Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
93bandit

Friends: (0)
Exclamation What electric motor do I need?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'll start off with a small introduction. I'm a Automotive Mech Engineering Major college kid in Kansas, and I'm 19 years old, will be 20 this summer. My uncle is big into RC planes and has been trying to get me into them. It's not that I didn't want to get into them, it's just the fact that everything costs money, and I've already got two other expensive hobbies (Building a mustang for the drag strip, and I'm a drummer, so I've got some money dumped into drums).

Well, I met a guy at my college who's getting into RC planes, and I mentioned to him that my Uncle was big into them. My buddy told me that I should really think about getting a plane and start flying with him (my buddy). Sooooooo, this week when I got home for spring break I went to my uncles house and talked to him for a while about possible getting 1 plane to mess around with/learn on. He told be he got a plane from and auction for dirt cheap because nobody wanted it. He called it an "indestructible plane" and said I could have it, but recommended something different thats easier to start with. I told him that the indestructible one would be good enough. And I figure its a good thing I took that one because I'll most likely be crashing a lot! I figure this way I shouldn't have to make as many major repairs.

The plane he gave me is made out of corrugated plastic. I'm sure a lot of you Vets know what I'm talking about. It is set up for nitro, but I'd rather have electric. I believe it has all the servos I need to make it fly. The only thing I know of that it needs is a power source (battery), motor and receiver. My friend has a receiver and transmitter we can use for this plane, although I may end up getting a receiver for this plane and just use his transmitter. So my biggest question is what electric motor to get for this thing? I have absolutely no idea what size/brand to get. I read through a few of the threads on how to choose motors and such, but I still need help. This plane is pretty heavy, so I know I'll need a powerful motor. Also, I'm sure I'll need to modify this plane to fit the electric motor since its set up for a nitro motor. Being that I'm in college and have other expenses at the moment, I am on a tight budget. I realize that sometimes you can skimp on parts, but other times you can't (this is a HUGE problem with newbs in the "race car" world). I will most likely try to find a motor on Ebay that will suit my needs for a good price if at all possible. I probably won't be able to purchase anything until I start my summer job again (Mid May) unless I come across a deal too good to pass up.

RECAP: What motor should I purchase to get this heavy thing airborne???

Thanks to everyone for help!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
93bandit

Pictures of said plane:

Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
93bandit

If I need to clarify any previously provided info, or need to add any more info, PLEASE ASK! I'll try to find out how much this thing weighs.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

That is one of the "SPAD" (Simple Plastic Aircraft Design) combat models... not really a good candidate for electric or for a beginner's first airplane.

It would need power equal to a .46 glow on 20% nitro... or about 700 to 800 watts of power. E-Flite Power 46 on 4 cell 3300 mah LiPo with a 60 amp ESC would do it.

It will be a very responsive airplane requiring a hand launch and its going to struggle until it gains some airspeed... A bad launch or inexperienced pilot (even with a good launch) is pretty sure to plant it firmly in the dirt.

www.spadtothebone.net
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Size and weight would be a big help, as would finding out what size nitro engine it used to fly on.

These conversions generally need a bit of work. You need to think on how you get the battery in and out for charging. You don't really want to have to take the wing off every time to do this, and the battery will need to be retained somehow to stop it moving around in flight.

And by the way... this model is not well suited for a beginner. It may be tough but even tough planes will break if you crash hard enough and often enough. Trying to fly an aerobatic model such as this with no experience pretty much guarantees you will crash constantly.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
93bandit

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Size and weight would be a big help, as would finding out what size nitro engine it used to fly on.

These conversions generally need a bit of work. You need to think on how you get the battery in and out for charging. You don't really want to have to take the wing off every time to do this, and the battery will need to be retained somehow to stop it moving around in flight.

And by the way... this model is not well suited for a beginner. It may be tough but even tough planes will break if you crash hard enough and often enough. Trying to fly an aerobatic model such as this with no experience pretty much guarantees you will crash constantly.
Thanks for the reply. My uncle said it requires a 40 size nitro engine. Not sure what that means. He told me it isn't the best for a beginner, so I fully accept the responsibility. I understand I'll crash a lot. I'm stubborn though lol (its generally my downfall)

I have some ideas about battery placement and what not
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
93bandit

Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply fhhuber.

I figured it would struggle until it got enough airspeed. So is electric completely out of the question, or could I still do it? I've flown airplanes with my uncle before, so I have a LITTLE experience. I'm no professional by any means, but I do have a bit of flight time under my belt. I'd really like to go electric if at all possible. I would really rather not have to mess with fuel and what not.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
93bandit

So it would need a motor similar to this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Planes...p2054897.l4276
Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Save yourself some money and check this one out. On a 4 cell battery it will give you plenty of power. Great place to do business with.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-A-274.htm
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
93bandit

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Save yourself some money and check this one out. On a 4 cell battery it will give you plenty of power. Great place to do business with.
Thanks! I need to save money where I can

Could you provide a link to the proper battery I need?

And what size of prop would be good for this application?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Put the Fear This Plane on the Shelf for a while, its a 3rd or 4th plane, straight wing and way to responsive for a beginner, you need to walk before you can run, 1st get a simulator, next, get a power glider, a glider will; give you time to think and get your hand eye coordination down, and learn how to fly in a little wind, a very good power glider is a Easy Star or a Knock off of that style plane,

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Chellie he said he was stubborn I think he is going to fly the plane no matter what.

From Jeffs chart on props it looks like a 11x5 would give you plenty of power with a 4 cell battery. Problem is you need to figure out the center of gravity and how much wgt. you need to get the balance. Kinda hard to say how many mah 4cell battery you will need. You have a big learning curve jumping into this hobby with that plane and converting it to electric.

Here's some good reading for you on selecting a power system.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521
Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Chellie he said he was stubborn I think he is going to fly the plane no matter what.

From Jeffs chart on props it looks like a 11x5 would give you plenty of power with a 4 cell battery. Problem is you need to figure out the center of gravity and how much wgt. you need to get the balance. Kinda hard to say how many mah 4cell battery you will need. You have a big learning curve jumping into this hobby with that plane and converting it to electric.

I am Stubborn Too But i hate to see someone try to fly a Plane thats Way Way over their head, its ok to be a Little Stubborn but you have to draw the line between Stubborn and Stupid IMHO

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #14
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I am Stubborn Too But i hate to see someone try to fly a Plane thats Way Way over their head, its ok to be a Little Stubborn but you have to draw the line between Stubborn and Stupid IMHO
What's the worse that can happen. He crashes and learns how to repair a plane. We all need to learn that at some point in our journey in this hobby.
Some just learn it at a quicker pace.

I know your right, and a beginners plane would be much better to learn on than the S.P.A.D.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #15
93bandit

What's the worse that can happen. He crashes and learns how to repair a plane. We all need to learn that at some point in our journey in this hobby.
Some just learn it at a quicker pace.

I know your right, and a beginners plane would be much better to learn on than the S.P.A.D.
Thank you. I agree with you. I understand there is a big risk, but I'm ready for it. My uncle said it'd be pretty hard to destroy this plane.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
Thank you. I agree with you. I understand there is a big risk, but I'm ready for it. My uncle said it'd be pretty hard to destroy this plane.
Might be true. However, that doesn't mean that a hard crash, or even a "Mild" crash won't bend up your motor's prop shaft, and damage the ESC and battery pack. With a limited budget, that could end your flying time, perhaps on the first flight or two.

If at all possible, get together with an instructor with a master/slave transmitter training system during your re-learning period. That will allow your model to last with little damage during your re-introduction to RC flying.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #17
93bandit

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Stupid is a bit excessive IMO, but I understand your concern, and I do value your opinion. I appreciate everyone's help. Like I said before, I don't have much $$$ to spend, so buying another plane is out of the question. I understand there is the proper way to go about learning to fly, and the "stupid" way to do it. I've flown before and I'm a very quick learner. My uncle said I was much better than him the first time I flew with him, and he'd been flying a year at that time. Again, I'm not saying I'm very experienced. I understand I will crash, and this will be a more difficult plane to fly. As long as I understand these things and accept that it is a risk, whats the harm? I will not be the most avid RC plane flyer. I'm only doing this because the plane was free and my uncle could care less about it, and it's something to do on weekends at college.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #18
93bandit

Thanks for the info
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #19
93bandit

So if I got this motor, battery, and prop, that should be enough motor and battery power/life for flight?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=6389

I'll get at least 5 props. I know there are better ones out there, but since I'll be crashing a lot I'd rather not spend too much on props till I get the hang of it.

And I'll see if I can find my fish weight scale to measure the weight of the plane.

EDIT: I'll need a receiver as well. Recommendations on receivers? I suppose I need to find out what transmitter I'll be using before you can recommend a receiver?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #20
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
So if I got this motor, battery, and prop, that should be enough motor and battery power/life for flight?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=6389

I'll get at least 5 props. I know there are better ones out there, but since I'll be crashing a lot I'd rather not spend too much on props till I get the hang of it.

And I'll see if I can find my fish weight scale to measure the weight of the plane.

EDIT: I'll need a receiver as well. Recommendations on receivers? I suppose I need to find out what transmitter I'll be using before you can recommend a receiver?
That set up will work, personally I'd go for a lower kv motor and higher cell battery, but either option gets the job done.

You will need an ESC, because you went the low cell/high current route it will have to be a fairly big one, such as this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

You will also need a LiPo charger.

You need to know the Tx type before selecting a receiver.

I know it's been said before but trying to learn on a plane like this has very VERY low chance of success... I understand that you think you know better and you are going to do it anyway, but just remember that when the almost inevitable happens, and you wreck it and get disillusioned, we told you this.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 AM   #21
deadair

this thread begs for a "Champ"...to get started in rc...will cost a lot less than getting the cheap parts to make "fear this" ...fly

"champ" and radio...under a 100$
Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #22
fhhuber
Super Contributor

It will be hard to beat this package for value and the Cub has been considered one of the best choices in trainers for over 40 years.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy894...w-rtf-24g.html
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
It will be hard to beat this package for value and the Cub has been considered one of the best choices in trainers for over 40 years.

Agreed:
The local EAA chapter bought one of these for their program with grade school kids. I did the trainer cord flights with this model and a half dozen kids. It is a very nice, very stable model, capable of a lot off good things.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #24
93bandit

Thank you all for the quick responses. I didn't realize that you could get electric RTF planes for cheap. All I knew about this is what my uncle has told me, which is that electric can get really expensive, and he likes the Nitro planes better, so he's probably a little bias

I like the fact that you all have made friendly warnings, not "you stupid for even thinking about this, and you will fail unless you get such and such plane", although I'm sure most of you are thinking that lol. I appreciate the concern. The more I think about it, and since you all say that my plane is really that hard to learn on, I am now considering a RTF plane.

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

You say this ^ is the best package for a learner. This will include EVERYTHING to fly? As in, I can open the box, put it together, and not have to by ANYTHING else to go flying? If so, that doesn't seem to bad. I'm assuming that plane is made of balsa wood and a plastic type wrap? I'd rather not get a balsa wood plane, just because I don't want to have to repair the fuselage or wing and have to re-wrap it. Is there a RTF "trainer" kit out there that is competitively priced that is made of a foamish type material, or a lighter weight plastic? Just something that is more forgiving than balsa wood?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #25
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note: The Dynam TX does NOT buddy box. I expect the Nitroplanes/Dynam Cub used with buddy box was the RX ready (ARF by Nitroplanes labeling... no TX, RX, charger or battery)

Full package is still a good deal. Cost of battery and a cheap charger brings the price of getting the "ARF" up right even with the RTF, so you can consider the Dynam TX/RX in the package as nearly free. And the only bad thing about that TX/RX set is lack of buddy box capability.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners