Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
GunnyJeeves

Friends: (1)
Default 50cc Electric Servo Question

I have seen servos that are upwards of 170 grams and produce 40kg of torque.

I am betting these would make awesome pull pull rudder servos for something like a 50cc Yak.

Question is would they also work for aileron and elevator servos as well?

I could be wrong but at 50cc size I would not think the difference of a 150 grams total spread over a few servos would make too big a fuss. (I mean you could strap a couple of GoPros to one and be fine, and they weigh more than that.)

I would however be nervous about the sizing. (Apart from the rudder one. That one is a gimmie. Plenty of room and solid wood)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Depends on the 50cc size plane, which control surface and how you plan to fly it.

You could fly a 50cc Extreme Flight Yak with as low power as 110/130 in-oz rated HS-5625 ALL AROUND for very mild laps around the field... but you need 180+ in-oz on elevators, 200+ on ailerons and 250+ on rudder for aggressive 3D... 333 in-oz HS-7954 all around would be a good choice for ensuring you have the power for everything the plane can do...

http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html so you can find the in-oz to kg rating convesions by looking up the servos I mentioned.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
GunnyJeeves

Cool. The regular servos are like 300oz in. (25kg) but this one big one was 40kg... For 1/5th scale dune buggies

I will pop it on the rudder and never worry.

You gave me a lot of confidence just now... Thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
I have seen servos that are upwards of 170 grams and produce 40kg of torque.

I am betting these would make awesome pull pull rudder servos for something like a 50cc Yak.

Question is would they also work for aileron and elevator servos as well?

I could be wrong but at 50cc size I would not think the difference of a 150 grams total spread over a few servos would make too big a fuss. (I mean you could strap a couple of GoPros to one and be fine, and they weigh more than that.)

I would however be nervous about the sizing. (Apart from the rudder one. That one is a gimmie. Plenty of room and solid wood)
I've got two giant scale models, both running Hacker A60 motors. One at 3000 watts, the other at about 2200 watts.

All servos in both models are the Hitec 645MG units. They seem to have plenty of power for the type of models I'm flying. Of course they don't do 3D.

Great Planes Giant Big Stick Electric Conversion
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65052

Redwing MXSR Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
GunnyJeeves

Sweet looking MXSR!

The servos I plan on are:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
For rudder....

And:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
For the rest...

20 kg and 40 kg. woot!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Hitec 645 may be OK in some models at 20cc size (2000 watts) but they are just wrong for a 50cc model.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Hitec 645 may be OK in some models at 20cc size (2000 watts) but they are just wrong for a 50cc model.
Yeah

When you get into 50 cc and larger gassers, servos are a whole different ball game. Not only do they have to provide sufficient force to move and hold the surface they are connected to, they also have to handle the tremendous vibration from that gasoline engine up front.

If anyone has watched one of those giant scale models with a 50 cc engine running, you can see the elevator/rudder/ailerons all hammering the servos. Just sitting on the ground with the engine idling.

One of my club members has a big twin cylinder engine up front, with four high powered $$$$ servos on the rudder alone. Those giant scale models get expensive, real quick.

DennyV
Old 01-31-2014, 03:54 AM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Idle of a single cyl gasser is a very high load for the servos... very true. It can impose loads as high as aggressive 3D in some cases. Multicylinder smooths it out considerably.

Just going appx 10% above idle can drastically reduce load on the servos.

Again... e-power doesn't deal with this issue. I have 3 e-power motors in the 20cc to 50cc power range. MUCH smoother at low throttle. But essentially no difference in servo loads in flight. (according to Eagletree loggers and Spektrum telemetry, judging by voltage drop at the RX)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Idle of a single cyl gasser is a very high load for the servos... very true. It can impose loads as high as aggressive 3D in some cases. Multicylinder smooths it out considerably.

Just going appx 10% above idle can drastically reduce load on the servos.

Again... e-power doesn't deal with this issue. I have 3 e-power motors in the 20cc to 50cc power range. MUCH smoother at low throttle. But essentially no difference in servo loads in flight. (according to Eagletree loggers and Spektrum telemetry, judging by voltage drop at the RX)

Back about two years ago I put together a "G" meter that was capable of measuring G forces, by measuring it twenty thousand times a second. That thing was used to measure vibration levels at the aileron servo location of a club members giant scale model. The model used a twin cylinder engine up front. Vibration levels measured directly on the servo case over-ranged my G meter at over 25 G's.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66525

DennyV
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
GunnyJeeves

Another somewhat related question... What would a 26x12 on 12 cell with a Hacker Q80-8M produce?

I ordered some props, but that seemed to be the best option that was recommended on the Rotomax 50cc motor. (I'm debating Rotomax, The Electrifly one, or the Hacker.)

Made most of my other electronics choices already. (Turnigy 40kg servo for rudder, Turnigy 25kg servos for rest and Turnigy DLUX 160 HV ESC.)

Now motor.... LOL.... Hacker is awfully tempting.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
Another somewhat related question... What would a 26x12 on 12 cell with a Hacker Q80-8M produce?

I ordered some props, but that seemed to be the best option that was recommended on the Rotomax 50cc motor. (I'm debating Rotomax, The Electrifly one, or the Hacker.)

Made most of my other electronics choices already. (Turnigy 40kg servo for rudder, Turnigy 25kg servos for rest and Turnigy DLUX 160 HV ESC.)

Now motor.... LOL.... Hacker is awfully tempting.
Yup
Just search Youtube for Hacker Q80-8M, you'll find bunch of models so powered.

Take a look at one of them.

Way above my skill levels and/or pocket book

DennyV
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #12
GunnyJeeves

What a beautiful flight that was... 3DHS is top notch.

Here's my plane (the airframe) just with a DA60 I think.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm gonna always go for Extremeflight at least because they're arguably just as good as 3DHS, and they're LOCAL to me!!!
(I can drive up and pick up my plane )

You just gotta love that color scheme too.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying