Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Parkzone Focke-Wulf 190 Unboxing, Maiden, and Review
Parkzone Focke-Wulf 190 Unboxing, Maiden, and Review
Published by GBLynden
03-30-2014
Default Parkzone Focke-Wulf 190 Unboxing, Maiden, and Review

Hey guys!

I finally got to maiden my FW-190. I put together both an unboxing, maiden flight, and review video for those considering getting it and a video with just the maiden flight.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here are my review notes for this plane:

Cons:
- Elevator needs more throws; low rates did not provide enough elevator throw
- Rudder and steerable tail-wheel out of sync
- Not available in Plug and Play option

Pros:
- Lands well in grass
- Amazing detail and paint finish
- Rolls well on low rates
- Loops well on high rates

GB
Specifications
Wingspan: 43.3 in Overall Length: 44.4 oz Flying Weight: 37.0 in
Equipment Used:
Motor: 15-size 950Kv Speed Control: 30-amp Battery: 3S 2000mAh
Retail Price:
$199
Manufacturer
Parkzone

Author review
Kit Instructions:
80%80%80%
Materials & Packaging:
80%80%80%
Ease of Build & Finish:
90%90%90%
Design & Appearance:
90%90%90%
General Flight Characteristics:
80%80%80%
Performance Capabilities:
80%80%80%
Average 83%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Super Contributor

Is this a new release or has it been available for a long time?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Is this a new release or has it been available for a long time?
It has been out for around a year. I actually hated it when it first came out (I wanted a P-40 from them), but after seeing flight videos on YouTube and folks saying how much they like theirs, I decided to give it a go.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 AM
Super Contributor

Well, it looks nice. The 190 has always been one of my favorites. I know they are building to a particular market but I have always found the ParkZone warbirds to be a little on the small size. I wish they were nearer 55 to inches.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Well, it looks nice. The 190 has always been one of my favorites. I know they are building to a particular market but I have always found the ParkZone warbirds to be a little on the small size. I wish they were nearer 55 to inches.
That would be nice if they were and if I had something to transport something that large, but I am pretty happy with this for now

The second flight shows off what this plane can do a bit better than the first flight:

YouTube Video
Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Love my Stinger

Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez

Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
That would be nice if they were and if I had something to transport something that large, but I am pretty happy with this for now

The second flight shows off what this plane can do a bit better than the first flight:

YouTube Video
GB very cool review. These videos are by far your best yet. I would really like to know what your camera person is using to get those shots. I am real curious to know how you got those close ups as well
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Warbird Fanatic

This is the only Parkzone I like truthfully liked the looks of, although the prop seems small to me. I don't mind 2-blade, it's what I using for everything, it's just it looks like the prop is for a smaller plane. I like the parts support, but when I compared my Durafly Spitfire to the Parkzone, Durafly definitely had the looks. Would be neat if they made a JU-87, and then you'd never think of retracts. Very nice vids.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
This is the only Parkzone I like truthfully liked the looks of, although the prop seems small to me. I don't mind 2-blade, it's what I using for everything, it's just it looks like the prop is for a smaller plane. I like the parts support, but when I compared my Durafly Spitfire to the Parkzone, Durafly definitely had the looks. Would be neat if they made a JU-87, and then you'd never think of retracts. Very nice vids.
Thank you very much and I agree that the prop looks small, but just like I tell the ladies, it has no problems getting the job done

I am considering branching out into other brands, so I am open to any suggestions for my next plane. It sounds like you have owned/flown/seen a number of them.

Thank you again for watching my videos and responding to this.

GB
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Warbird Fanatic

Warbirds are what I love the most, and I've analyzed all at my LHS, including Parkzone and FMS. I've only attempted to fly the durafly spitty so far, unfortunately, so I am not one to ask about the best flyer. My first attempt the tail wheel popped off, and I decided to power down instead of getting more air onto the rudder to kick it to the right. It slowly drifted into a curb turning the 4 blade into a two blade, literally. After getting a 2 blade from LHS, the plane wouldn't fly, they gave me a unsuitable prop. When I got a good prop, it started to fly, but I gather a rudder servo failure from the other little bumps caused it to veer and end it's life. Why didn't I repair it? Well to ship all parts, the package was too large and to ship multiple parts, it was as expensive as a new plane. That being said, durafly stuff looks real, but parts availability is an issue, as well as comparability. I have two warbirds now, a p51 needing a retract servo and a p47 just needing covering and electronics install.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Super Contributor

The Butcher Bird looks great, i like the way it sits up on it's long main gear, just like the real one.

Is there a retract option for it?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The Butcher Bird looks great, i like the way it sits up on it's long main gear, just like the real one.

Is there a retract option for it?
Yes there is! There is also an optional bomb drop that I just received, but haven't had a chance to play with since I waited until the last minutes to finish my taxes lol

I may post something related to that in here when I can get to it. I think I am a ways out from retracts, however. I like to land in grass and I am not too sure how durable they are vs my landing skills at this point.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Warbird Fanatic

Wish a Stuka would come out.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Contributor

Wish a Stuka would come out.
Wish granted:
YouTube Video

Stukas are tricky beasts though, those sharply tapered wings result in tricky stall characteristics.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Warbird Fanatic

Wish granted:
YouTube Video

Stukas are tricky beasts though, those sharply tapered wings result in tricky stall characteristics.
I meant Parkzone...give them a reason not to include retracts lol. Can't beat the locks of that Durafly though, just need some wailing sirens
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Super Contributor

Yep, i also avoid smaller models with retracts for the same reason, they generally don't stand up to rough grass field use.... Which is a real shame because the Butcher Bird would look even better with retracts
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 AM

Yep, i also avoid smaller models with retracts for the same reason, they generally don't stand up to rough grass field use.... Which is a real shame because the Butcher Bird would look even better with retracts
I agree the it is a shame. Maybe I will win the lotto and make a nice section of runways for my FW-190 lol
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Warbird Fanatic

And that's why I put huge wheels on my p47, carved out right to the fuse. I'll be landing on the street, but may be flying at a field during summer.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Wish granted:
YouTube Video

That is a pretty cool plane, but I am not sure I would get one at this stage of my RC career.

And that's why I put huge wheels on my p47, carved out right to the fuse. I'll be landing on the street, but may be flying at a field during summer.
Do you have any pictures or video of how you did that to your P-47?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Warbird Fanatic

Are you planning to do this on a foam P47? You should have little issue just carving area out more and installing bigger wheels.

Here is one pic from my build: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...7&d=1394173207

and the vid of working retracts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o3i...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM

I am always looking for new ways to do things actually. I don't own a P-47.....yet

PS: I just subbed to your YouTube channel.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Warbird Fanatic

Thanks, not many vids yet, homing to get some flight videos at some point, just trying to figure out the best way to do so.

You may enjoy building a plane or two, I certainly am enjoying building, although it is not without the frustrations, especially in covering. I find building also gives you more freedom, as with foam rtf's, they are essentially what you get. Foam is easier to repair however. I am hoping more kits will come about, to allow me to expand my warbird fleet. Warbirds are may main interest; just having something that looks historical makes me happy to fly.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 AM

I think you may be right. I have learned enough at this point to accept the challenge that building a plane presents. I just need to find the time and space now.

On the flight video front, my biggest roadblock is having someone to video my flights. Now that the days are getting longer, that should be less of an issue, but it is still a challenge.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Warbird Fanatic

How do you film your own vids? I wouldn't mind to be able to do that, but I don't know about how to film and fly.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Contributor

The FW 190 is one of my favs .. it has a character all its' own ...

I wish I could get hold of an old 1980's kit version - ROJAIR FW 190 which was sold in UK ... designed for 25 - 40 glow ... I had one back then and it was simply a great model.

On the subject of how to video - I use a Keycam velcro'd to my baseball cap peak - I call it Hatcam in the credits of videos I upload.
I know it leads to jumping around as I look here - there - everywhere but the main point of my video'ing is not for others - but for my diagnostics of flights. The uploading and links for others is secondary.
222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Warbird Fanatic

Just gotta make sure it stays at the right angle I gather. I can't figure out where to find a decent enough camera though, one that can show video that is quite clear and sound that isn't muffled or too shrill.
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »