Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default Connector Adapters

Not owning a soldering iron and not wanting to own a separate parallel charge board for each connector type (I have an EC3 parallel board)---Is there any downside to simply using commercial adapters to charge non-EC3 (XT60 for example) batteries on the EC3 board? Also, what is the thinking on using adapters inside the plane to connect battery to ESC? Thanks. Gary
Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The only down side when charging is the added potential failure points... with extremely low failure rate.

I use adapters all the time.
I tend to make my own adapters but using commercially made ones shouldn't be an issue.

Eventually you may want to buy a soldering iron. They are relatively cheap and come in handy.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
garyp1029

Friends: (0)

Thanks fhhuber. What do you think of the second part of my question---using adapters inside the plane to connect a deans plug to an xt60 battery? Is this simply adding to the possibility of a bad connection? Also, what wattage soldering iron is necessary to do this type of electrical soldering?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I have both Deans and XT60 fitted gear / batterys ... and think nothing of using either with either. As long as the adaptor makes good contact and not loose ... it's fine.
I would avoid such on a very high AMP demand installation though ... but usual sunday sport stuff of the up to 30 .. 40A variety should not be a problem.

Soldering iron ... a standard 40W or higher domestic iron with a choice of pointed and flat spade end tip.
A small soldering station of Iron, stand and wipe mat can be bought at local Radio Shack and similar for small money. Add in a roll of standard ROSIN solder and away you go.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Using the adapters inside the airplane works fine too. There is a SMALL added resistance because of the extra connections. You'd have to do careful testing with a wattmeter and motor test stand to see the power difference.

I have a deans to 4mm bullet adapter in my big EDF. The EDF came with Deans (for a motor expecting 100 amps continuous...) Changing that connector would have voided the warranty on a 1400 EDF unit. (yes, I called BVM and asked)

I went with a 100 watt high temp iron so I can solder large gauge wire fast. The 40 watt irons take a while (never hot enough if using lead-free) when working with 8 gauge.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Using the adapters inside the airplane works fine too. There is a SMALL added resistance because of the extra connections. You'd have to do careful testing with a wattmeter and motor test stand to see the power difference.

I have a deans to 4mm bullet adapter in my big EDF. The EDF came with Deans (for a motor expecting 100 amps continuous...) Changing that connector would have voided the warranty on a 1400 EDF unit. (yes, I called BVM and asked)

I went with a 100 watt high temp iron so I can solder large gauge wire fast. The 40 watt irons take a while (never hot enough if using lead-free) when working with 8 gauge.
If anyone is looking for a quality, temperature regulated 100 Watt Soldering iron, this one fills the bill.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59884
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...6A2dJQAvdlI%3d

And, for soldering smaller stuff like balance cables and so on, I've picked up one of these. This unit works extremely well.
http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-P...fo/19032%20TL/

Stay away from those 100 Watt Soldering "guns" though. Trying to solder #8 wire with one of these could be a lesson in frustration. These type soldering guns have two temperatures. Way to hot when not soldering anything. And, way to cold when soldering heavy conductors like #12 or so. I've measured over 1000 degrees F on one of my soldering guns 30 seconds after pulling the trigger.

IMHO, NOT a good choice
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=13040715

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I make/use adapters all the time for use in my planes. I've never had an issue.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I make/use adapters all the time for use in my planes. I've never had an issue.
Adapters aren't really a problem. Unless when you've got several inside a model, and you run out of room for the wiring

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I think I have every possible two-way adaptor config. Use them all the time. No issues. I'd be at a loss without them. And my paraboard for my I-charger can handle ec3, xt-60 or deans.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

For the price of several connectors, you could.buy another.charging board....

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions