Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #126
Gino

Friends: (0)

Interesting. As for me, a month now and I am flying casual movements now just like a real heli would. I pretty much can fly with the nose headed in its direction of flight. Haven't tried landing nose-in though. But I can bring it to a high altitude nose in hover. Just today I flew over our house and the height was such a rush. I do believe I am outgroing my yard.

I attrubute all of these to your post. It got me into getting a CP and now flying it. Thanks Ron.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #127
Radd
bald guy

yOU gUyS aRe KiLLing mE!.....THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THREAD I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME.....sheeeee heeeee.....

I've only been through part of it...but I'll try to read the rest tomorrow....

Good job Ron and guys....
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 AM   #128
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

View leapfrog's Gallery63

/me giggles...

Never lose airspeed, altitude, and ideas at the same time...
Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #129
ericroadking

Hello everone,
I just got my Blade CP Pro for Christmas & came back to this thread for the "Radd's School of Rotary Flight". The web site says that it's not available? Looks like the owner of the site let it expire. Does anyone have a copy of this manuel to post?
Thanks!
Eric
Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #130
Radd
bald guy

He'll probably get enough e-mails to clear the problem up...I think I know where they are hosted in duplicate...I'll have a look
Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #131
Radd
bald guy

this is not the same as the original website but a friend loaded them just encase of emergency....lol

http://www.btinternet.com/~bejay_uk/Raddsflyinglessons.html
Old 12-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #132
ericroadking

Radd, thank you very much! I've been flying r/c for twenty years & I'm now just stepping into the heli zone! Is this your manual? From what I have read, it looks to me like the best trainer of them all! I'm sure I'll return for some advice.
Thanks again!
Eric
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #133
ericroadking

Well, I have a few questions I could use some help with. I just got through running the 2nd battery through my Blade CP Pro using the Radd method. I have a G90 gyro installed from day one and the tail stays fairly straight. I have the training gear off as instructed and have had no incidents!

My question is, does the gyro create a level of steadiness from the get go? It seems to track really well But my trim adjustments using the 5th channel don't really seem to help. channel 5 is working because if you adjust it from one extreme to the other you can notice a difference. However minor adjustments are almost non responsive. Is this because it's not in the air hovering and just light on the skids?

Second question is when the heli gets just above the "light on the skids" point it wants to immediately tip over to the right. Am I not applying something right on the sticks to correct this. The feeling I get is exactly like it's on a bubble & falling off to the right.

Lastly, I purchased a Li-Po battery charger from FMADirect.com and it's amazing. I this it was $59 bucks and worth every dime. It balances the 3 cells while charging and I'm having no issues with heat build up on the battery packs. If you need a charger Cellpro 4S is a good choice!

Thanks in advance for any help & Happy New Year!
Eric ( the noob pilot, SOS to Radd!) lol
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 AM   #134
Radd
bald guy

I dont know about your fifth channel...someone might post in though..

the feeling that your about to tip over to the right is normal and also where the boys give up and the men take over...you must have surgical stick work to keep the skids down..too much and it stays heavy.. not enough and it dumps over...enjoy it...its very precise and challenging..you can master it...it will seperate you from a dufus stick banger or a great pilot...

Hang in there...many many have with personal rewards..
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #135
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Hehe... nice one, ericroadking... if you have the G90 configured like the manual (and you have disabled the 3-in-1 standard rate gyro - page 43 of the manual)... then the 0% to 50% range on the chan 5 knob of the TX is the "Normal" mode for the gyro... and the 50% to 100% is the heading hold (tail lock) mode for the gyro. The "normal" mode is basically what the stock gyro gives you (albeit on a bit of steroids). The heading hold mode is quite a bit different (it really locks the tail for you)... *but* if you're sticking to the Radd method (and I hope you are) it won't really matter too much... because the friction on the skids "freaks" out the G90 a bit. It is in the air you will notice a difference. My recommendation is to turn the Chan 5 knob up about 60% to 70% (10% to 20% into the HH mode) and leave it there for now. Concentrate on the practice, not on the gyro. Once you get into the hover stuff... you'll be able to play with it and see the difference.

Once you get into steady hovering... dial up the knob until the tail starts wagging... then back it off a bit. Mark that location on the knob, and check it as part of your preflight... then don't worry about it again. That will be the perfect HH setting...

Now there are personal preference issues... I tend to dial it back even more... (I prefer light HH force)... and others (like LD) prefer a higher "normal" mode gain... bu not HH mode. It'll be up to you once you start zoomin' around with it...

As for the tipping... hehe... that's normal. It's called "torque", and the models are set up at basically right angles (there is no adjustment for "vertical P-factor"). Like Radd says... after a while, you'll be taking off straight up... pretty much automatically countering the forces without thinking about it. But for now... keep those skids balanced! It's not easy... but I bet you can do it.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #136
ericroadking

Radd & Leapfrog,
Thank you for the advice! I will be doing bat 3 & 4 today and will update my progress. I live in a condo and have 3 floors of underground parking to use for a flying field. Kinda nice having a place to fly year round in all weather.

I will set the #5 knob 60% to 70 % and leave it there till I get confortable hovering. I have a feeling I will be redoing Radd's first couple of step a few times.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #137
ericroadking

Well, I just got finished with battery 3,4,5. The good news is the heli is still in one piece. The down side is the main blades have about 1/4" less wood on them.
- I'm getting very good at spinning up and holding the tail at half throttle or less.
- Really struggling with keeping it in the box above half throttle. Drifting and hopping all over when light on the skids.
- I did get it to hover over the box for 3 seconds. Man I suck at this. I guess I have a longer learning curve then Radd's training.
- I feel that maybe I should put the training gear on for the hover exercise? I know it dulls the responsiveness but I may need that for my ability?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Eric
Old 01-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #138
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Hehe... I remember those feelings.

NO! YOU are the pilot... NOT the heli. I have a feeling you are letting it run the show. Rein it in a bit. Don't over control... and don't get impatient.

I probably should tell you that I crashed my first heli (Blade CP Pro) quite a few times while learning... but I enjoyed the time spent rebuilding. I never cut corners, and always had a 100% flying heli while doing the *work*. And it is work. But I was not going to let a little heli beat me.

There were a few folks that just said "aw, forget the little one... move up to a bigger heli. They're easier." And you know, they are right. But I was (am) working for a goal that I set for myself. Not them. I stuck to it, and fell in love at the first full-bat hover. I bought a second Pro the very next day, and four more bats (for a total of eight bats for the two helis). I reasoned that I could swap the helis and not have to wait between flights for the motors to cool. It payed off... and I progressed at a *very* rapid rate then. But the dedication was there, and has not changed.

I have to make another confession... I never did put on the training gear when I was supposed to. I just kept flying the bats without them. I started to bling out one Pro... and it was fun and a learning experience... but it did not satisfy that "desire" that I was looking for. I did also move up to a bigger heli. Next in line was a T-Rex 450SE... and it was so easy to fly compared to the Blade it was *almost* boring. But I never shelved the Blades... my flight rotation just got easier... more helis, more time. But I gotta tell you... for the finese on the sticks... it's the Pros that were the "teachers". I finally did build a set of TG for one of my 450SAs... to teach myself nose-in... and I had a blast with it... but I eventually took them off again, and haven't put them back on. And once again, it was the Pros that *really* taught me (continue to teach me - I haven't achieved the "perfect" pirouette of a Pro yet... they still "bobble" a bit... but I'm going to get there).

There are quite a few folks on the board that can pilot the micros... and there are quite a few that gave up on them and moved up to something "easier". I wanted to be one that "could"... and pilot them well. My definition of "well" is also different from others... I'm not really into 3D (although, it *is* fun to yank and bank once in a while). I am moving into scale helis, and I want to be able to make them look real... full scale. It's a bit of a different goal from just tossing a heli about and not hitting anything, or losing parts along the way... or stressing the power systems to their max limits.

I guess what I am saying, is... find *your* goal... what you want to do with the heli. Focus on that, and keep at it. And remember... YOU'RE the boss.

[edit] BTW, I now own eight helis... and I fly them all. One thing I make sure of is that the Blades get some time *every* day... I'm almost at the point where I need to swap the main brushed 370 motor - it''l be the fourth - and the tail motor - it'll be, uh... not sure how many - on the stock Pro again... it gets more airtime simply because it is not so heavy... bling is not always good. And that is simply from wearing the danged things out... I'm also going to have to start replacing the bats soon. Four of them have over 100 cycles... three of those are "still going", but one is a bit "puffed"... I over stressed it. Just a frame of reference.

Oh... and Happy New Year![/edit]

Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #139
Gino

Hovering doesn't happen overnight. Learning is proportional to the number of flight hours. The more you do it, the more your body remembers what to do. You keep at it until moves become a natural reaction and not a conscious decision. When you have to think about a move, it is often too late. When that happens, throttle down gently and regain your composure.

Be patient and things will work out.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #140
Flyborg

Default All hail Ron

All hail Ron! This thread is so great! Hi to everyone posting here. Just a little backgroud on me. I am one of the many newbies to the heli craze. I found this site one day while trying to decide which heli would be the best to purchace for a beginner. I stumbled accros Ron's "walk through" with his blade cp and decided that the blade was the one for me. Thanks so much Ron for giving me the confidence that I needed to go it alone and train myself to pilot a micro heli. Thanks also to RADD! I purchaced a blade cp 4 months ago and have been slowly learning to fly this crazy thing. My work keeps me very busy so I do not get alot of flight time and spend alot of time just retraining myself from week to week. I went through RADD's training but I was still having trouble gaining a stable hover. So what did I do I blamed the equipment and spent many hours ensuring that everyting was set up right. I was supprised that the thing was just fine. I went through a period of frustration and made some dumb mistakes trying to force this thing to hover. Well it cost me about 6 sets of blades. I slowed down and went back to the basics. After realizing that I was over reacting and not paying attention to what the heli was realy doing. I have only hovered for only about 1/4 of a battery. I have since discovered that while I was banging the blades off of everyting in my garage I have bent the main shaft. I am now waiting for a new shaft and gear to arrive. I hope that this will help smooth things out a bit.
My question is how will a slightly bent main shaft effect the flight. Will it cause instability or just vibration? I did not notice much if any vibration with the old shaft. Also any advice is always welcome because all I know about helis I have learned from this site. Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #141
SinxarKnights

Flyborg, a bent main shaft is always bad. It will do both, introduce instability and vibration.

I own a HoneyBee CP2 and having some severe problems with the batteries and charger that came with it. BTW NEVER order from rc-expert.com. I really regret buying anything from them. They gave me a crap charger that ruined all 3 of my li-po's. It is not the esky charger, it is some piece of !%*# wall charger that drains the batteries...

HoneyBee CP2
Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #142
datamedic

Loved this thread! Searched Google, found this PDF of the RADD program:
http://www.dream-models.com/docs/FieldManual.pdf

Thanks, Ron, for a great writeup!

Bob Smallwood
Amateur Radio N3FM
Blade CP newbie, Skyartec Cessna awaiting 1st flight...
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #143
stvjeep

Default FMS Simulator - Proper stick setup for Blade CP/CP Pro

Hey all, great forum! I had a quick question...

I'm getting ready for a CP or CP Pro in four months and using the FMS simulator in conjunction with the RADD method. I'm using an X-Box 360 controller as it has two control sticks. What is the correct setup of the Left and Right stick fuctions in order to copy that of the Blade CP exactly. I want to not be totally messed up when I get the real thing by having am incorrect setup.

Currently:

Left stick: forward = nose down
back = tail down
left = rotate (spin) left
right = rotate (spin) right

Right stick: forward = heli up
back = heli down

Left/ Right Triggers = tilt left and right (I know this is wrong!)
Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #144
Revolution 3.3
I <3 my Blade 400

stv - the correct heli contoller setup for any hobby-grade heli is going to be:
Left Stick:
Up: Throttle up
Down: Throttle down
Left: Yaw left (nose of the heli rotates left
Right: Yaw right (nose of the heli rotates right

Right Stick:
Up: Nose Down
Down: Nose up
Left: Tilt left
Right: Tilt right

That's a pretty ghetto method of training, though... You should try and invest in a decent simulator that includes a controller. Your FMS rig will teach you basic movements, but your new heli will bring a new controller and feel and with it quite a bit of uncertainty...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #145
FlynHawn

Aloha from Hawaii! I'm the newbie here on this great forum. Won a Blade CX2 on ebay and I've been flying for about a week or two. Having fun learning to master hovering and other simple flight stuff. I am interested in hop-ups and upgrades for my heli. Also a better battery in the future.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters