking a wild left bank on take off. It took full aileron trim to get it to fly level. Will have to check that wing for warps. A total of four flights were made, and the model can do just about anything required or desired. Didn't try 3D, that is not my thing.

After getting that squared away, this is a nice model, with enough power up front to flight straight up out of sight. The Hyperion motor was cold after landing, so flying in summer should not be a problem. A six minute flight resulted in the A123 pack discharging about 1500 Mah. So, I'll be limiting flights to about 5 1/2 minutes.

And, this pilot is getting more and more impressed with that Hyperion motor. For the $50 I paid for it, it is a very good value for the buck.

I don't know how may more of these motors are available at this price, their web site has indicated 2 available, 4 sold for several months.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190877599328...84.m1439.l2649

DennyV
Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus

Denny glad to read you liked the motor. I haven't run mine up yet I need to test it with different props soon. Plane it is going on will be done in a couple of weeks. I bought some servos from that ebay seller good price on hitec 65mg servos shipping was a little on the slow side.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Denny glad to read you liked the motor. I haven't run mine up yet I need to test it with different props soon. Plane it is going on will be done in a couple of weeks. I bought some servos from that ebay seller good price on hitec 65mg servos shipping was a little on the slow side.
Let us know how your motor works out, with Amps, Volts, Watts, prop size, and RPM. Methinks you'll really like it.

As for my model, and its severe left turn on its maiden flight, If this idiot had looked at the ailerons from the end view with the aileron zero'd out, it would have been obvious. The right aileron was warped 1/4 inch down at the wing tip, the left aileron was warped 1/4 inch up at the wing tip.

Took about two minutes to fix it with a monokote iron. Now, just waiting for good weather to try flying it again.

DennyV
Old 03-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Don't know the availability but here is the 970kv for $32.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-zs302...or-p-4596.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems