Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
ziptie

Friends: (0)
Default New flyer from NY

Hello everyone, thought I would introduce myself. I'm Ziptie, from Rochester NY and got the RC airplane bug. Several years ago I was trying to learn on a Supercub trainer, a great plane, but must have lost interest or got discouraged after all the crashes.

Now I'd like to learn to fly properly and from the ground up. I've purchased a Realflight SIM and plan on getting an Apprentice S as my first trainer plane.

Please feel free to share any tips that might help get me started in the right direction.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

ziptie Welcome to wattflyer Never owned the Apprentice, but I have heard nothing but good. Here is a couple of links to help you learn about E flite and flying. Have fun and don't be shy about asking questions it's the best way to avoid a mistake.

Everything You Wanted To Know About Electric Powered Flight ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last Page)

Helping People Learn to Fly ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 )
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome to WF Ziptie. Sounds like you're on the right track. That's a great starter plane. And the sim will give you a feel for what to expect. Sims aren't perfect, as you have no depth perception or peripheral vision, but do your best practicing touch and goes. Flying around is easy. It's the landing that's the toughest. Also, don't worry about finding an Apprentice in the sim. Just find something close. A high wing electric trainer of similar size.

If you can, I'd still try to find someone who can buddy box with you at least until you're comfortable with it. Maybe at a club. And make sure you find a pretty big space. The Apprentice can fly really slow, but for someone really new, it might be challenging to slow it down for landing. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Hi Ziptie and Welcome to Wattflyers The best Plane to Start with is a power glider, they fly slow, and will give you time to think, do all of your crashing with this type of plane first, then you can move on to a high wing trainer, this power glider will give to all the basic training you will ever need.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HITEC-SK...T-ARF-M112.htm

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Club: Western New York Sailplane And Electrical Plane Flying Club
Send a message via Yahoo to BaronBernie
Friends: (1)

Welcome Ziptie, by asking for help and assistance is the best way to get started. Just like you, I also have the Real Flight Simulator and find it to be a valuable tool in learning to fly. Depending on the version you are using, there is an Apprentice S plane that you can download from the Knife Edge site. Having the newest transmitter that has been designed for Real Flight Simulator would add to the realisim of this simulator.

I too live in New York (Buffalo) and have enjoyed indoor flying for some time. In the beginning I was flying Nitro planes, they were nice but having to adjust both fuel needles became a hastle and took alot of fun out of flying. Many pilots seem to be switching over to electric planes for many reasons.

Good Luck in your flying.

Low and slow is the way to go!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
ziptie

Thanks for the tips. Lots of options for planes but I'm sure after I choose one the added hours on the simulator will really help no matter which one I go with. If anyone flies at North Hampton park and would like to show me a few things that would be great. They have trainer nights starting in May I think so I'll be checking that out as well.

My goal is to learn how to fly well on a few trainer planes, then get a kit, possibly a nitro to put together. What are some good mid size planes in kit form available? I've seen many ARF and RTF but not many kits.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Kits are becoming less popular for a few reasons. Primarily for me is cost. It is often cheaper to buy an ARf than to get a kit and all of the assorted materials needed to complete it.

There are still some very good kits out there, but you have to look for them.

Similarly glow fuel power is starting to decline with the improvements in electric power declining battery costs combined with rising glow fuel prices.
Electric also offers some increased convenience since you just plug the battery in and go vs the tuning of glow engines and then there's the cleaning after flying with glow's exhaust residue.
We never see smaller glow models at our club field now and the larger models are getting gasoline engines so there are few glow models being flown.

Any kit can be built to accommodate whatever type power (using an appropriate size motor/engine of course) you wish to use. Most ARFs can be altered with little difficulty also.

What specific kits to recommend depends on which direction you want to go in the hobby. Proctor or Balsa USA have some wonderful larger scale kits... Mountain Models or Steven's Aero have very good small kits. And there are plenty of other sources.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Welcome Ziptie, the people here will help you out; I certainly have learned a lot here
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Just an FYI, don't expect the sim version of the Apprentice to behave exactly like the real one, hence my earlier advice. Especially research about the 3 flight modes and stabilization in the sim, if any.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
ziptie

The Supercub looks to be another good option. What it be a good idea to buy the BNF version, and then pick up a nicer radio system to use that I can transfer over to my next plane such as a DX8?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Zip,

That's what I would do if you're thinking about sticking it out for a while. I think the new RTF versions come with a very basic Spektrum radio. Get the best TX you can afford. I have the DX9 and love it. Came over as a Futaba guy. The new DX6 looks good. Can't go wrong with Spektrum IMO but there are opinions that go 180 degrees to mine.

Folks get very emotionally attached to their TX's. LOL Even discussing the topic can bring out the worst in some people. The fact is most of the current 2.4 systems are pretty darn good. Pick your poison.

The old version HZSC was my first electric plane. Still have it and have since modded her out to the hilt. Keep her around for float flys. Lots of other good choices now.

Check out MotionRC. Great service/ free shipping.

The new Apprentice S is pretty nice. Flyzone Sensei http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-sens...-wingspan-rxr/ or Switch ,

Freewing Pandora http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-pan...-wingspan-pnp/

Same thing with a charger. Get a decent one. I love my iCharger 208b( ProgessiveRC or EP Buddy) but there are other great options out there. The chargers that come with the RTF's are a POS. You'll be waiting for the cows to come home to charge a simple 3S lipo.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Have fun- Hawk
Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I understand there's a SuperCub with SAFE coming out soon. Probably another great option.
Here's the RTF, comes with a Spektrum Dx4e: RTF
Here's BNF, BNF
With the RTF, you're getting the tx for only $30. Then when you buy a 'real' computer tx, you can keep this one for buddy boxing your friends who want to learn.
I'm not sure of a release date for this one, though.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners