Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
leadpan

Friends: (0)
Default Quick help! Spektrum DX5E work w/ quad?

Hi folks,
I'm building my first quad. I've order a 9 channel transmitter from China.
But my quad is ready last night and I want to test it on my Spektrum DX5E.
IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

If your quad's receiver is DSM2, then it should be possible to have basic control. If you have anything more than just basic flight functions, they probably won't work until you get your 9 channel.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Can not answer without knowing what RX is in the quad... and what mix functions, if any, are needed to run your quad's multifunction board.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

For a basic flight controller like a KK2 then yes, five channels is enough. Assuming obviously that the quad in question uses a DSM2/DSMX compatible receiver.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
leadpan

hi,
I'm going to use OrangeRX 710 with HobbyPeople flight controller http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ller-4-6x.html

The instruction on this flight controller says I need to tune the ESC first with my transmitter then plug into flight controller?
Sorry, this is my first quad setup (i fly rc planes usually) so i'm bit unsure.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes, that sounds correct. You need to calibrate the throttle end points on the ESC's.

Directions for that should be in the ESC manual, but most often you do it by putting the Tx throttle to full, then turning on the Rx/ESC, when you get a beep close the throttle.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Remove the props. Connect the esc directly to the receiver throttle channel. Turn on radio move throttle stick to full up. Power up the esc. (prop removed only) wait for beeps. Move throttle to low stick listen for more beeps, Power down esc. Repeat this process for each esc. Then connect them back to flight controller. You can us a y connector to do two at a time. Double check everything and have a great first flight.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
leadpan

Thanks, I got the ESC calibrated.

But now I can't get the OrangeRX to bind with transmitter or could it be the transmitter is not talking with flight controller cause it needs a S-bus cable?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	175624   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	175625  
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

You have me confused now... How could you callibrate the ESC's if the Rx wasn't already bound to the Tx? And if it was bound why are you trying to do it again?

To clarify; you must bind the Tx and Rx together before you do the throttle calibration. After binding remove the bind plug.

You don't need anything plugged into the S-bus, but do double check that all plugs are plugged in the right way around.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8

In your images I think the bind plug is still in the receiver.

From the F/C 's manual you have to set the dip switches for the type of transmitter / receiver you are using. Then do a radio calibration process. Is this where you are getting stuck?

Double check all the connections and instructions. Bind the receiver again without powering up the F/C remove the bind plug and power down. Set the dip switches and make the Throttle thru rudder connections. Then power up and complete the radio calibration.

One step must be completed to start the next. The F/C has proven smarter than I am on many occasions.

Terry

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
leadpan

Default Hobby People Flight controller issue

Sorry guys, let me try explaining again.

-I did what flubber said "Connect the esc directly to the receiver throttle channel" and calibrated the ESC individually.

-Then I tried following direction from this HP manual for this flight controller. I already set the DIP switch to quad-X and for DSM2 Tx. But I can't bind at this point.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/media/upl...sers_Guide.pdf

-I've done everything up to this part of the F/C guide. It says I need to do special S-Bus something for DSM2 transmitter? (I have the Spectrum DX5E)

(from F/C guide) :
DSM2 and DSMX Receiver Binding:
If you’re using a standard or S-BUS receiver, bind your transmitter and receiver pair following
the instructions in your transmitter User’s Guide. If you’re using a DSM2 or DSMX receiver, follow
the steps below to bind the transmitter and receiver pair along with the Super Multi-Rotor Controller.
1) Connect your receiver to the DSM2/DSMX Receiver Port, then set DIP switches 3 and 4 for receiver
type Standard or S-BUS. Plug your model’s flight battery into its power adapter to power ON the
Super Multi-Rotor Controller and wait for 2 seconds, then disconnect the flight battery.
2) Set DIP switches 3 and 4 to match the receiver type you’re using (DSM2 or DSMX), then plug the
flight battery in again to power ON the Super Multi-Rotor Controller. Once your receiver’s bind LED
begins to flash, turn on your transmitter to complete the binding procedure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	175629   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	175630  
Old 05-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

You need to set the dip switched for 'standard' receiver type, not for DSM2. The reference to DSM2 and DSMX is only applicable if you are plugging a satellite type receiver direct into the flight controller (which you aren't).

Of the section you quoyed only the first sentence is applicable for you:
If you’re using a standard or S-BUS receiver, bind your transmitter and receiver pair following
the instructions in your transmitter User’s Guide.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
leadpan

OIC!
I'll try it and report back.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
leadpan

No dice.
Set DIP to "standard" and calibrated on f/c but still nothing.
The f/c is green light and seems on but no response when I throttle.
I'll take to HobbyPeople today and see what they say.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by leadpan View Post
No dice.
Set DIP to "standard" and calibrated on f/c but still nothing.
The f/c is green light and seems on but no response when I throttle.
I'll take to HobbyPeople today and see what they say.
Follow these steps:
  1. Remove the flight controller and bind the Rx to the Tx as per the Spektrum instructions. You should see the light on the Rx turn solid when bind is achieved. Remove bind plug after binding.
  2. Do callibration of ESC's as per previous instructions with ESC's connected direct to Rx (flight controller still removed)
  3. Test that system is working by test running the motors and ESC's one at a time connected direct to Rx throttle channel and with props removed (flight controller still removed).
  4. Double check that dip switches are correctly set for 'standard' receiver and connect up flight controller double checking connectors are all in the right place and not plugged in upside down. (Do not re-bind and do not re-calibrate).
Flight controller should now operate. Most flight controllers have an arming procedure that you need to follow in order to power up the motors, if so this should be in the manual.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

leadpan....try what JPL suggested, again.......

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Follow these steps:
  1. Remove the flight controller and bind the Rx to the Tx as per the Spektrum instructions. You should see the light on the Rx turn solid when bind is achieved. Remove bind plug after binding.
  2. Do callibration of ESC's as per previous instructions with ESC's connected direct to Rx (flight controller still removed)
  3. Test that system is working by test running the motors and ESC's one at a time connected direct to Rx throttle channel and with props removed (flight controller still removed).
  4. Double check that dip switches are correctly set for 'standard' receiver and connect up flight controller double checking connectors are all in the right place and not plugged in upside down. (Do not re-bind and do not re-calibrate).
Flight controller should now operate. Most flight controllers have an arming procedure that you need to follow in order to power up the motors, if so this should be in the manual.
At "throttle" start-up......all rotors should be turning at approximately the same speed....two front turning in the same direction, opposite of the two rear.......the only time the rotor speeds should deviate is when you either yaw or turn during (position) rotation.....there can be a speed difference, between the front and rear rotors, when forward or reverse direction is engaged as well.

As mentioned previously, each ESC should (must) be calibrated seperately in order to insure duplication is not carried over from one to the other....(even though you may find the settings, in pairs, to require like settings)........make sure you have not (if applicable) changed any of the Transmitter values related to stick functions (all controls, except the throttle), should be centered and balanced, or have armed the ESC's in different sets of protocol.

I doubt the rotor blades are causing the issue, if you have installed them in the proper order (as indicated by the manufacture manual) and with any stamped ID's on the blades visually facing up.

Hope this helps a little...!

AMA 928214
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
leadpan

Update:

I went two different local hobby store; they could not figure out.
The guy at HobbyPeople have not built one yet so he didn't know.
Both store thought the OrangeRX R710 was probably the culprit.
I took my quad home and re-ran the steps in the manual on a 3 different receivers.
-Sprectrum Eflite Rx
-OrangeRX 615
-LemonRX

It worked on the Sprectrum RX then on the OrangeRX 615!
Then I tried LemonRX and it STOPPED working again!
I put back Spectrum RX then OrangeRX 615 again; no dice.

Clearly getting frustrated at this flight controller from HP.
It's late so will try again tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by leadpan View Post
Update:

I went two different local hobby store; they could not figure out.
The guy at HobbyPeople have not built one yet so he didn't know.
Both store thought the OrangeRX R710 was probably the culprit.
I took my quad home and re-ran the steps in the manual on a 3 different receivers.
-Sprectrum Eflite Rx
-OrangeRX 615
-LemonRX

It worked on the Sprectrum RX then on the OrangeRX 615!
Then I tried LemonRX and it STOPPED working again!
I put back Spectrum RX then OrangeRX 615 again; no dice.

Clearly getting frustrated at this flight controller from HP.
It's late so will try again tomorrow.
To reduce the frustration, first find out from HP (although, I never buy anything but batteries from them)......what the manufacture states are compatible control board systems......you may find there are a few that are.....Also, consider calling a few other LHS's like Hobby World, if one is near by, I've found they employ guys who have ton's of experience or are able to refer you to a good source for info.

Then take a look at this link....it's well done and is updated:

http://oddcopter.com/flight-controllers/

Compare those on the above list.......and replace the HP module with a better system.....make sure, if you intend to use something other than a Spektrum TX/RX, that what you replace is also compatible.

I think I mentioned previuosly:

"Never go with "low-budget" electronics......the frustrations you will experience trying do dial in the various aspects of the OS and telemetry (especially for a novice) can be a "deal breaker" if you do not have a buddy or club member walk you through such......do not rely on the forums to get you very far quickly!"

Flubber, knows his stuff and is very experienced with less expensive sytems like those sold by Hobby King....Multiwii, arduino, and the multiwii GUI, KK2.0........although most of those are PC programmed, have a more complicated learning curve to dial-in and require firmware updates .......I'm more familiar with NAZA, but it's pricey.

Try to stay patient and positive.......determination will overcome frustration.......

AMA 928214
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just make sure the Rx is bound to the Tx prior to connecting the flight controller.

The various receivers are probably different protocols (DSM2 vs DSMX) which would explain your problems. Try re-binding to the OrangeRx 615 or eFlite Rx and all should be good again.

If the Lemon is DSMX then after binding the Tx to the Lemon then the DSM2 receivers wont connect to the Tx any more as the Tx will now be in DSMX mode.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8

Oh Joy
When you say throttle what do you mean?

All the F/C need to be armed. Yours is throttle stick down and to the right for five seconds. The status light should flash green. If it does not, Try down and to the left. If it arms stop, keep the throttle down and move it to the right to disarm. Reverse the channel and start again.
If left or right do not work try lowering the throttle channel trim and arming. One of mine multis needs low trim to arm. Proceed with caution. Prop removal would be a great safety idea.

Good Luck

Terry

Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Each ESC controls power (throttle) for its associated motor.

If any ESC is not properly programmed then that motor will not respond the way you want it to.

It can be a mess trying to program all of the ESCs of a quad at one time, so what was recommended above was to disconnect the quad's multifunction mixing/gyro board and just use the TX and RX for the ESC programming.

If you follow the same steps in the same way when programming each ESC separately they they will all have the same throttle response: not moving anything except the main power stick they will all start spinning together and will all hit max power at the same time.
This makes it easier for the multifunction board to hold the quad steady in a stationary hover.

leadpan

Swapping in an RX with problems might cause you to need to redo the ESC programming and/or any programming in the multifunction board... or it could even damage the ESCs or multifunction board.
Its very hard to predict the results of attempting to use a failed RX.

Since that quad DID work with 2 RXs and won't work with the 3rd you know the 3rd failed.
I'd blame the Lemon RX (appears to be well named...) not the other stuff.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #22
leadpan

Pizzano, that's a great link for F/C comparison!
Has anyone have experience with UAVP?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #23
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

UAVP.....?

Opening another can of worms......

I'd walk before I'd run.....it's advised that incorporating UAVP must be adaptable to a "closed loop-control algorithums" platform......that said, most "higher-end" NGOS are compatible to NAZA....and requires more than a "apprentices" knowledge to confiqure and refine......but I guess if one wants to "DYI" as part of the beginning build....it would save adding to ones system later.....

AMA 928214
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #24
leadpan

3 hours trying and still nothing! GRRRR!!
I'm about to take this whole thing back to HobbyPeople.
None of my RC planes were this PROBLEMATIC!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #25
leadpan

Its working now!
I was about to give up then tried putting OrangeRX 615 once more and motors spins!

Quick observation:
I notice when motors are unlocked just 2 motors are low spinning until I give more throtle . is this normal?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors