Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)
Default addicted to dollar tree foam board

I've been building for a little while now. All my builds have been traditional balsa construction. Laser cut kits, Sig kits, even guillows.
There's just an amazing feeling after completing a build and seeing a plane in front of you that at one time was just some sheets of wood.

Recently I tried a speed build kit from flitetest. Learned the basics of working with the material. Found some plans online and started building. I haven't looked back since.
Same satisfaction of a traditional build but at a fraction of the cost.
Dollar tree foam board is $1.25 a sheet here in Canada. At most I use 2 sheets in a typical build. What that does is eliminate the pucker facter on the maiden.
Great build satisfaction, and no stress on the maiden.
Not to mention that you can build and fly it all on the same day.
Feel like flying a wing today but don't have one? No problem. Cut it out, put it together, throw it in the air.

I'll still be building my traditional and classic kits, nothing will ever replace that. But these quicky dollar tree planes sure are a blast.

Hmm. Wonder if I'll still feel the same after my first quad arrives in the mail next week?

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
swimmer

Friends: (2)

I've built a number of profile planes from DT foam, F22's, SR71's, Flying Wing and One Sheet Racer to name a few, most from just one sheet. A large city park is my back yard so I can grab one of these at a moments notice and run out and fly for 5 minutes or an hour. I like being able to take advantage of sporadic and few calm Kansas days and evenings.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Here in new zealand,the "dollar tree" board is $8.50,or about $7US.
It's still cheap compared to EPP,which is around $12 for a sheet half the size.
I won't even mention the cost of balsa,except to say I buy it Stateside from Tower Hobbies,and after paying the freight,I'm still well in the black!
We also have "artboard,which is $17,but the sheet is half as big again as the "dollartree" stuff.My local supplier had Elmer's board for awhile,but I didn;t like it as much.The paper is real thick,but once you take it off the board is only 5/32 thick,and thus very floppy.
So $8.50 "dollar tree" board it is
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

FWIW - my favorite foam is 1/4" blue Dow Protection Board. Because it is a standard house building material, it may well be available in NZ or, if not, you might be able to find a handy analog at a local building supply.

A flier on the other forum is in Slovakia and had no access to everyone's favorite foams, but was able to find something similar to the Dow fanfold for a reasonable price.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race
Friends: (0)

I wish that Dow foam was available in Canada, it's not approved under the building code so nobody bothers to import it. Some people close to the border buy boxes of it and bring it into Canada.
Somebody could actually create a small online business I think exporting this stuff to modellers in smaller easier to ship quantities. Don't think you'd make much money but maybe enough to offset some of the hobby expenses.
Luckily we can get Elmers foam board in all the dollar type stores. You can also buy it at most office supply places but at about double the price.
The other thing I haven't been able to find in Canada is Welders Cement, don't think that one is a big deal, it eats dollar store foam doesn't it?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

There is stuff similar to Dow foam available here. I've found it at several wholesale flooring distributors. Its blue, about 6 mm thick and comes in 8x4 and 4x3 sheets.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet but will soon.

Another thing we don't have up here are reasonably priced lipos, don't even get me started on that,

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race

Don't get me going on that one! I'm mainly an rc boater, you want to talk about battery cost! High C High MAH packs, cheap chinese doesn't cut it, all Hyperion, Dinogy and TP.
I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my electric boats and building a couple gassers. LOL just changed over from nitro 3 years ago.....
Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Wrongway-Feldman

LHS only carries eflite batteries. $70 for a 3s 2200 is a bit steal.
They also only carry eflite motors and esc's. For the price of one battery, motor, ESC cobo at the LHS I can order 10 to 15 online shipped to my door. People wonder why LHS are loosing business. Worst thing is that it's not even the shops fault.
Local owner says that in order for him to carry horizon hobby products he has to carry their electronics as well. Even their dealer price is astronomically high. Don't know if that's true but it would explain some thing.
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a Canada based online distribution for the lower priced products but minimum quantities required by the manufacturers make it prohibitive to make it viable.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I think I've tried most of the foams in building profile jets. 6mm depron, MPF( hybrid) Dollar tree., Keep coming back to good ole DT. Add some color packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com and you're in biz.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I think I've tried most of the foams in building profile jets. 6mm depron, MPF( hybrid) Dollar tree., Keep coming back to good ole DT. Add some color packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com and you're in biz.
I haven't built any profile jets yet. So far I've been sticking with built up body models.
I'm just in the process of cutting out an Avro Arrow from plans by rcrairieflyyer.
Last week I built the FT 22 raptor next week will be the FT Viggen, as long as the ESC I ordered for my 70mm edf arrives in time.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Built the FT Saab Viggen. Nice plane. Easy build. You'll like it. Build video was right on the mark. Got the Detrum 70mm combo pack from Hobbypartz.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Mc,we don't have the blue Dow foam here.The only thing interesting from a modelers viewpoint is Goldfoam,basically a polyurethane foam sheet.Unfortunately,the minimum thickness is 10mm,so a bit thick for the average foamy.
I do intend to use it to build a foam beaver I saw somewhere.A full 8x4' sheet is about $15us.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I never doubted you. I only mentioned it with the thought that there might well be some analog available in any country where homes are built and renovated - e.g. my friend in Slovakia.

I have no personal experience outside the U.S.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I didn't mean to cause any offense,Mc.Just making an observation.
I have seen thick white foam used for insulation in houses,but that's worse than useless for modeling purposes.
We used to be able to buy polyurethane sheet,but if the stuff caught fire,the gases were highly toxic,hence this being banned.It actually was good stuff for modeling,easy to sand and shape.The goldfoam I mentioned is actually closed-cell polystyrene.It's also easy to work with,but you have toe be careful not to use any solvent-based paint on it.Guess how i found that out.All up,there seems to be no better material than the good old "dollar-tree "stuff.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Absolutely no offence taken.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Friends: (15)

I started a couple years ago building with DTF and its nice to build with and CHEAP ! lol I get 1/4 inch Dow fanfold off of my jobsites free so i use it also. Weighs more that DTF but its stronger . I found some sheets like DTF at the Hobby-lobby craft store but they are almost twice as big but i have not peeled the paper off yet. I always have my eye out for new foam to build with but so far you cant beat DTF ,its easy to find and for 1 a sheet you cant beat it. I use gorrila glue on my foam builds also ,just because iam a cheap ars. lol joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canard flight.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	175095   Click image for larger version

Name:	flying one.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	175096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Judi Jetstream paint.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	175097   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowly 5 mine.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	175098   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum # left side.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	175099  

Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

DHC Beaver i think there are some guys buying the MPF and having it shipped to them where your at but iam not shure . You can read the thread and find out . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post28086317
Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
crispy
Foam Concept Jets

Club: Foam Flyer's
Send a message via Yahoo to crispy
Default I also love foam board here is a 70mm edf bat wing i built.

http://youtu.be/IRvvjODJFSo
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

A foam board I am looking at is Kerdiboard. suggested price for 3/8 inch 48x64 foot board is around 80 bucks, so a 12x16 (we have 10x12 or something in my house being used for drywall replacement) would be 20 or so. I will be using the scrap foam pieces for my next balsa build, for wing fillets, and other places. The paper comes off easily, and as it is thick, I'll be slicing it, but I haven't really checked the strength of the foam itself, or weight. It looks like a nice beefy foam and seems quite light even with the paper still on it.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Depron is not cheap here in Latvia ... which is daft at there is a factory here producing the stuff. Proper stuff under direct licence.

But you cannot buy direct - we have to buy via a Model Shop ...

We also have a supply of another board .. 5.5mm and 3mm ... designed for laying on floors before laminates / Parquee ... it's about 1/4 the price for 2x the amount !! But sheets are smaller.

But Depron is the definite winner as the other board is brittle. It''s best at making formers / ribs as it supports well. But for long lengths such as fuselage or wings - it's not so good as Depron.

Here if you look closely .. you can see the 'other side' .. it's smooth on one side but other has the grooves that are parallel at 2mm intervals.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft