Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)
Default What would be your "perfect" SCALE kit?

I have a LOT of kit built planes that I'm beyond happy with the way they fly. Am I happy with the way they look? Absolutely not. I'm one of those weirdos that loves scale but couldn't care less for warbirds (other than the P-39) or obscure planes that I've never seen in real life. Unfortunately what I don't care for is what all the kitters and bARF producers spew forth on a consistent basis ad nauseum. I want a plane that looks like what I see at my two local airports (Mesa-Falcon Field and Mesa-Gateway) and to some extent at Phoenix Sky Harbor. Scale general aviation. Unfortunately there are VERY few kits of anything that you might see on a daily basis. Want a warbird? There are hundreds, maybe thousands. Want an airplane with a French name you can't pronounce? Yep, there are a bunch of them too. Got a ton of British warbirds to keep them company as well. P-51's? I think I'm the only person in America that doesn't offer a kit of that bird. I swear I'll puke if I see yet another P-51 kit.... I can't believe people aren't tired of the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Here's what I want. Maybe one or more are out there. If you know of any of them PLEASE let me know be it kit or plans. I'd prefer 42" to 60" wingspan originally designed for electric power. If the fuselage is rounded I DON'T want the starved horse look of Tritle designs. (Sorry Pat, I have or have had a few of your kits)

1. Cessna 177 Cardinal (I had a Pilot kit back in the 80's) Maybe even a nice Cessna 172 kit.

2. Piper Tomahawk (I had a Pilot kit of this back in the early 80's too and loved it even though the tail wagged like crazy) That's why they called it the Traumahawk.

3. C-130. Too many foam kits and plans that are too big and/or the nose isn't even close to scale even on foamies. (I worked on EC-130Q's in the Navy VQ-3 NAS Agana, Guam)

4. Twin. Not picky here as long as it's G.A. scale. Cessna 310. Beechcraft Duchess etc. Any G.A. twin along these lines.

Wow. That's all I'm asking for. Nothing crazy. I just want kits of real world planes that I could possibly see flying out of a local FBO. I don't want to live in a fantasy world from WWII that 99.99999999% of R/C pilots never experienced other than the foam and plastic lump that they over paid for.

Just ranting/begging for info for the balsa planes I REALLY want to build and fly.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Joe,

Where's the Connie? I thought for sure she'd be at the top of your list!

Pat Gagnon
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Joe,

Where's the Connie? I thought for sure she'd be at the top of your list!
Pat,

I had to be realistic in my desires. Can't even get the basic stuff. Asking for a Connie would be going way to far.

Steve,

Yeah, lots of nice stuff at Manzano but most of the scale kits have that starved horse look. I don't know why I can't get past that. It just immediately turns me off.

Joe

Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
suresharp

Friends: (1)

I am the same as you. So I changed my collection with "Mr Mulligan". A race plane from the 1930. This plane is a little tricky to land but flys nice. Great planes made this a nice 59 inch wood model.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

What about the "other designers" that Manzano Laser Works sells?

http://manzanolaser.com/html/other_designers.html

There are a number of nice looking scale kits there, including a twin.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

View Capt Easy's Gallery28
Club: AMA 915618
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Mr. Mulligan

Originally Posted by suresharp View Post
I am the same as you. So I changed my collection with "Mr Mulligan". A race plane from the 1930. This plane is a little tricky to land but flys nice. Great planes made this a nice 59 inch wood model.
.....just to add a plug to the GP "Mr.Mulligan" is a fantastic airplane. very well designed and built too. I maidended mine recently and am amazed how easy it is to land despite some of the scarey video and comments. From my experience, it's very stable and lands like a like fast, maybe heavy Cub so far, always gentle and controllable.

I really delighted with the way it fly's especially throughout the approach and landing phase.

ce

hard times flushes the chumps
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

An improvement/update of Joe Saita's kit of the Me-262 using foam cores instead of built-up wing. and other mods to accommodate the higher power that tends to get put in these airplanes now. (Originally intended for .91 glow ducted fans and never updated)

Then convince Robart to update and lighten the retract set and wheels. (especially the solid hard rubber tires and heavy wheel hubs) Make them relatively slow operating electric retracts that don't all go the same speed as each other.

And make a decent cockpit kit...
Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac
Friends: (2)

Lockheed Vega done up in the Gilmore Oil Colors

Also want to see some of the actual flights and the "stunt flights" with the lion. (Born too late)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I've always liked the DHC Beaver,hence my user name.The Chipmunk is also cute,not so keen on the Super Chipmunk.
I also like twins,and practical electric power has been a huge step forward in this regard.
I do like oddball aircraft though,having built the 1/4 scale Flying Flea from RCM planes twice.I now have a plan for a smaller electric version awaiting time to build.
I'm also starting on an Airtruk:
I got the plans off ebay.
The only warbird I ever built was a Thunderbolt P47D,and I gave it away before i finished it.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
I'm also starting on an Airtruk:
I got the plans off ebay.
The only warbird I ever built was a Thunderbolt P47D,and I gave it away before i finished it.
That's the plane from Mad Max beyond Thunderdome isn't it? Now THAT'S cool! Weird but cool. Got a link to the plans?

Joe

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

here you go,Joe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tran...item2c82e6a13d

Years ago,I had some 1/4 scale plans,and there are a few videos on you tube of that model size.Can't remember where i got them though.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #12
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Have you started or are you going to start a thread on the Airtruk? I'd love to subscribe.

Joe

Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #13
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I probably won't,as this is an electric forum,and i'm going to use a .60 4 stroke engine
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
E-Challenged

You probably wouldn't want to pay price of a perfect kit, even if there was one. To get away from starved horse look, you need to inlay balsa sheet and do a lot of sanding and filling to look like sheet aluminum which generally adds weight. Wowplanes use shaped foam pieces and can be made to look like aluminum sheeted aircraft. Most aircraft constructed with tubing and covered with fabric had the starved horse look at least in the rear fuselage area. It may be that you are simply tired of model airplanes and need to take a break or learn techniques to make models of Cessna's etc., more scale-like.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

View Capt Easy's Gallery28
Club: AMA 915618
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
......It may be that you are simply tired of model airplanes and need to take a break or learn techniques to make models of Cessna's etc., more scale-like.
I think that's a consideration ....+1

hard times flushes the chumps
Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I'm not looking for a "perfect" kit per se. Just one that's perfect for my desires. Something general aviation scale from the last 40 years or so. Based on what's available in the kit market I'm definitely in the minority unless I want an ARF and I don't. I have an Ivan Pettigrew Partenavia Victor that I'm building from plans and may pull back down and finally finish. It'll have to satisfy my scale cravings for now.

Joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft