Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default HK Ask 21 spoilers installation

The HK Ask21 is a real floater and rel;uctant to land ... she just floats on by !!!

So
I decided it was time to install some HK Spoilers ... these are the scissor type with linear push / pull rod.

Servos 4.5gr Turnigy's..... slots cut for spoilers :

I did have to lift and move the decals back so I could install the spoilers immediately behind the main metal tubes in wings ... as near CoG as possible.

Simply hot glued in and taped up the 'cutouts' ...

Rigged and closed :

Popped up via the Gear switch ...

They are adjustable to pop up a little .. medium as I set or a full 40mm ...

Just one niggle - all was fine then once finished - one servo just lags a touch in reaching set open position ...

If I was installing again - I would try to use LINEAR servo mechanism - not rotary.

Will report further on these ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The HK Ask21 is a real floater and rel;uctant to land ... she just floats on by !!!

So
I decided it was time to install some HK Spoilers ... these are the scissor type with linear push / pull rod.

Servos 4.5gr Turnigy's..... slots cut for spoilers :

Nigel
Hi Nigel

If this is your first run at spoilers, just a note. DO NOT hit the spoilers when the model is 10 feet off the ground! Your model might drop like a rock. (Don't ask)

What I did was, at about 50 or 100 feet high, hit the spoilers to set up a descent rate. Use the spoiler command like a "Reverse throttle" to modulate your descent rate as required.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

They can also effect the trim a fair bit so once you try them out you might want to mix some elevator in.

PS.. too late now but usually the spoilers are positioned more outboard on the wing so that the wake they create doesn't mask the horizontal stabilizer. I appreciate that wing thickness might have prevented them going further out.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

Watching with interest as I have a few powered planes that are very clean and hate to slow down. Been wanting to try spoilers mainly to have just one more gadget to play with.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac
Friends: (2)

Thanks Nigel
Will be putting spoilers in my Sailaire. The photos helped me see what folks are talking about
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by RV Winkle View Post
Thanks Nigel
Will be putting spoilers in my Sailaire. The photos helped me see what folks are talking about
Yikes
A giant scale Sailaire WITHOUT spoilers? That must be a real SOB to land anywhere close to the pit area

For the other wattflyer readers, you just can't yank a giant Sailaire around 10 feet off the ground for another approach to the landing area.

I installed spoilers on my two giant scale 10 foot wingspan Craftaire Viking sailplanes. Those spoilers made it easy to land within a few dozen feet of where I was standing. Without them, it was a . I had those Vikings in the mid 1980's, and sold them in the mid 1990's.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Power planes that hate to slow down... first thing that comes to mind it excess prop pitch.

Calculate pitch (inches) X rpm (max throttle holding the tail on the ground) / 1000 = ? (mph)
This gives a very good estimate of how fast the prop WANTS to pull the airplane. If its about 1.2 X actual level flight @ max throttle you have a good prop choice for most purposes. If its more than 1.5 X actual level flight max then you have the wrong prop. Pylon racers can approach calculated pitch speed = actual sustained level flight speed.

Second thing you can play with is reflexing the ailerons upward as "spoilerons" This often lets you hold a more nose-up attitude without dropping a wing, presenting the bottom of the wing as a big air brake.

Wagging the rudder helps bleed speed but you can cause a snap into a spin if you get too aggressive about it.

Lots of tricks to get rid of unwanted airspeed.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Forward slip is a good one to bleed off airspeed... Again you need to be careful not to overdo it and cause a snap.

Here's an extreme example:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Well I gained height ... flipped the switch and she bled height with a nose down pitch that was without any roll or nasty vices. The decision now is whether to mix in elevator with spoilers to reduce the nose down or do it by stick.

I didn't get chance to use for landing as I mistakenly fitted a 'used lipo' instead of a charged one ! Had an unexpected 'distant' landing !

I only set the blades to raise about 35% of full ... so amazed at the effect.

Recc'd ? Yes. But I would advise using linear servos to reduce installation height.

Once I'm back flying - I will try get a video of them in action.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac
Friends: (2)

looking forward to that video

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes