Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Looking to build this in combo materials ..

I like both wet fuel and E powered ........... and this baby is a scaled up version of a UK classic ...

The original was based on the popular 40 sized glow ... and some people pushed them to 61's ... and obtained amazing antics out of them.

So now I am looking at mega sized ... over 70" span ... and that means mega power.

I know this is WATTflyer and E-Power based ... but bear with me ...

I want to take this plan (attached) and modify so that the model can take a big E-power system or a Gasoline set-up. To me - strength to carry such thrust is same ... (with gasoline we do have vibration as well ... but a suitable structure for any power is enough).

As you see in the plan - she's a conventional sticks and former job with partial sides ..

My idea is to create a central vertical spine in 4mm ply and then formers to create shape. The fuselage form then being foam sheet curved over and fastened. The fuselage to have PVA / matt laminated over. (4mm ply as that is the thinnest available locally !). Front nose section to be a box affair allowing large LiPo or Fuel tank.

Wing to be pine spars / LE / TE with foam ribs ....

Tail parts and ailerons to be foam and strengthened with resin or PVA / Matt.

My biggest problem is lack of materials available ... I have 4mm and thicker plys, 3 + 6mm Depron. Balsa is limited and hugely expensive. I have pine available down to 10mm thickness that I can strip to required.

So my build has to be from 4mm ply, 3 + 6mm Depron and 10mm pine.

So you see my idea .. how would you use such materials ?

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Megawatt Sheet 1 - fuselage.pdf (892.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Megawatt Sheet 2 - wing.pdf (619.8 KB, 33 views)

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Replacing balsa directly with pine (sometimes sanded a bit thinner) was common in WWII. Pine is in between balsa and spruce for weight but closer to balsa for strength.

The foam ribs should be fine. 3mm Depron will be stronger than a 1/16 soft balsa rib.

I don't see any major problems making it work out with your available materials.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

My 53" biplane has replacement foam ribs in it after the smash vertically into tarmac ! So I know they work fine.

My main concern is the use of the 4mm ply which is not light-weight. It will mean plenty of lightening holes in it ..

I'm thinking that I might try creating two sides in it .. with plenty of lightening holes - it may just reduce the weight enough ...

Block foam to create the turtle-decks will be light as well.

I have a 4850 '60' Propdrive motor ... that came out of the 1680mm Cessna - so that should on 5S be enough .. it can run 6S so maybe doubled up 3S will be the deal. I have to admit though - my RCGF 15cc Gasoline motor keeps popping into mind !! I do apologise..

The model is quite a performer in it's original 52" size with a 40 - 50 motor in it ... Typical of the Chris Foss hangar ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
My 53" biplane has replacement foam ribs in it after the smash vertically into tarmac ! So I know they work fine.

My main concern is the use of the 4mm ply which is not light-weight. It will mean plenty of lightening holes in it ..

I'm thinking that I might try creating two sides in it .. with plenty of lightening holes - it may just reduce the weight enough ...

Block foam to create the turtle-decks will be light as well.

I have a 4850 '60' Propdrive motor ... that came out of the 1680mm Cessna - so that should on 5S be enough .. it can run 6S so maybe doubled up 3S will be the deal. I have to admit though - my RCGF 15cc Gasoline motor keeps popping into mind !! I do apologise..

The model is quite a performer in it's original 52" size with a 40 - 50 motor in it ... Typical of the Chris Foss hangar ...

Nigel
I don't know if balsa is any cheaper in your area if purchased in larger block sizes. I've got a bandsaw that has been used to cut balsa sheets from a "2X4" inch block of balsa a few feet long. A bit of sanding with a block sander, and it's ready to use. It's a lot less work to just buy balsa sheeting though.

http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/98.htm
http://www.specializedbalsa.com/prod...lsa_blocks.php

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I don't know if balsa is any cheaper in your area if purchased in larger block sizes. I've got a bandsaw that has been used to cut balsa sheets from a "2X4" inch block of balsa a few feet long. A bit of sanding with a block sander, and it's ready to use.
Google balsa in Latvia ............. if you find any - you'll need Valium !!

Even when you do find it - the sizes are just not there. I don't know where they get their ideas from but the balsa is just not sized for general aeromodelling.

I can strip wood also ... I have a bench saw that will cut up to about same ... worth it's weight in gold for spars etc.

Nigel

Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Looks like a good design, I have a similar plane I had forgotten about until I saw your idea. Now I will have to get it down from the garage attic. Thanks for reminding me.

Years ago, a friend of ours, took his large commercial fishing boat to some place in Alaska. But he had too large a hold for the fish he would catch. They made him build a bulkhead inside it to reduce the size.

He built the bulkhead out of BALSA ! He gave some of it to us when he was done with that area. I have 4 x 6 and other sizes of balsa up to 72" long. It is not contest grade and there are some knots (hard as rock) but a lot of it is usable for many things. Maybe the spars for a plane like this.

Please send pictures as you build.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

At present I'm stuck in Crimea ... but as soon as I get out of here and back home I have a few projects :

Tu144 for twin build contest

Foamboard Delta

Vertiplane

and of course this baby ....

Here's a picky of the original factory Chris Foss job it's based on attached...

Nigel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acro-wot.png
Views:	22
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	175906  

Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Nigel,

Took a look at the plans you posted and am working on applying your available materials to these plans. Not much done yet, but will keep in touch....

Don
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Cheers ...

Not quite sure whether I will go for ply sides and formers or a central spine ...

Whichever it is will have hole-saw lightening holes made anyway ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft