Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)
Default Micro in-door tow line sailplane?

On of the guys in our club came up with a proposal for our indoor flying season. We typically fly once a month in the winter at a local church's gym.

His idea is to build and fly tow-line launched, micro sailplanes indoors. It sounds like a hoot to me!

Initially, a couple of the guys wanted to limit the wing span to 18". Then they upped it to 24". However, I pointed out that making things smaller is exactly the opposite of what you want to do if you want slow flight.

For sailplanes especially, wing span is your best friend. Wing loading is a distant second but still important. Its also much easier to get the span loading down if you build larger rather than smaller. Below a certain size, you start to need super light weight gear to make it workable. Ive found its much easier (and cheaper!) to use normal micro sized radio gear and put it in a larger foam model with as few weighty items as possible.

For launching, the options discussed were rubber band bungie, micro winch, something like the OneWinch and just pulling the string by hand as in towed launching. I thiink it would be a hoot to try to tow one up using another indoor model - like a Vapor

My plan at the moment is to shoot for something in the 60" to 79" range as far as span. It will have an under-cambered Depron wing with center dihedral and be RE only.

Even if it turns into a crash-n-burn session, it should be a hoot!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nf-EFLU1280#t2

Been done... in mass production. And much smaller than you are planning.

I'm not sure why they discontinued it. Reviews were very good.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Ive seen those in person and got to fly a couple of batteries through a friends. They fly fairly well but waaaaaay too fast for indoor in the space we have. We have roughly the space of 1/2 of a basket ball court.

Thats the problem when you scale down. The weight doesnt go down fast enough to keep the speed manageable in a very small space.

Larry
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

UM Radian is your pattern plane. Buy one and see how great they are and try to duplicate the characteristics!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Have you tried to fly one indoors? I have only watched other guys fly them, but they look to fast for indoor flying in the space we have.

We probably wont get a chance to try this until Oct/Nov. I will report back when we give it a go.

Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Larry, if that won't fly slowly enough then I'm afraid it'll be necessary to build something based on some indoor free flight gliders. That could be fun!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Pull the motor off of a Vapor and move the electronics + battery forward. Longer pushrods needed... but that should float along about as slowly as is possible.

A stock Vapor should be able to tow it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Pull the motor off of a Vapor and move the electronics + battery forward. Longer pushrods needed... but that should float along about as slowly as is possible.

A stock Vapor should be able to tow it.
That would work for sure!

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes