Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)
Default popup adds just started,buggers get in the way!

I'm sure everyone gets some sort of advertising pop ups and my blocker has always kept these suppressed. but now they keep popping up every few minutes and right over what ever I'm watching or reading.

this automated adverts think they are offering me what i want and theres no contact information to delete their services.

i don't want to take the PC to the shop but seriously ,these things are p!ss!ng me off. anyone know how to rid a comp of these adverts.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Check out AVG antivirus Do the 30 day trial of the full version to clean up the machine. Then keep using the free version to keep 99.9% of the garbage off your machine... The other .1%, just stay away from sites you wouldn't want your mom to know about.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
spog

Friends: (0)

You likely have a program which was installed on your PC which is hijacking your browser. Some times this program can simply be uninstalled using the control panel. If the problem started recently, some times it can be fixed by using the windows system restore to restore your computer to a previous date.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I have three utilities I use ...

a) Crap Cleaner. This removes all the temp files and rubbish that clogs up a machine, just note that unless you tell it not to - it removes password cookies saved to log-in to sites like this.

b) Any good AV software .. AVG free is good and what I use.

c) Spybot - Search and Destroy

Use of the above will clean up most machines and remove the cookie or 'implant' that is causing your problem.
Spybot also immunizes your machine ...

If it's first time running above - go make a coffee while it works !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have three utilities I use ...

a) Crap Cleaner. This removes all the temp files and rubbish that clogs up a machine, just note that unless you tell it not to - it removes password cookies saved to log-in to sites like this.

b) Any good AV software .. AVG free is good and what I use.

c) Spybot - Search and Destroy

Use of the above will clean up most machines and remove the cookie or 'implant' that is causing your problem.
Spybot also immunizes your machine ...

If it's first time running above - go make a coffee while it works !

Nigel
Just don't ask Spybot for any assistance if you have any problems. I did and was given a series of programs to download and run. By the third one I was flooded with so many popup ads my computer became almost unusable. Seriously, I had popups interrupting the popups! It took a bit of finagling and a full run of Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Super antispyware, but I finally got rid of them.

After which I promptly uninstalled Spybot, wrote a scalding comment on their forum and never looked back!

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I use both Spybot and AVG free but go and look at your installed programs. Chances are good you'll see a few that don't belong. Uninstall.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Dont you just hate All of those Pop ups, GET RID OF THEM FOR GOOD, Download GHOSTERY and take back Control, That What i did, LOL

A little purple box comes up and the Pop up is cancelled with a line through it, gee, I found at least 9 pop ups on the Wattflyer page alone, one being Double Click (Ads) , Exelate ( Beacon ), Internet Brands (Ads) , Open X (Ads) , and others, they are all blocked now

https://www.ghostery.com/download

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Haven't had a computer for about 10 years, but spybot and avg free always treated me well. also, don't use internet explorer or firefox. the constantly download background stuff.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

i tried emailing to service provider for the ads and opt out of everything. it seemed to only opt out of personalized ads. today theres no pop ups!!i also played around with the blocker settings and it seems to have logged me off other RC forums. hopefully all well in the PC.

i thank one and all for the suggestions and will be updating my computer with one of the programs suggested. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Never had any problem with spybot.

Problem is so many popups and other are clever and it takes combination of utils to remove or block. I use IE and have no problem.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

I haven't gotten any popup from WattFlyer or RCGroups yet, or had any other problems EXCEPT for embedded YouTube videos. They play, but the visual part is whitewashed out so I have to click the "Watch on YouTube" link to see them. This is the only site where that happens, so it must be a conflict between WF and IE.

After it totally locked up my computer a few years ago (to the point that I had to have the entire drive wiped and re-loaded! ) I will NEVER touch 'Firefux' again.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

With Windows 8.1 I use the antivirus within the system, no separate installed antivirus, and I have had no issues with popups. Popups that come up over the screen is due to a program that you likely installed without knowledge; many programs you download that are legitimate give you offers of other software, such as toolbar garbage. My father has been in the habit of not reading through when installing, and instead just click next, accept and so on, without realizing that some of the "accept" terms are for other programs. Some of these programs can be a real pain and require to go into registry to delete, or program data and such, of which can be accessed by showing hidden folders in My Computer, or This PC in Windows 8. I have used all types of Linux, and know my way through any Windows version, so I have no issue removing anything that may find its way into my comp. Use CCleaner (which is what Crap Cleaner is, as Nigel suggested) to uninstall programs, for it removes registry stuff, unlike the native Windows Programs and Features which doesn't, I feel. Also, try ComboFix, it runs as a Command Prompt, and it really cleans up stuff. Furthermore, in an elevated Command Prompt, use sfc/scannow, and that will typically repair any damaged registry files that such annoying programs can cause. AVG is a good antivirus, do not bother with Norton crap. Norton has the highest rating, but it is bloody slow, and I do not see it as having good detection and protection at all. One more thing, try to stay away from Internet Explorer, or at least I do. Chrome is a great browser, despite some saying it is slow. I have had only good experiences with Chrome. Firefox is another good choice, but I just don't like the feel of it.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
spog

Friends: (0)

The best tool for ensuring a "clean" computer is the drive imaging tool included with windows. You can make a drive image after a fresh install and update it every time you recover an image. Rebuilding a PC from scratch is tedious to say the least.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by spog View Post
The best tool for ensuring a "clean" computer is the drive imaging tool included with windows. You can make a drive image after a fresh install and update it every time you recover an image. Rebuilding a PC from scratch is tedious to say the least.
I don't find recovery too bad unless you are one who likes to have a stock computer with all of that bloatware. I like my computer clean, so if something goes wrong, I reinstall windows in 15 minutes, install office in about 15 minutes, and chrome automatically saves everything I have, so I just have to sign back into Chrome and I have everything I need again, even passwords. Windows, I feel, does just need a reinstall sometimes if you have a HD. I can have nothing wrong with the OS, but the HD just needs a refresh. With an SSD, this is not required, as the SSD does not fragment.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I don't understand peoples obsession with data personally.

Back in the dial up days I had a 20 gig hard drive on my server. it was online continuously for over 3 years. I was always downloading and music and games. I never once filled that hard drive. things are even worse now for most people. my brother has a 500gb hd on my old computer, and two 500gb hd external usb.

I have had the same 8gb sd card on my cell phone since 2006 and I have never erased anything off of it.

Btw, Facebook is one of the largest sources for spamware on a desktop.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I don't understand peoples obsession with data personally.

Back in the dial up days I had a 20 gig hard drive on my server. it was online continuously for over 3 years. I was always downloading and music and games. I never once filled that hard drive. things are even worse now for most people. my brother has a 500gb hd on my old computer, and two 500gb hd external usb.

I have had the same 8gb sd card on my cell phone since 2006 and I have never erased anything off of it.

Btw, Facebook is one of the largest sources for spamware on a desktop.
I don't use much either, mostly music actually. Movies I delete once I watch them. A game could be 10gb, but once I finish it its gone.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I started using Malwarebytes many years ago (and dumped Spybot at the same time), and I have not gotten any annoying pop-us or the dreaded "Your computer has been infected by a virus and needs to be cleaned" scams.

Fortunately, my company has a Corporate license for Pro now, and I have it installed on everything.

Pat Gagnon
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #18
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I like the light version of malwarebytes, pro seems to stop everything from downloading such as music, movies, pc games. I prefer my computer to have as little on it as possible, and ccleaner is about it.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

I get those blocked balloons from Malwarebytes also, but most the time it's just on adult sites (or images if I'm searching for such). I almost never get a warning from music, videos or movies. I don't download games, but seeing as they all contain .exe files, I can set the potential for problems.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #20
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Well torrent sites get blocked and their ports. I tried pro from torrent :p

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat