Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
GoneFlyin74

Friends: (0)
Default Torque Revolution 4016-500 and Castle Phoenix Edge

Good Evening,

Yesterday I finally got my Castle Creation Edge and Torque Revolution 4016-500 hooked up. Everything seemed to be going well. When I was testing it, when stopping it would slow down and then suddenly stop. I checked to make sure braking wasn't on and it wasn't. Didn't really worry about it too much as it was not a big issue. I put everything back together and was fine tuning everything when it all went bad. The volume on the speed control was extremely limited and I get the error code failed to start. I have an external BEC and that is working fine so it is probably not the battery. I tried a couple other batteries with the same results. The ESC and Motor are brand new. I do not have a spare ESC or motor to test it with to see if it is an issue with the ESC or motor. When the motor tries to start I hear this clicking. I also checked the log and the maximum current was 46 Amps on a 75 Amp ESC.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Check all connections to be certain they are tight, especially between the ESC and motor.

Check your bullet connectors if you are using the ones from Castle. A friend of mine had 6mm Castle bullets on a similar size motor, but when fully engaged they would turn freely and not make solid connection. We had to solder them together to stop the problem. They were OK until the last 1/16", then they would turn.

If there are any bad connections, a brushless may act like you say.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
GoneFlyin74

Does the type of solder matter? Silver vs Standard
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

True silver solder requires way too much heat for electrical work, It is usually a structural solder. I used it to solder my strut and final shaft bearing tube together on my 40 hydro.

I just use regular rosin core ( not acid! ) solder on all of my electric plane connections.
Make sure the metal is hot enough to melt the solder, and then do not allow the connection to move until it cools below the solder's melting point, or you will get what we call a cold solder joint. They don't work good and they look just kind of grey not shiny.

These motors and speed controls need perfect connections to work as they should.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

+1 on above advice. Often the problem is caused by a bad connection at one of the bullets between motor and ESC, either a dirty connector or bad solder joint.

Silver solder is only used for joining steel components where high strength is required. The working temperature is far too hot for electrical work, it requires a brazing torch to melt it.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
GoneFlyin74

Default Problem Solved

Thanks all,

I had a bad solder joint from the ESC to the motor. Re-soldered joint and it works like a champ.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems