Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
goofeyfoot

Friends: (0)
Default Slow Stick X - Should I make these mods?

Hi again:

Am building the Millenium Slow Stick X wing and tail surfaces. Bought the kit so I have some gluing to do! I saw the Millenium video and it doesn't look too bad. I like how fast that guy sands the wood!

The two things I was wondering was whether it was worthwhile to install flaperons? What do you think?

I have a seven channel radio. If you think I should do the flaperons method, what procedure would you use to install them?

Also I was considering adding some carbon to the spar. What do you think? Waste of time? Good idea? If you were going to add carbon where would you put it, and how would you go about it?

Well, thanks again gents. And if Sir Raleigh responds check out the private message I sent you about flying in Raleigh area!

Best regards, and many thanks for your collective wisdom.

Michael
Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Hi Michael,

I don't have any comments about the Millenium Slow Stick X wing since I don't have one, but I do want you to know I answered your PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

View Pudknocker71's Gallery11
Club: RCG Shady Flyers
Friends: (22)

As for flaperons...go for it....can't hurt. I just added flaperons to my stock SS. Just took a few min to figure out the radio setup. It's kinda a toy you can live without but why not. Mine will spoil too. I've played with them in the air but found no use for them....yet.

Spar....well I don't have the X stick. Seen a friend crash one with little damage. Can't hurt to add it though. Up to you.

Dan
-------
"Stop screw'in around!! Ya'll screw around way to Much!!! bub, steve"
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Liquidity
Combat Vet

View Liquidity's Gallery62
Club: Hodges Hobbies, RAA, and GAMA
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  1kW  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (26)

I have the SSX and love it.

As for your comments. I have 4 servos (2 ailerons) and have flaperons installed in it. I never use them. No need to actually. The plane slows down enough that flaperons are a mute point.

I would not waste the time to put a carbon spar in there. The wing is more than. Now if you are going to installed a Mega 3 turn on 4s, that is a different story

Have fun with it. I am going to the field now to fly mine.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things..." http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27169.html
Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
boomerace
Been there .... Done That

Here is the discription of my Slow Stick X copied from my website......
Build Description:
This a build of a ARF overpowered Slow Stick X. I am using a BP 2814-8 Brushless Motor and BP 40A Speed control for power. I will prop for first flight with a 11 X 5.5 APC E Prop using a PQ 3S 3100 12C Lipo. Bench test says 221W @ 22.4A. According to the Mfg. motor is capable of 350W so motor is just loafing at 211W.
I have built my usual version of battery tray and plywood motor mount and plane will be balanced without lipo which after balancing will be installed under wing at CG. First time using the new X - LG and it appears to be a winner. Time will tell. Please note my sophisticated bench test setup! Was surprised to find a one piece aluminum fuse in the kit as I know they are almost non existant. Found there was a 12" basswood insert preinstalled in the front of the fuse so I didn't have to do my usual reinforcing mod! I will be using 2 - HS 55 servos for the ailerons.
Reinforced center balsa sheeting and center ribs with 1/64" Aircraft Ply to allow use of more rubber bands without crushing to keep the wings on. We'll see on maiden if the wings will take the stress. The HS-55 servos used were thick CAed directly to the mounting surface after roughing up the servo sides with sandpaper. AUW is 28.2 oz which gives me 125W/lb. and anything over 100W.lb will get vertical so vertical will be quick! Don't want to increase power beyond the 211W until I see how it does. Got plenty of reserve to 350W if needed!

I decided the center spar also needed reinforcing! (see pic). Both sides are the same. I cut 2 pieces of 1/32" aircraft ply to fit against the spar inside the caps and thick CAed in place each side. I then cut another 2 - 1/32" pieces with the fuse relief cut out and thick CAed into place against the spar each side.
Pics and flight video are on the website.
www.boomerseflight.com
boomer
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
goofeyfoot

Boomer:

Which model is it as shown on your website? There were quite a few there.

Thanks.

Michael
Originally Posted by boomerace View Post
Here is the discription of my Slow Stick X copied from my website......
Build Description:
This a build of a ARF overpowered Slow Stick X. I am using a BP 2814-8 Brushless Motor and BP 40A Speed control for power. I will prop for first flight with a 11 X 5.5 APC E Prop using a PQ 3S 3100 12C Lipo. Bench test says 221W @ 22.4A. According to the Mfg. motor is capable of 350W so motor is just loafing at 211W.
I have built my usual version of battery tray and plywood motor mount and plane will be balanced without lipo which after balancing will be installed under wing at CG. First time using the new X - LG and it appears to be a winner. Time will tell. Please note my sophisticated bench test setup! Was surprised to find a one piece aluminum fuse in the kit as I know they are almost non existant. Found there was a 12" basswood insert preinstalled in the front of the fuse so I didn't have to do my usual reinforcing mod! I will be using 2 - HS 55 servos for the ailerons.
Reinforced center balsa sheeting and center ribs with 1/64" Aircraft Ply to allow use of more rubber bands without crushing to keep the wings on. We'll see on maiden if the wings will take the stress. The HS-55 servos used were thick CAed directly to the mounting surface after roughing up the servo sides with sandpaper. AUW is 28.2 oz which gives me 125W/lb. and anything over 100W.lb will get vertical so vertical will be quick! Don't want to increase power beyond the 211W until I see how it does. Got plenty of reserve to 350W if needed!
I decided the center spar also needed reinforcing! (see pic). Both sides are the same. I cut 2 pieces of 1/32" aircraft ply to fit against the spar inside the caps and thick CAed in place each side. I then cut another 2 - 1/32" pieces with the fuse relief cut out and thick CAed into place against the spar each side.
Pics and flight video are on the website.
www.boomerseflight.com
boomer
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
boomerace

Sorry Michael the files had not been transfered to the new server. I just finished the transfer.
It is at :
http://www.boomerseflight.com/present/Wild%20SSX/
Hi Res Video is at:
http://www.boomerseflight.com/videos/Wild%20SSX.wmv
I recommend you download the video to view. It is a huge file however the server has unlimited bandwidth so it is as fast as your connection will support.
boomer
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
goofeyfoot

Boomer:

Good job.

Having a little trouble interpreting the reinforcing you did.

The rear reinforcing wasn't apparent in the picture. What did you do to the rear that was different from the regular build?

The center reinforcing kind of looks like you put plywood there. But the picture looks like a solid piece of plywood in one place and looks like it has a drilled lightening hole in another. Is it solid or did you drill it out?

Also your text says that the ribs were reinforced somewhere but I couldn't see that too clearly.

The front reinforcement is a little more obvious from the pictures.

Also, I don't think you put carbon on the spars. Is that correct?

Do you think was worth the extra weight to use two servos instead of one? I'm trying to figure out which way to go. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks again for these ideas.

Michael
Old 04-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
cliffh

I have just over 50 flights on my Slow Stick X now. I built it right by the plans, with no mods. I flies great. It can slow down as much as the Slow Stick for landing, so I can see no reason for flaperons, and the added weight would not help anything.

It does great inside/outside loops and flies inverted as easily as right side up. I can't get the thing to spin though.

I wouldn't bother reinforcing anything. Keep it light and have fun.

By the way, if you want to, you can almost always land with zero ground speed, or very very close to it. The plane is off the ground by the time I get the throttle full open with a Tower Pro 2410-09Y motor.

You are going to love this plane!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
goofeyfoot

Cliffh:

Thanks for the information.

I guess I was sort of "looking down the road." Every time I build something I always later find out about someone who made it go faster, higher, or crazier. So I figured that while I was building the wing, maybe I'd beef it up a little "just in case" another mod comes to my attention later on.

But maybe what you're saying is that you can only take the wing so far, so why over-build?

A good point of view. I suppose that given the relatively low price for the wing I could always build another in the event that someone turns the plane into a space ship with some new design.

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
boomerace

Originally Posted by goofeyfoot View Post
Cliffh:

I guess I was sort of "looking down the road." Every time I build something I always later find out about someone who made it go faster, higher, or crazier. So I figured that while I was building the wing, maybe I'd beef it up a little "just in case" another mod comes to my attention later on.

But maybe what you're saying is that you can only take the wing so far, so why over-build?

A good point of view. I suppose that given the relatively low price for the wing I could always build another in the event that someone turns the plane into a space ship with some new design.

Thanks again.

Michael
Michael,
Look at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829731
boomer
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
goofeyfoot

Default A Question About Hardware

OK here's an update on the Slow Stik X.

I have the main wing almost done.

It was easy to build and I think mine came out pretty well. I haven't started the tail but it looks pretty easy to do.

I noticed that for some reason there was no hardware in the package. All I bought was the wing kit and I guess I thought there would be some hardware for control rods and such. In fact the instructions refer to those things on page two.

So anyway my questions deal with the hardware.

What did people use for control horns? What size control rods did you use?

Just one point. I think that the kit should come with control horns. The kit has pre cut slots for control horns and I think it would be better if horns came which fit the slot. Just a minor problem, though.

Michael
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
boomerace

Originally Posted by goofeyfoot View Post
OK here's an update on the Slow Stik X.

I have the main wing almost done.

It was easy to build and I think mine came out pretty well. I haven't started the tail but it looks pretty easy to do.

I noticed that for some reason there was no hardware in the package. All I bought was the wing kit and I guess I thought there would be some hardware for control rods and such. In fact the instructions refer to those things on page two.

So anyway my questions deal with the hardware.

What did people use for control horns? What size control rods did you use?

Just one point. I think that the kit should come with control horns. The kit has pre cut slots for control horns and I think it would be better if horns came which fit the slot. Just a minor problem, though.

Michael
The kit you bought just replaces your Slow Stick wing and tail feathers. The slots are made to fit the Slow Stick GWS Control horns. There are extra ones on your slow stick parts tree. The control rods are already with your stock slow kit. The write up on the vendors webste makes it very clear it's only the wing and tail feathers! Why should he furnish hardware you already have???
boomer

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers