Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)
Default Best SUV for RC transport

Been thinking about a new SUV for RC Airplane transport. Biggest planes without disassemble are the 1450mm P-40, P-51 and Mossy.

Been using my trusty ole 2001 Avalon which has one of the largest trunks I've ever seen. But it needs a head gasket. Could speed the $1,000 or so but she really needs to retire.

In looking at mid-size SUV's and crossovers, I've been looking at the Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot , Jeep Cherokee, Acura MPV.

Don't need 3rd row of seating. Want something with a wide tailgate and flat cargo area .

Any ideas?

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

A Ford (Found On Road Dead) Exploder? ugh. Friends who have Pilots like them but they seem to be hard on batteries. I like Jeeps, but my ideal toy hauler would be a Dodge Sprinter - not 4WD however.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race

My bass player has a Nissan X-terra, easily fits a 7/8 size stand up bass. That thing is huge, barely fits though doorway!
Also transports 3 huskies......yep he has the sickness as well!
He's not into RC.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Forgot about the Xterra. Have an Infiniti M as my other car and was thinking the only choices from Nissan would be the Pathfinder or Murano. Not overly impressed with either.

Will have to look up the Dodge Sprinter. Only Dodge I ever owned was a 1981 Lee Iacocca " K Car" - Oops, we're all entitled to one - LOL

On the high side, I like the Audi 5 but then again, I want to keep things utile but something my wife would not be ashamed to drive. She won't drive the Avalon.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Forgot about the Xterra. Have an Infiniti M as my other car and was thinking the only choices from Nissan would be the Pathfinder or Murano. Not overly impressed with either.

Will have to look up the Dodge Sprinter. Only Dodge I ever owned was a 1981 Lee Iacocca " K Car" - Oops, we're all entitled to one - LOL

On the high side, I like the Audi 5 but then again, I want to keep things utile but something my wife would not be ashamed to drive. She won't drive the Avalon.
Ah ha, the Dodge Sprinter.

One of my old friends had one of those with the Diesel engine. He and his wife drove it all over the USA on long extended vacations. The guy was a real outdoorsman, the Sprinter was painted bright green in color. The salesman could not sell it, but my old friend saw it, and bought it on the spot. This guy and his wife once hit every state in the USA outside of Alaska and Hawaii on one three month long road trip. On a motorcycle. Camping the whole time.

That Sprinter is a very big vehicle, and likely won't fit into your garage.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

My Volvo XC70 can swallow up a large number of models and still get through forest / crap roads etc. Has dedicated camping 12v socket in rear cargo area. Wife loves driving this ... (I do have the T5 conversion on her ..)

For when I want to carry the big stuff - my Renault Master van ....

But of course I'm in Europe ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

For BIG planes... A stretch van cargo version, Expedition with the rear seat(s) down/removed or a Suburban again with the rear seat(s) down/removed.

Any of the mid-size SUVs will be pretty equal and adequate for 50CC class 3D aircraft.

Just take a plane with you when you go car shopping and test the fit.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Fred,

Good idea. Probably drive the car salesmen nuts walking around with my Deuces Wild or P-51. LOL . We have a CarMax up here that I swear has 5000 cars on the lot. Every make and model imaginable.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thanks Fred,

Good idea. Probably drive the car salesmen nuts walking around with my Deuces Wild or P-51. LOL . We have a CarMax up here that I swear has 5000 cars on the lot. Every make and model imaginable.
Yeah, we picked up a very good deal at CarMax in 2012 on a used 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. It only had 7000 miles on it and was spotless.

This vehicle had seats that absolutely fold up flat to the floor. Putting them back only takes a few seconds. You can actually put a 4X8 foot sheet of plywood in it, flat to the floor if you'd want to.

This car holds two of my giant scale models, several smaller models, canopy, and all the rest of the stuff required for fun flies in the area.

And, on the highway at 73 Miles per hour, it gets 25 - 27 MPG. Around town, it drops to about 20 MPG.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Denny,

You're absolutely right on with the mini-van idea. Practical in every way. Once had a Ford mini van until the kids got to high school and insisted on being dropped off a block away. My wife would not be seen dead in one. LOL

Volvo is a nice option . Also considering crossovers like the Caddy SRX. Definitely need something that is wife friendly. I like the Audi but she doesn't like the tight German suspensions. She's not a pick-up truck gal either.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Dragonflyer

Just traded the 2009 F150 (<22000mi) for a 2013 Dodge Cr Caravan with Stow n Go seats. 4' x 8' area for airplanes or ride on scale RR engine & cars and out of the weather.
DF aka Bill
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

get yourself a toyota tacoma 4 door and a flat bed cover or roof high camper shell. and a 16 or 17 Ft Travel trailer that way you can stay out all weekend long Flying dont let the wife drive the Toyota Tacoma, they ride like on a cloud, and she will take it away from you

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_toyota_tacoma-pic-6328766442758988264.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	173194

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Wont work for the wife, but i loved my old 88 crown vic wagon. I used to bring 5-10 planes with me. Generally two slow sticks, a .40 sized but .25 powered nitto, .40 trainer, mini pulse, mini ultra stick, misc flight boxes, transmitter cases, batteries and chargers. Also had 4 cigarette lighters for charging batteries. We didnt even have to take any wings off or anything. Drive up there with slimers loaded up and ready for a flight.

Suspension was really good too. We drove about a mile on a dirt road to the salt flats. I could hit 40mph without having to worry about any planes. Ugly car thought and only got 20mpg.

I second the mini van votes.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Here's a new one.......Nissan/Chevy lovers......lol.....even built in Mexico!

AMA 928214
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Wow,

Learning a lot here. A trailer, which could be my quasi man-cave on wheels. Sat TV/Internet. That and a house boat on Grapevine Lake and I'm checking out. No property taxes. A new retirement plan in the works. LOL. I do like the Tacoma . Mmmm. Got me thinking.

Pizzano, your solution is way too practical.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I went with a trailer... but I'm building a Me-262 with 107 inch span and the wing will not come apart. (kits built with the plug-in wings reported to spit the tip panels off in a roll)

there's not much other choice than a trailer when you go REALLY big.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

This will be my next ride ride when i get my toyota Sienna paid off I like the 6 cyl for fuel mileage, I had a Toyota Tundra, I loved that Truck, but the fuel milage was not the best with the V8 engine, it was a lease so i gave it back the Tacoma I will purchase outright . This will give me plenty of room for my planes

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

My Renault Master - I intend to fit racks on the inside walls to hold wings / fuselages etc. but still allow it to carry the building gear that I have to keep picking up for house renovation.

My Volvo astounds people how much I can get in there ! :

This is a typical meeting selection carried :

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

You Have way to many Toys Nigel LOL, I like your Ultimate Bi Plane, I used to have a GP Nitro Ultimate Bi Plane, untill my brand new Airtronics computer radio took it out, no more Airtronic Radios for me
Volvos are a great Vehicle, They will run forever, They will never run right, but they will run forever LOL , I am sure you heard that joke before about Volvos.
and Fiat stands for, Fix It Again Tony

Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
You Have way to many Toys Nigel
He who has the most toys wins

I quit counting at 70.

I have managed to get 14 (including a 2 meter Pattern plane and a 50cc Yak) into a '03 Ford Taurus wagon. Just takes packing like its a 3D jigsaw puzzle.
Pictures are on the old computer...
Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

That's a lot of gear you can stuff in your Volvo. I also like the Tacoma set-up with the cap also. Looking at Edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/car-compariso...|suv&zip=76248

Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Honda pilot holds the 54"ws hog bipe no problem assembled,thats why i build kits 54"ws or smaller. i then put around 2 or 3 other planes in the car to spend a day at the field.

what i really miss is my old Chevy s10 p/u truck,aside from loading anything in the bed easy,i miss gathering cut wood after storms that folks leave curb side for free pickings. my log pile is now down to a months worth of fires and will be completely gone this year..... i can call a tree company to dump cut logs to size for splitting for free[gratuity tip only],but miss the love of the search and finding free fire wood...lol. also they'll dump the wood on my front yard wrecking the lawn.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

forgive this add on post,consider the vehicle you load may be in a accident someday while loaded and everything carried might make it's way to the front seat. my big issue is the flight box sits so nice in the rear trough but would go flying forward in a front end collision.

i type this remembering someone here at wattflyer hit a tree i believe and there tools flew thru the windshield and a pair of pliers stuck in the tree..

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Honda pilot holds the 54"ws hog bipe no problem assembled,thats why i build kits 54"ws or smaller. i then put around 2 or 3 other planes in the car to spend a day at the field.

what i really miss is my old Chevy s10 p/u truck,aside from loading anything in the bed easy,i miss gathering cut wood after storms that folks leave curb side for free pickings. my log pile is now down to a months worth of fires and will be completely gone this year..... i can call a tree company to dump cut logs to size for splitting for free[gratuity tip only],but miss the love of the search and finding free fire wood...lol. also they'll dump the wood on my front yard wrecking the lawn.
get yourself a trailer to fetch wood with put a hitch on your car

Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

lol...,another tool to explain to my better half why our wood will now cost the price of a trailer to keep insured.sound's good to me!!!!

hi chellie,i was reading your build out of balsa and you fairly well stated your age.....[32,] and i am 58years young with heart surgery having caused me to slow down a bit. log splitting is now left to my boys who like me have typical aggressions to take out on logs with swinging the maul the old fashion way with a wedge. i still take my turn swinging away,but not like all those past years when i would gladly have 4 cords of stacked/&covered wood on the yard just in case the power went out. now i have a generator.[boy have i changed].

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat