Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Friends: (0)
Default Dual battery charger

I am looking to get a dual battery charger that does 1to 6 cell lipo have any recondition
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

You didn't say how much you have to spend?

But if you have the cash then I'd recommend the icharger 4010 duo, or 308 duo
Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Default dual battery charger

Sorry but around $100 to $150
Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This one looks pretty good on paper, and the reviews look good too: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_800W_.html
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

How much current do you need it to deliver?

There's not a large selection of dual port chargers, so you might also consider the 4-port ones. Hobby king Quatro (also Turnigy label and other labels... same thing) or the Hitex X4.

I've been using the Quatro for years. For my purposes its 50 watts per port is a little limiting. Thats a max of about 3.2 amp rate on a 6 cell. So for my big packs I also got a Hitec X2 400 which can actually make having a parallel charging board worthwhile.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by egrave1 View Post
I am looking to get a dual battery charger that does 1to 6 cell lipo have any recondition
This is a higher powered charger that can charge to two 5S or one 10S battery. It's rated at 600 watts max charging off of a 24 Volt Lead acid battery, or power supply. That's 300 watts off of a 12 Volt Battery. So, for a 6S LiPo battery, maximum charge current is 300 Watts divided by the 6S LiPo voltage of 4.2 Volts per cell. That is 300\4.2X6) or about 11 Amps. For two 6S packs in series, that's 5 Amps charging rate.

This charger can also discharge your fully charged LiPo batteries to the proper 3.8 Volts per cell long term storage voltage, as recommended by the LiPo mfgs.

Problem is, if charging two LiPos at once, they are connected in series, and must be of the same mah rating.

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...llpro-10XP_186

Three or four club members have one, they work well.

As for me, I've got real high charger power requirements, and have two of the Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers. These chargers are rated for over 1400 watts. (These chargers are used to charge a 6S4P A123 battery pack at 30 Amps. The 6S4P pack is flown as a 12S2P pack. Or a 6S2P A123 pack at 20 Amps.)

Should you buy the Cellpro charger, be sure to also include the Cellpro USB dongle to allow programming your Cellpro charger to your customized settings. The Cellpro Chargers allow naming the battery routine, such as "Big Stick", Or "A123 at 15 Amps", "LiFe at 2 Amps" and so on. So you just scroll through the Cellpro's LCD display to find the exact custom programming for the battery to be charged. Really reduces the chances for errors.

Likely other chargers also allow custom settings. The ability to design custom settings and name them is very definitely worthwhile having.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Id just get a 4 port imax charger. I've had one for a few years and haven't had an issue out of it. dc power supply version is only $100 from heads up with 4 deans leads included.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Imax-Qua...ries-D-100.htm

oops, $119...

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The problem with some of the multi port chargers is that they have very low power per channel. That's the case with the above linked B6 based charger, it can only do 50W per channel, so if you were charging a 6s battery is would only charge at around 2 amps, which means a large 6s could take literally hours to charge.

It all depends on what type of models you fly but usually if you want a charger to do 6s you also want a charger that will charge quite large 6s batteries in a reasonable time, which rules the likes of B6 based chargers out.

The one i linked to was 400W per channel (800W total). So you could charge a 6s battery at 16 amps reducing charge time from maybe 2 hours on the B6 charger to 15 minutes on the one I linked...

Also the discharge rate of the B6 chargers is a joke. You would be there literally all day trying to discharge a large 6s battery to storage voltage, the one i linked is a lot better in that respect too........And best of all the price is virtually the same!.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The problem with some of the multi port chargers is that they have very low power per channel. That's the case with the above linked B6 based charger, it can only do 50W per channel, so if you were charging a 6s battery is would only charge at around 2 amps, which means a large 6s could take literally hours to charge.

It all depends on what type of models you fly but usually if you want a charger to do 6s you also want a charger that will charge quite large 6s batteries in a reasonable time, which rules the likes of B6 based chargers out.

The one i linked to was 400W per channel (800W total). So you could charge a 6s battery at 16 amps reducing charge time from maybe 2 hours on the B6 charger to 15 minutes on the one I linked...

Also the discharge rate of the B6 chargers is a joke. You would be there literally all day trying to discharge a large 6s battery to storage voltage, the one i linked is a lot better in that respect too........And best of all the price is virtually the same!.
Yeah
The specs on that 2X400 watt charger look pretty good. And, you can't beat the price on it either.

One note, if you're charging a pile of big 6S LiPo batteries, using a big deep cycle battery for powering the charger, be prepared for short life on those lead acid batteries. Been there, done that.

A 120 Ampere Hour 12 VDC deep cycle battery should not be discharged much more than a rate of 10 or 15 Amps. That's only 120 to 180 Watts total or so. I was discharging my brand name deep cycle batteries at 40 Amps, and was getting about a half year life out of them. These lead acid batteries have to be derated in Ampere Hours if they are discharged in less than three or four hours. Like to 50% or less of name plate ampere hour capacity.

DennyV
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

How many 6 cell batteries do you charge at a time? 4 batteries in 4 hours would take the same time at two sets in two hours, and you would only have to do it once, vs twice in the same time frame.

I discharge my batteries now in two ways, I fly them out, or I hook then up to a 12v light bulb for a car I used to use as a test light. I generally discharge while working on my planes, so I just check on them. But you could get a low battery alarm instead. id hook the buzzer up to trip a relay that would cut power.

If you want a quick field charger, a 50 watt battery charger obviously isn't the way to go. my 3 cell batteries, it does fine. I can charge my 2200's just short of 2c, and my 4000mah batteries at 1c. I would also buy 4 separate 50w chargers and mount them together rather then buy a 4 in 1. That way if one charger craps out, your not out of luck.

You could buy a larger more expensive 4 port charger, but I think bang for the buck, a 50 watt charger is hard to beat. Another brand 80w x 4 port charger is more then double the price.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

It all depends on your needs. If you want to charge lots of relativly small batteries then a 50W four port charger is fine. On the other hand, for large higher cell count batteries it's just not man enough for the job, unless you are happy to wait for hours.

FWIW the hobbyking two port one that I linked to gives four times the charging power of the four port B6, and for only a few bucks more... I know which I'd choose
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I have noted something that should be considered. 2X3S used in series will survive more high demand cycles than one 6S.

The single 6S pack has the center cells sandwiched in so they can't cool.

Often my packs used in the big EDF will read hotter 2 min after the flight than right at landing. The heat is migrating out of the center cells. Removing the 4X3S for 12S packs from the plane and separating them lets them cool down much faster than when I was using 2X6S.

Time at temperature is one of the things that can degrade a LiPo.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I have noted something that should be considered. 2X3S used in series will survive more high demand cycles than one 6S.

The single 6S pack has the center cells sandwiched in so they can't cool.

Often my packs used in the big EDF will read hotter 2 min after the flight than right at landing. The heat is migrating out of the center cells. Removing the 4X3S for 12S packs from the plane and separating them lets them cool down much faster than when I was using 2X6S.

Time at temperature is one of the things that can degrade a LiPo.
Yup
Last Sunday I was using my very high powered Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger to charge a 180 Mah two cell LiPo.

Everything worked very well. However, the Cellpro charger changed its charging mode to "Cold Weather Charging" automatically. It was about 50 degrees or so in our club house.

I'm assuming other brand name chargers also work in the same way in cold weather??

Nice.

DennyV
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Exactly. that's why I said bang for the buck, its hard to beat.

Most 3 cell would be fine on 50 watts and you could charge 4 at a time. I personally would never charge above 2c. I've only charged at 2c a handful of times. the extra 15 amps would be essentially useless, and could only charge two at a time. in a pinch, it would charge 4, 6 cell batteries in four hours. that doesn't seem ridiculous to me. In a park flyer hangar its plenty. if your flying 12 cell setups with 2 packs in series and getting 5 minute flight times, it would be a bit ridiculous as a field charger.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

You might want to consider a parallel charge board, this allows up to sixe batteries to be charged together off each charger outlet port. Of course to get the benefit you need a charger with a high power output.

This works great for me because I dont like to leave batteries stored charged for long periods, so I charge immediatly before flying. I can (and regularly do) hook up twelve batteries onto parallel boards on my two port charger and be ready to go flying 20 minutes later.

This also gives me the flexibility to go flying at short notice, something you just cant do if it takes hours to charge. With the weather in my part of the world i need to be able to take flying oportunities whenever they come along!

Each to their own...
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Never heard of a LiPo charger having a cold weather mode before...
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Never heard of a LiPo charger having a cold weather mode before...
Yup, I found it in the Cellpro Powerlab 8 specifications, as printed below:

"Cold weather mode reduces end-charge voltage; parameters adjustable by customer including ON/OFF, end-charge voltage offset reduction, and temperature"

In my case, the '8 charger dropped the constant voltage portion of the charge cycle down to 4.02 Volts per cell, rather than the normal 4.2 Volts per cell.

DennyV
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

That's a new one on me but I charge in a heated location so even if the icharger did have a spacial mode I'd have not experienced it.

So what difference does 'cold weather mode' make?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #20
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Why???

Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Why???
Checking on various places that cover charging LiPo batteries, they recommend not charging them in cold weather. Guess the lower voltage provided by the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger in cold weather helps a bit.

Take a look at batteryuniversity information on this issue:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures

Apparently charging a LiPo battery at below freezing temperature can cause permanent damage to the LiPo battery.

DennyV
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #22
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I haven't had any problems out of mine so far. I have been charging to 4.2 volts below freezing most of the winter.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I haven't had any problems out of mine so far. I have been charging to 4.2 volts below freezing most of the winter.
Yup, as the saying goes, If it works, don't fix it!

DennyV
Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #24
Karnsy

I have a quick question. At what rate would everyone charge a 3S 11.1v 2200mah battery for storage ? My charger will go up to 1 but was preset at the factory at .01.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #25
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
I have a quick question. At what rate would everyone charge a 3S 11.1v 2200mah battery for storage ? My charger will go up to 1 but was preset at the factory at .01.

Yeah, just do the storage charge level at the batteries "1C" level. And set the storage discharge level at what ever current level your charger can support. I use two Amps discharge on my Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers.

(Of course with my over 100 A123 cells in my various models, long term storage voltage doesn't matter.)

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners