Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
dereckbc

Friends: (3)
Default Foam Repair Guru's, Need Help

Crashed my EXTRA 300 into power lines, and one of the power lines cut into one wing. What is the best way to fix this??? THX

Dereck

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059[2].JPG
Views:	151
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	176347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060[1].JPG
Views:	146
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	176348  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Gorilla Glue "Dries White". It will expand and fill the gap. Then shave off excess, sand and touch up the paint.

Then... don't fly near power lines.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
dereckbc

I have Gorilla Glue I use for wood working. Will it fill a gap that big? Or should I mix in some foam with it to make a paste?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

That sounds like wood glue, not just standard gorilla glue. Gorilla glue should be viscous enough to fill in well.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Crashed my EXTRA 300 into power lines, and one of the power lines cut into one wing. What is the best way to fix this??? THX

Dereck
Check out Red Devil Onetime Lightweight Spackling, available at your local hardware store. A one pint container only weighs about 6 ounces or so. This stuff has little mechanical strength, but is excellent for filling holes and dents, especially in foam areas. The spackling has the consistency real thin peanut butter. It stays exactly how you put it on, and doesn't sag.

Just wet your finger, and very slightly moisten the area to be patched up. Then build up this spackling with perhaps no more than a 1/4 inch or so at a time. Doing that, you can fill some pretty big holes or dents. Make the final application higher than the surrounding area, since this spackling is very easy to sand.

I've even toughened very small areas up a bit with a drop or three of CA, but try that trick on scrap material first. And, give it 24 hours to dry first.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Gorilla Dries White

Try that stuff.

Not Gorilla Wood Glue
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
dereckbc

This is what I have. It dries yellow, but note the label Bonds Wood, Stone, Metal, FOAM, Glass & More. It just dries yellow and is very thick viscous stuff.
Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063[1].JPG
Views:	63
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	176349  
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
This is what I have. It dries yellow, but note the label Bonds Wood, Stone, Metal, FOAM, Glass & More. It just dries yellow and is very thick viscous stuff.
It would hold, but wood glue dries rock solid. Foam isn't stiff like wood glue, so that could lead to further damage for it creates a stress point. Plus it dries an ugly yellow. You want a glue that holds but is somewhat flexible.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Local Home Depot / B&Q / Lowes / Maijas Damas ... that now covers USA .. UK and Latvia ...

They have POLYURETHANE wood glue. It is the same as Gorilla Glue ... comes in both forms ........ Interior (White) and Exterior (Brown).

For the wing-ding of OP ... as said - white GG .. or I would say .. White PU glue from DIY store at 1/4 price and 3x the quantity.

Simple ... very light spray of water .. more a mist ... then squirt some PU in there ... let it expand - it has an incredible expansion coefficient ... leave it for 1/2 day ... then sharp knife ... carve excess away. Leave it overnight ... then sand and paint.

If the ding is bigger - then cut a piece of foam to fit ... usually I would cut out a square or straight so the repair piece going in fairs in nice ... PU glue it in .. cut / sand .. paint.

Don't use CA .. Epoxy or standard PVA wood glue. These leave hard glue lines that you will have great difficulty smoothing out.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!

Carefull using the expanding glue, I used it on a fuse once, it pushed the foam apart then hardened. Make sure you use tape or something to keep the wing braced in the shape you want.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
It would hold, but wood glue dries rock solid. Foam isn't stiff like wood glue, so that could lead to further damage for it creates a stress point. Plus it dries an ugly yellow. You want a glue that holds but is somewhat flexible.
Piper - the Wood Glue he showed is Gorilla Glue Exterior .......... the brown version. It is not the PVA or Gut Glue that dries rock solid. In fact PVA is a flexible glue for wood structures and my preferred for balsa etc.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The yellow foaming Gorila glue will work but not as nicely as the "Dries White"

Before the white, quick drying version came out I used to recommend mixing 4 parts of the Gorilla foaming polyurethane with 1 part Elmer's School Glue to make a faster setting more actively foaming filler-glue. to deal with missing chunks in foam models. Without adding water the older version does not foam up as well.
Just adding water, the water tended to separate, the white glue mixes with the poly glue very well and does not separate.
This can expand a surprising amount... but unlike expanding foam insulation in a can it does not expand with enough pressure to blow apart a fuselage if you fill a typical balsa-wood box fuselage with the mix.

I've done a lot of experimenting with glues and fillers for all sorts of purposes...
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Abuelo

Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl

+1 on the Gorilla White Glue. Huber's got you covered.

If you want a more paste-like, or if you want something lighter than just the glue, try Durham's Water Putty (red, white, and yellow round can) and small amount of water mixed into the glue. Not a lot of working time as the water is there at the get-go but if you can enclose the repair with tape it will work well.

What will also work well is Gorilla White Glue mixed into diatomaceous earth. DE is available either as a pesticide or as swimming pool filter medium and is light and white. I've mixed them up for fillets then sanded to shape but this leaves a slightly rough surface. Just don't get the DE into your eyes as it is crushed shells of calcium carbonate.; insects will ingest and have their innards shredded.

Silence is often misunderstood, but it is never misquoted.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #14
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So it would work well then. I've never used the gorilla wood glue myself, but drying yellow I just thought wood glue. Why do you prefer the PVA glue, does it hold as well as wood glue.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So it would work well then. I've never used the gorilla wood glue myself, but drying yellow I just thought wood glue. Why do you prefer the PVA glue, does it hold as well as wood glue.
Hi Piper ...

GG / PU is actually primarily Wood Glue.

I prefer PVA for wood models because of the flexibility of the glue. Epoxy is heavy and adds weight .. plus it's rock hard.
CA is the Devils tool and in my view not for general wood building - it creates hard stress points.

Lets be honest - most people are looking for a fast joint .. so they grab the CA or 5 min epoxy ....... but they ignore the consequences.

Take two pieces of spar .. overlap the joint and zap it with CA. watch the CA soak in and spread ... the bloom spreading out from the joint. Now bend it and see where it breaks. Usually right at the end of the CA with no give in the joint at all as it bends.

Now do same with PVA .......... the joint will give and spar will bend before breaking.

PVA also creates a vibration / sound damper .. the glue being non-solid is like adding a bit of foam in the joint. CA and so on - carries the sound vibes through the structure ... but PVA literally softens it and reduces it.

I have built many models with CA ... the old Pilot kits were so good on Die-cutting - you could literally slot together in hand and zap with CA ... But I always paid a price later when I crashed or dinged the model.

I never use any CA on any foam model ... foam safe or not. PVA also is not suitable for foam models ..

I guess it's old school vs new !!

Nigel

Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Can't stand CA myself. I had to use the stuff liberally for gluing of tires on rc cars, after most manufacturers became cheap and decided to get rid of beadlocks (they say it is weight, but my one rc car actually came with beadlocks and has no issues going over any highway speed limit here). It is that fast bond that I hate; something isn't aligned...well it's gonna stay that way. I have never used it for any builds, or on my foam planes, Uhu Por and now Canopy Glue is what I fix the foam with. Uhu Por works very well, but has a habit is being stringy and I find it can give white foam a yellow tinge as well as attracts dust easily. Uhu Pop, however, has a nice flexible hold. Canopy Glue has an even better hold, still very flexible, but it is runny. If filling in a dent, it does work well, as it has a high enough surface tension to hold a small amount. For breaks where the pieces are intact, it will repair with no sign of damage overall, other than say surface paint layers on the foam itself.

For balsa, I see why it would be good to have some flex I suppose, but I feel the idea is to build a model with as little flex as possible.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Depends on the purpose of the model... and the type of joint being made. Sometimes you want a very stiff aircraft and sometimes flexibility is a good thing.

Sometimes you want one part of the aircraft extremely rigid and another part to be flexible...

This is why I will often use up to 10 different glues (white "school" glue, Alphatic resin, thin/med/thick CA, PU, assorted epoxies, contact cements and even Ambroid ) in one wooden framed model. Each joint gets the right glue for the loads that it will have to handle.

EPO foam models demand their own particular list of appropriate glues... Other foams may use some of the same glues and may be destroyed by a glue that is just fine for EPO.

The right glue for the right job gets you the best strength for the least weight.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

True ... right glue for job ...

Problem is with todays generation - the CA disease has taken hold.

One of the old ways which has many of todays new modellers surprised is the use of the old Contact Adhesive in wood models ..........

When fitting doublers to fuselage sides - Contact Glue was the best and preferred glue ... because it allowed the fuselage side to bend to required shape and still hold the doublers secure.

My use of PVA is even in those models that require more stiffness ......... why ? Crash one and see !!

Nigel

Old 07-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I find the titebond wood glue that dries clear works well. It seems a little more rubbery to the touch when it's dry compared to yellow wood glue.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I find the titebond wood glue that dries clear works well. It seems a little more rubbery to the touch when it's dry compared to yellow wood glue.
+1 on Titebond. 90 percent of my models are glued with this stuff.

Some years ago I ran tests with CA and titebond. It turned out after the titebond had dried tight bond was lighter in weight.

Do be careful with yellow glues and foam though. These yellow glues require air to dry and they may never dry inside a foam airplane part.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
RayDF

Club: Vista View Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Acrylic paint good for E-flite "Z-Foam"?

I wonder if you think that acrylic paint (water-based) would be good for painting the Z-Foam used in the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e? I happen to have a tube of such paint from my wife's painting classes, and it's the right yellow color (for the underside of the wing, so it's easier to spot from the ground.)

Thanks!

Ray
Miami, FL
Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
fhhuber
Super Contributor

It will work but you'd need to use an airbrush in order to apply it thin enough to keep weight down.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
RayDF

Club: Vista View Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Would Krylon "Fusion for Plastic" work?

Thanks! Do you think that the spray paint Krylon "Fusion for Plastic" (http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/) should work well on the Apprentice's "Z-Foam"? If not, what other Krylon spray paint type should work well? (Sorry to bother you all with the basic questions but I don't want to mess up the airplane!)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
It will work but you'd need to use an airbrush in order to apply it thin enough to keep weight down.

Ray
Miami, FL
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #24
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

What I do with dents in planes like my UMX SBach is fill in area with glue, and it fills in dent without any sanding or very little sanding. I then used a black gel pen, or a pen that has liquidy ink and colored the glue. Luckily dents were black so color matching was easy enough. If you can find an assortment of gel pens you may find a color close to what you need. The ink will add no weight.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Nope!!! No Kylon Fusion. It eats foam. It has damaged my Pitts slightly, I used a paint brush to touch it up and it at the foam slightly. IF you were to spray it on it would eat it no doubt.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners