Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
xray328
Tear it up n' get a bunch

Friends: (0)
Default iCharger 106B question - 4.20 cells showing 12.81V? Also low voltage from CPU power

Hey guys, I'm new to this iCharger, but the main display shows a battery voltage of 12.81V when it's charging, even though the individual cells are showing 4.19V right now. I have it set to turn off at 12.60V, so why is the main screen showing 12.81V? I know the individual cells total is 12.57 so that makes sense, just don't understand why the displayed total voltage is so much higher.

Also, I must of missed a step in putting this CPU power supply together because the chargers indicating an input voltage of 11.80V @ 1.5A, how is it charging the battery to 12.60V with that low of an input voltage? Forgive my ignorance here.

Any idea how to read those output numbers off the power supply?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

There is voltage drop through the wires, so the voltage at the charger output will be a little higher than the voltage at the battery measured through the balance wires.

As for the power supply, you get some voltage drop through the wires there too, so the power supply might put out 12v but by the time it gets to the charger the voltage has dropped a little. also if it's a normal computer power supply the voltage does 'sag' a little under load.

The charger has the ability to step up or step down voltage, so it can quite happily take in (say) 12v and output (say) 25v.. that's perfectly normal.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers