Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
mudbeast2

Friends: (0)
Default Phoenix 5 update

I just downloaded the latest update to phoenix 5. Now it will not detect my USB connection. The program opens and with in 3 minutes while it's trying to find the USB it crashes. Any thoughts be fore I remove it and reinstall 3.0?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Dragonflyer

Mine has done some weird things also. I have lost all of the models I created.
Controls don't seem to work the way they should. At first it would not respond to the transmitter. Had to shut the program down and re-boot. Got frustrated and quit fiddling with it.
DF aka Bill
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
thosmosis

I tried it too. Then just uninstalled it. Couldn't see my Dynam USB Tx.

Reinstalled 3.0, then just updated to 4.0 instead.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

They have released the latest update yesterday. It is now 5.0L Maybe the issues you are having have been addressed.

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
thosmosis

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
They have released the latest update yesterday. It is now 5.0L Maybe the issues you are having have been addressed.
It may be resolved. I messed with it for a few days. Went through several version updates, crossing my fingers... But ended up uninstalling the whole shebang, and going back to 4.0. Which works fine with my USB Tx.

What are the advantages to 5.0? Anything you love about it?

So far I just hear complaints.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
mudbeast2

I don't know what the pros are I can't get it to run. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall 3.0.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I used it tonight, but glad I saw this thread earlier reporting the issue. As soon as I loaded the sim it asked to update I clicked no. I think I will hold off on the updates untill the bugs get worked out.

I too have had problems with the trims not working right. I tried recalibrating them and doesn't seem to work. Any of you have that issue?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
raming
Ramin G

Club: HCAM Austin

I tried uploading 5.0 with a wireless connection and it hung up twice. It uploaded successfully with a direct cable connection. It then immediately detected the 5.0x updates which also installed without issues.

The 5.0 experience is positive. It kept my DX5e Transmitter, Controls and Model configurations. The flight experience is more realistic (smoother video and better physics realism with wind, crashes etc.).

For reference, I am running the simulator in a MAC under VMware Fusion in Windows XP.

Trust, but Verify!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
vimy

Friends: (1)

Installed from Phoenix 4 disc and updated to P5. I used it for the first time 2 days ago and everything seems to work. It calibrated correctly and just worked. What ever problems were there earlier must have been sorted.

Since I have no other reference to compare to, P5 looks and performs OK. The scenery is quite good, the trainer "flies" realistically and responds well to my Tx inputs.

Has anyone had further issues since any of you were last here?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Mine updated ok from v4 without any problems (last update was to 'p') - everything works fine with USB dongle and DX6i.
I did lose my customised planes, like someone else mentioned - but can recreate those, easily enough.

The aerodynamics and physics feel much more realistic, than previous versions - better for learning.
I prefer the new levels of realism. Aircraft are more likely to stall. Even had a nasty tip-stall, which caught me by surprise, for a simulator.
Will maybe help to avoid 'sim-syndrome' - getting lazy & complacent about my flying style & picking up bad habits, which would be undesireable with real models.

I've yet to try the included 'Phoenix Builder' but there's potential for designing & flying your own models.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
vimy

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by sparky1963 View Post
Will maybe help to avoid 'sim-syndrome' - getting lazy & complacent about my flying style & picking up bad habits, which would be undesireable with real models.
I haven't heard of that phenomena, what happens in "sim-syndrome" that causes complacency?

Is it because in the back of your mind, you are not losing anything as it were when you crash a plane and because of that, you tend to get slack with your flying technique?

How do you recognise sim-syndrome creeping in and keep your flying disciplined when using the simulator?

Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Originally Posted by vimy View Post
I haven't heard of that phenomena, what happens in "sim-syndrome" that causes complacency?

Is it because in the back of your mind, you are not losing anything as it were when you crash a plane and because of that, you tend to get slack with your flying technique?

How do you recognise sim-syndrome creeping in and keep your flying disciplined when using the simulator?

Thanks for mentioning it.
You pretty much nailed it....
The r/c simulator is all about easy stick time, with no consequences. Great for teaching control reflexes, which only practice can improve.
The sim provides an array of popular models - all perfectly setup and working faultlessly.
The usual considerations (preflight checks, range checks, battery duration & general safety) are not given a thought. Just switch on and take off.
If you fly too close to yourself, there's no blood - just a reset model. If you get it badly wrong, you won't be going home with an expensive pile of bits.
If you wreck someone else's model (multiplayer), you won't lose any teeth.

There's a difference between casually guiding pixels around a photo sky - and seeing those pixels interact with their environment, on a believable level.

I've spent many relaxed hours, flying the Parkzone Spitfire MkIX in Phoenix R/C - but flying my real one, still scares the cr*p out of me - lol.
(You don't get the free adrenaline included, with a simulated model).

There's so many more things to concentrate on, with the real model:- gradual throttle-up & a touch of elevator, to avoid nose-overs.. rudder corrections on takeoff.. a timer for the battery..
a healthy respect for the sharp whirly bit at the front!.. awareness of wind direction (and everyone around me).. annoyingly intermittent retracts.. no brakes.
I'm more nervous about real aerobatics, so fly higher in case of mistakes, which means I can't see the aircraft as clearly.
Gravity, drag, friction etc, all work superbly in real life - waiting to turn my warbird into a smoking wreck, if my brain burps.

The first time I used v5, it seemed the physics were more realistic - I experienced tip-stall, nose-over, torque steer.. things which I'd never seen in V4.
However, I haven't been able to replicate that behaviour on subsequent flights (despite trying to deliberately provoke them) - leading me to think I might've imagined the improvements.

If virtual models are capable of crashing for the same reasons as their real-life counterparts, that's going to be more educational.
As an infrequent UK flier, I spend far more time on the sim, than at the field, so I sometimes need the odd reminder about the sciencey stuff, which keeps models airborne.

Putting 5 in a jar, for every virtual crash, might be a good reminder to apply the same discipline as you would for a real model.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators