Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Bald Paul

Friends: (0)
Default It started as a MidStar 40

Picked up a Sig MidStar 40 kit, with full intentions of converting it to electric. Not just any conversion, though! Twin motors with counter-rotating props. Motor nacelles were designed in CAD and laser cut. Sheeting on the wing was extended out, and aileron servos were mounted in underwing plates. I figured there would be too many wires to use the single servo and torque rod setup supplied in the kit.

It's powered by two Firepower 25 Sport motors (Heads Up RC) swinging APC 12X8e props (one pusher) and two 2200mah, 50C 3S lipo packs in parallel, mounted in what was the fuel tank area beneath the hatch. Two 80 amp ESC's mount below the battery tray. The lower scoop in the fuselage brings air right across the heat sinks and exits via an outlet hole in the rear lower fuselage. Futaba radio gear is used (S3003 ball bearing servos, FASST receiver with separate Rx pack).

The nose was closed off with a CAD designed curved hatch. Access to the Dean's plugs from the batteries to the ESCs is behind this hatch, secured by rare earth magnets.

When it was put on the stand for balancing, I had a very unexpected surprise - it was PERFECT!

I can't wait for the snow to melt, the field to dry up, and have a chance to put this bird in the air! It's been a fun winter project.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-01T18_39_02.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	173831
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

BP looks great and that thing is going to be a screamer with twin 25's on it. Let's hit Webster lake wide open flying field just have to dodge the guy's ice fishing.

Have to ask did you have the 80 amp esc's on hand could of gotten away with a lot smaller saving some wgt.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
BP looks great and that thing is going to be a screamer with twin 25's on it. Let's hit Webster lake wide open flying field just have to dodge the guy's ice fishing.

Have to ask did you have the 80 amp esc's on hand could of gotten away with a lot smaller saving some wgt.
The 80 amp ESC's are really overkill, but they weren't expensive, and have no BEC circuitry. Had I gone with something smaller and lighter, I would have ended up adding nose weight anyway, so it worked out well.

Have you had the chance to get the Demi Duster up?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well that explains the esc size then.

No I haven't flown the Duster yet been busy building and life. I did put it on a diet and shaved about 4 oz. off her. I put in smaller servos, and moved every thing forward. Now I need to remove the motor so I can take out some of the lead in the front.
I am looking forward to flying it you did a nice job building it. Did you jion the club this year or still staying with the one near your work?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Well that explains the esc size then.

No I haven't flown the Duster yet been busy building and life. I did put it on a diet and shaved about 4 oz. off her. I put in smaller servos, and moved every thing forward. Now I need to remove the motor so I can take out some of the lead in the front.
I am looking forward to flying it you did a nice job building it. Did you jion the club this year or still staying with the one near your work?
Actually found a club even closer to work. I know some of the guys there, and they invited me down to fly after work during the week. One of my co-workers got interested and just purchased his first plane, a balsa ARF, that I'll be helping him finish, so he'll be taking his lessons with an instructor there.

If I ever decide to build another Demi Duster (I still have all my CAD files) it will be going on a serious diet. Still have my Spacewalker. That's so light it floats, but you really need a calm day. I think from now on I'll stick to the bigger ships.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Actually found a club even closer to work. I know some of the guys there, and they invited me down to fly after work during the week. One of my co-workers got interested and just purchased his first plane, a balsa ARF, that I'll be helping him finish, so he'll be taking his lessons with an instructor there.

If I ever decide to build another Demi Duster (I still have all my CAD files) it will be going on a serious diet. Still have my Spacewalker. That's so light it floats, but you really need a calm day. I think from now on I'll stick to the bigger ships.

Glad to hear you have a club closer to work even better you snagged a new guy into this hobby.

If you ever want to fly at the club in town just let me know be more than happy to have you come down and fly.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Hi Paul Dont let the snow hold you back Put some snow skies on the plane and go Fly

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Paul Dont let the snow hold you back Put some snow skies on the plane and go Fly
Says the Southern Californian

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 03-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post

LMAO that's funny.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post

Yep We Get Snow in the High Desert in So Calif, i have had to put some skis on my planes from time to time LOL

My House in the High Desert

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Yep We Get Snow in the High Desert in So Calif, i have had to put some skis on my planes from time to time LOL
OK, I stand corrected

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
Bald Paul

As I've gotten older, I find myself enjoying my time standing out in a snowy, cold field less and less enticing than building up something while I sit in my warm house.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Looks great...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft