Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Griff Murphey

Friends: (0)
Default DCPM Pfalz XII project

Hello, I am building DPCM's 16" span Pfalz D-XII and presently have it framed up almost ready to cover. I am planning on covering with hex tissue I will print myself. Radio and power will be Flyzone micro guts from Tower hobbies, 3 ch. no aelierons.

I plan on painting mine like the one in the Australian War Memorial museum. There are a couple of others around particularly the ones at Seattle and the Musee d'Le Air. Looks like they all have light gull gray struts. Is this correct? I would have thought varnished wood.

Another question, should I try to match the patterns up on the aelierons with the wings as far as the hex camo is concerned or were they covered independently and supposed to NOT match?

Thanks for input!

Ok I got a reply from a friend who is a WW-1 researcher - he found a photo, a closeup; the struts look very metal, are held on with bolt type fittings. The photo is WW-1 and the struts are a very dark color, look black.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Griff Murphey

Default Some photos

Just installed the motor. The wing root area was supposed to be managed with ribs and formers, but I felt it would be too fragile, impossible to sheet up... so I carved it out of 1/4" balsa sheet, and hollowed the interior as much as possible. I felt the landing gear needed more support as well, by the original plan, the gear legs would simply be glued to the tissue or ribs. The landing gear will have plenty of wood to support it. One of my big lessons from flying the foam Flyzone biplanes is that the lower wings take most of the hits.

This also allowed me to recreate the slight indention of the wing root on its undersurface. The D-XII has a really interesting underbelly contour.

The Flyzone micro motor is mounted on 1/4x16" fitted basswood strips, laminated so as to form a 1/4" square right through the gearbox. I've used this on three other models, and it works great.

The cowling is easily removed for battery changes and engine repairs or changeouts. It's held on with micro magnets.

Dave Cowell of DCPM told me that this is a reissue of an original Deils kit from 1948, which may account for some of the interpretive demands on the builder.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	176776
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Griff Murphey

Default Wing root

Here is the wing root. The lower wing was strengthened with a third spar. All spars are basswood, so the three spars are engaged in the balsa wing root. I might pad them with a little silicon sealer. The photo shows the wing about it be slid into place for a test fit.

There will be a little weight penalty but I think the the strength added to the center section supporting the lower wings and landing gear will be worth it.

Dave Cowell of DCPM was kind enough to give me an extra sheet of wing ribs so I was able to replace the half ribs with full ribs, which I felt would be better support for the strut receptacles.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	17
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	176777
Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Griff Murphey

Default The airframe

Here's the pile of structure awaiting covering. The strut mounting plates are supported on both sides by good strong ribs, thanks to Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	176778
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Griff Murphey

Default Painting and about to begin assembly

Painting coming along well. I copied the one Planes of Fame has. Final assembly next.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	9
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	177064

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era