Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Default $100 Twin Build Contest XF5U

Well, I said I'd start my thread when the foam arrives, so here it is. I'm building it from Andy Reynolds plans from the AMA Park Pilot magazine. Flat foam, twin Suppo 2208-14 1450kva motors swinging counter-rotating GWS 7x3.5.3 props, 20 amp ESC's, 3S 2200 battery. The plans don't include them, but I may add working rudders and a tail wheel.

Hope to get started soon. Been busier than a one-armed paper hanger this week, and this weekend is kinda booked, too.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I'm really starting to consider that my choice of Tu144 may not be weird or interesting enough !!

This is some machine ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'm really starting to consider that my choice of Tu144 may not be weird or interesting enough !!

Nigel
Are you kidding?! Through my many excessive hours of Internet browsing, I've never seen an rc Tu-144. Granted, it's similar to the Concorde, but I think it would be fantastic! Actually, I'd love to one day build your same Concorde and Tu-144. Definitely some bucket-list planes! So is the XF5U. That's why I'm pushing myself to enter this contest.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Are you kidding?! Through my many excessive hours of Internet browsing, I've never seen an rc Tu-144. Granted, it's similar to the Concorde, but I think it would be fantastic! Actually, I'd love to one day build your same Concorde and Tu-144. Definitely some bucket-list planes! So is the XF5U. That's why I'm pushing myself to enter this contest.
Gee .. tks ...

But the Concorde is actually easy .. DEG and I ironed out the difficulties to create a model that is really a flat square job with a flat plate wing.
All the CoG work is now sorted .. so it's a BnP job now ! Build n' Play !

It's why I like the Scratch section .. so many models shown .. read the text .. get the data so it flies.

Trouble is most time - for some reason I keep NOT building what people post .. so I end up in the R&D stage of a model ...

Silly me !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Nigel

Ahhhhhhhhh Nigel,

The Tu144 will be most interesting and a great follow up to your Concorde.

Now as for the plane I have on my drawing board now, it really isn't weird, just plain vanilla twin sea-plane, but it's been very interesting to me as I worked through all the problems as much as I could in the drawing. I selected this one when the talk was about having a build that could fly off water and land....now, the take-off requirement got dropped but I'll build it anyway but probably not for the contest.

Good luck on the XF5U Xman...I'm sure you'll have fun with it....
Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Subscribed!

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,049 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (309)

Well, I said I'd start my thread when the foam arrives, so here it is. I'm building it from Andy Reynolds plans from the AMA Park Pilot magazine. Flat foam, twin Suppo 2208-14 1450kva motors swinging counter-rotating GWS 7x3.5.3 props, 20 amp ESC's, 3S 2200 battery. The plans don't include them, but I may add working rudders and a tail wheel.

Hope to get started soon. Been busier than a one-armed paper hanger this week, and this weekend is kinda booked, too.
That will be a neet build here is some information on how to add differential trust for steering if your interested, Take care, Chellie

http:/www.speedwing.net/minitwin_250_assembly_instructions.pdf

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks, Chellie. Yes, I'm considering diff thrust also. Actually, that's more definite than rudders. I'd like both to have more stuff to play with and see what she can do! Thanks for the article, too. But I'm afraid it kind of leaves me more confused. It can't be too hard. I printed the appropriate page from there anyway. Maybe it'll sink in later!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Thanks, Chellie. Yes, I'm considering diff thrust also. Actually, that's more definite than rudders. I'd like both to have more stuff to play with and see what she can do! Thanks for the article, too. But I'm afraid it kind of leaves me more confused. It can't be too hard. I printed the appropriate page from there anyway. Maybe it'll sink in later!
to keep it simple, you can use a simple v tail mixer with the ESCs, and you dont need to use the computer mixing on your transmitter, I like KISS

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
to keep it simple, you can use a simple v tail mixer with the ESCs, and you dont need to use the computer mixing on your transmitter, I like KISS
mmmm why didn't I think of that !!

I knew there must be a use for those gizmo's ...

Nigel

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
One does not Pre-order a second generation DX-18 and then NOT use the computer mixing.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Make sure it's like how the real thing was, and needs a wrecking ball to destroy it.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Lol! How true! And I think it should be possible with the DX8 as well.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, printed the plans, taped together, got my scissors and exacto knife and voila! I have a paper airplane!

Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Paper plane.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	175515

Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Differential thrust is very easy to do with any computer radio. The computer radios were developed partly to eliminate the need for the little mixing devices or mechanical mixing.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Diff Thrust with a V Tail Mixer

hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kZV3eK.png
Views:	240
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	175516

Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #17
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Friend of mine cuts the mini twin gremlin with differential thrust programed into the rudder. What a spin this has I have seen him do this in person really fun to watch when he does it. Here is a link to the video he made.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://youtu.be/n4QXOPRaY9s
Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I just got around to seeing your video, gramps. Pretty cool! Yeah, I definitely want to find out what unique things this plane will do. I have a PZ micro Stryker that'll do that trick, but it's a single pusher and does it power off, so it isn't as impressive without the motor sound.

In other news, I finally got all the foam cut out! And I'll bet everyone thought only fhhuber was making progress with his Batplane! Though I can see that someone with the experience, supplies, and place for building should knock a plane like this out in a couple of days.

Next stop, LHS for the balsa, carbon rods, etc.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I just got around to seeing your video, gramps. Pretty cool! Yeah, I definitely want to find out what unique things this plane will do. I have a PZ micro Stryker that'll do that trick, but it's a single pusher and does it power off, so it isn't as impressive without the motor sound.

In other news, I finally got all the foam cut out! And I'll bet everyone thought only fhhuber was making progress with his Batplane! Though I can see that someone with the experience, supplies, and place for building should knock a plane like this out in a couple of days.

Next stop, LHS for the balsa, carbon rods, etc.
Glad you liked it sounds and looks even better in person. Be following along on your build I do like the unusual planes.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note a problem with the little mixer between the RX and ESCs.

You may not be able to get a low enough throttle with throttle 0 and rudder centered...

You can fix that in a computer radio's EPA/ATV and mix % functions.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Note a problem with the little mixer between the RX and ESCs.

You may not be able to get a low enough throttle with throttle 0 and rudder centered...

You can fix that in a computer radio's EPA/ATV and mix % functions.
Have no fear, I now have the ultimate power in the universe, a Dx18g2! (Angels sing! ) now I just have to figure out how to program a desirable throttle mix. I found a guys youtube video and website that showed a good way on the DX8, just have to translate if into Dx18g2 language.

First I have to get the plane built!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
fhhuber
Super Contributor

For the DX-18... plug the second throttle into any AUX. In the channel assign set that AUX to follow throttle and disable the slider/switch that is assigned to it by default. Then program 2 Pmixes, Rudder to normal throttle channel and rudder to the AUX at +/- 50% and put it on a switch. (in case you want to turn it off in flight) You'll find that the mixes work pretty well at that point.

Fine tune the percentages from there to suit your plane.

Exact mix plan I a using on a Dynam DC-3 for differential thrust when taxiing. It allows me to pivot around one main wheel.
I have good throttle control through the full range with the mix on and can fly that way but throttle for yaw in flight on my model isn't a good plan. Thrust lines are wrong for it to be helpful. (I tried to do the 540 pinwheel at top of stall turn and it wouldn't even do a normal stall turn with differential thrust active)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #23
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, a month later and I've been busy with the glue.

Name:	XF5U 06-22-2014.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	176211

Slowly but surely... I've learned to use a new x-acto blade when cutting foam, and to not forget to put wax paper under my work when glueing. You can see I cut out the rudders, and I'll be fabricating some interesting pushrods and thingies to use one servo for the rudders and tail wheel steering.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
pval3

Friends: (0)
Default entries

hey all
just bookmarked the thread
only three entries?
Phil
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #25
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, I think there's Chellie's Cessna 337, Pmullen's P-61, FHuber's Batplane, Offtom's JU EF112, and my XF5U. That's five. Unfortunately, Wrongway-Feldman and Solentlife had to drop out.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft