Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Servo Connector Duty Cycle Quick Tests

I've got to give full credit to "Rags" in this thread for raising a question on the servo connector life span issue, per below.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73138

The question raised is an excellent one that prompted me to run a quick test on just two connector samples. What caught me completely off guard is the quality of one of those connectors purchased in a bag of connector kits at a Local RC flea market, versus the quality of a name brand MAXX products connector.

The attached PDF file shows the results that I came up with.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Servo Connector Tests by Kyleservicetech.pdf (613.7 KB, 41 views)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Thanks Denny!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 02-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
rags

Friends: (0)

Great info - thank you.

Your thoughts about the gold plating wearing off or in the case of tinned terminals, ten tinning wearing off and oxidation occurring that would increase resistance?

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've got to give full credit to "Rags" in this thread for raising a question on the servo connector life span issue, per below.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73138

The question raised is an excellent one that prompted me to run a quick test on just two connector samples. What caught me completely off guard is the quality of one of those connectors purchased in a bag of connector kits at a Local RC flea market, versus the quality of a name brand MAXX products connector.

The attached PDF file shows the results that I came up with.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by rags View Post
Great info - thank you.

Your thoughts about the gold plating wearing off or in the case of tinned terminals, ten tinning wearing off and oxidation occurring that would increase resistance?
Where is the attachment?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Where is the attachment?
The attachment shows up in the #1 posting of this thread.

DennyV
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rags View Post
Great info - thank you.

Good point.

I just tested the aileron servo connector of that old airplane. Its contact resistance showed up as 0.0041 Ohms, IMHO pretty good after over a decade.

One thing of note, that connector is connected and disconnected repeatedly over the past years, providing a sort of cleaning action. Where that gold plating is important, is when those connectors are buried inside a wing as a servo extension, and perhaps left connected for years.

For those that are interested, the contact resistance was measured by applying exactly one ampere DC through the contact. That one amp was provided by a 18 Volt DC, 3 Amp power supply purchased through www.mpja.com.
http://www.mpja.com/0-18VDC-0-3-A-Va...nfo/9600%20PS/

This power supply can be adjusted from zero to 18 Volts DC, and has current limiting adjustable from zero to three Amps. The voltage drop was measured by my Fluke 87V digital meter, set on the high resolution function of the millivolt DC range. This meter allows measuring DC volts down to 00.01 millivolts. The voltage was measured at the same place on the terminal, that is at the location where the wires are crimped into the terminal.
http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-FLUKE-87.../dp/B0002YFD1K

Moving that voltage measuring test location made a substantial difference in the millivolt level measured.

The exact contact resistance can then be calculated by the formula R=E/I or resistance equals voltage drop divided by amps. We used the same testing technique on contacts rated for 800 Amps at work, with commercial micro-ohmmeters designed for that function. Those micro-ohmmeters can cost as much as a wet turbine model.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros