Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
marchino61

Club: WA Radio Soarers
Friends: (0)
Default US Hobby Shops

Hello!

Does anyone buy from US shops? I have noticed that US prices can be as little as 25% of those of my local hobby shop.

I tried buying from wholesaleplanes.com but they charged me more for shipping (US$128) than the total cost of the order (US$103)! And this without warning me how much it would cost.

Maybe I should have used hobbyzone who at least give their postage charges up front even if their prices are a bit higher?

I look forward to seeing others posting their experiences here.

Mark
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Aussie E-Flite
VH 22897

View Aussie E-Flite's Gallery89
Club: Townsville Aeromodellers Society
Friends: (1)

Mark,

I have bought from United Hobbies with success. On both occasions my goods arrived as described.

I would advise signing up with PayPal to make your transactions - it makes for almost instant payment.

Delivery to Queensland was inside 9 days via the standard post option, and a postage tracking number was given also.

Your postage costs will be determined when you place an order, so there should be no suprises in that regard. Also, I use http://www.xe.com/refer/?CUS to keep me informed of the US dollar prices to know what our cost is.

I have saved some serious dollars using these services - and the products look to be OK.

I am putting together a bulk order for Li Po batteries from another supplier if you interested. Prices look very inviting. Send me an email to keith.quigg@bigpond.com if you would like an update and some prices.

Hope this helps.

Keith.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
marchino61

Default Wholesaleplanes gets worse

Keith, thanks for the info about United Hobbies. I might use them later, but for now I am flying Hobbyzone and Parkzone RTFs, which they don't seem to stock.

Wholesaleplanes not only charged me a fortune for postage, the main item I ordered - a Parkzone Spitfire fuselage - arrived with the tail bent and thus unusable. Wrapping a foam plane in bubblewrap? What sort of packing is that? Also the second box of the shipment had a damaged part.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Boomerang

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

I have bought from Tower on a few occasions. Yes, you have to do your sums or take a chance on postage rates. I have also bought from Astro Flight, very quick service there too. There are some things just not available in Oz.

I have found you can make good savings on US made gear but the cheapy asian stuff tends to be keenly priced at my LHS, Kelletts Hobbies in Liverpool, anyway. By the time you add postage the difference on some items is next to nothing & if it doesn't work or you are not happy at least you can take it back. - John.

Project Globetrotter Participant (again!)
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

There are plenty of good online dealers in Australia too!

United Hobbies works on margins of barely 10% over the basic factory cost and their business practises leave alot to be desired. Many dealers in the US have dropped large amounts of brands and stock because of UH.

Of course its everyones choice who to support, but dont expect a local industry to be around in the future. P.Daniels has dropped most of his product line because of UH, he was one of the few out there who could give excellent advice and service. I too have dropped alot of products because of UH.

What this forum needs is a sticky thread listing all the local dealers and shops, that way the local modellers can see quickly if something they need is in the country already.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
marchino61

Default Aussie Prices

I know there are plenty of hobby shops in Oz too both online and off. I have bought all my planes from them, so far.

But prices of spare parts for the Hobbyzone and Parkzone planes that I fly are astronomical here - as much as 3 or 4 times the US price. I feel that the hobby shops here are pricing on the basis that the Aussie dollar is still worth only 50 cents US.

For example - for the price of a PZ ESC/RX here, I can buy an entire PZ Spitfire built up fuselage with all electrics in the US. The motor is a third of the price here...and so on.

Once Aussie prices get realistic I will support local shops again.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
john cook

Hi guys, Let me join in!! My big beef is the US suppliers who won't sell internationally - even although they use international media such as MAN and Fly RC to publicise their products. They claim credit card risk as the reason but hey how come other suppliers manage the risk and my response is always " don't ship until you have the money in your hot little hand" I want to purchase a Phase 3 Flit (see March 2008 MAN)and a Blue Max. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Jaiwill

Default Perth Shopping

Hey Marchino,
Like you ive done a bit of looking around for online shops in perth. Just to use myself as example i was looking for lipo battery packs for my easyfly. Initial prices were $90 plus but with some looking i found a place in perth although currently out of stock for $40 postage included. While this sounds good it doesnt reflect all items, let your fingers do the walking.........http://www.rc-estore.com.au/index.php

T-Rex 450SE V2, HS 65MG
Various Foamys...(easy to fix)
DSX9, Phoenix 3.......

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia