Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default Charger/Power Supply Combo

As a beginner I am still charging my Apprentice's 3200 mah batteries with the included 2-3 cell charger using my truck battery, but am now considering a new, improved charger, probably the Icharger 106B+. Progressive offers the charger and a power supply combo for $115 (The charger by itself is @$90). Knowing very little about "power supplies" (and being totally incompetent concerning building one) my question is whether the power supply included with the 106B+ is sufficiently powerful. From power supply price comparisons I have found from various sources, Progressive's combo prices seem like a fairly good deal. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks. Gary
Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Gary,the Icharger 106B is certainly a very good choice for a charger,i'm very happy with mine.I'm not familiar with the power supply you mention,but you should aim for a minimum of 10Amps 12v output.
I use converted computer power supplies,which work very good with the average 4-button charger.My biggest battery packs are only 3000mah though,so if you use bigger packs,you may need a heavier supply.
regards.Hans.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

The 'Starter 220W Combo' at progressive would be fine for your needs. The only time that the 220W power supply could not meed the demands of the 250W charger would be if you were charging large 6s packs. Personally though I'd seriously consider stretching to the next combo deal up 'The Ticket 350W Combo'... this will give you double the charge rate when charging 3s batteries because the 206b has a 20A output vs. the 10A output on the 106b.

But it depends on your budget, the 106b is a good charger and all you really need if you only want to charge one or two of your batteries at a time. The higher current output comes in if you want to charge three of more batteries together and quickly.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
garyp1029

Friends: (0)

After researching various models from various companies I really can not envision ever flying anything larger than 50" Dynam Warbirds which require 14.8 volts and 2200 mah. If I am correct the 106B+ at 10 amps would permit charging at least 3 or possibly 4 such batteries in parallel. It apparently would also handle 3 of the Apprentice's 3200 mah batteries in parallel--9600 mah. Or would this be pushing to close to the stated 10 amp limit? Thanks. Gary
Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I would handle as many batteries as you wanted but charging time increases. As mentioned in the other thread, LiPo batteries these days can almost always be charged at least at '2c' charge rate. At 2c charge rate your batteries will typically take 25-30 minutes to charge.

To work what this means in amps just take the capacity in mAh, multiply by 2 divide by 1000.

So for a single 3200mAh battery = 3200 x 2 /1000 = 6.4Amps charge current.

So a 10A charger starts to be limiting if you charge any more than one 3200mAh battery in parallel. If this is a problem or not depends how quickly you want to charge the batteries, charging slowly has no adverse effect on the battery itself only on the time it takes. If you have three 3200mAh batteries and a 10A current limit then you could only charge at 1c rate, so it would take about an hour to charge them.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

gary,

Good choice on the I-charger . Love mine. The 350W PS and paraboard are very compact .Progressive RC and EPBuddy are both good companies . I did find the Junsi much quieter than the Progressive ; http://www.buddyrc.com/junsi-p350-power-supply.html

For PS's , one of our club members, a tech at Verizon has a side business making and selling PC power supplies. Very nice. Ultra high quality: http://feathermerchantrc.com/

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
For PS's , one of our club members, a tech at Verizon has a side business making and selling PC power supplies. Very nice. Ultra high quality: http://feathermerchantrc.com/

Cheers,

Hawk
Why've you been holding out on us, Hawk??? I would have grabbed one of those before if I'd known about it. I wound up chancing across a 30A PS for $20 on Craigslist at the right time, though. Well, I'll file his site away in case I ever need more.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post

Cheers,

Hawk
I have one, used with my PL6 -- great and fast. Selling my older FM model and getting a newer smaller quieter and of course more $$

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

x,

Sorry. I've been flying with James for 3 years and didn't even realize he had this business until last week. He's not a big self promoter. turns out a lot of members use his gear, especially, the guys flying the big stuff.

Man, can he fly ! A joy to watch. Flys a lot of 3DHS large 3D planes

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions