Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #2801
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

James made a nice score at the field this mornin. Ron was fed up with his Cermark Yak 54 E not giving good flight performance and after a landing that broke out the L G mount. Said ,"here's another plane for ya James" . Thanks again Ron ,he already has it servoed up and is working on a motor install. I'll try some voo-doo to rid it of gremlins then it's fly or die. Heck if it won't behave it looks like a good prospect to copy outta foam. One thing that looks wrong is the wing chord looks a little too narrow. And the "moment"= distance between wing and horiz. stab. is too short. These design flaws make for a pitch sensitive airframe with a critical C G

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my planes 111.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	85047   Click image for larger version

Name:	my planes 112.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	85048  

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #2802
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

Nice looking Yak. Cermark has a reputation for great flying models. Too bad this one has issues- watch it end up flying like a bat out of Hell!

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #2803
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59

Voyager you must have a crystal ball. Cuz we just got back from a twilight flight with it. We taped the battery forward of the hatch between the LG ( wanted to make sure it was C G ed at 33%of mwc) and it flew like a Bat outta H---. The only issue was got it lined up on an approach and it was going plenty fast so at 15' agl I chopped throttle and it dropped to the grass with no glide slope at all. LOL So I guess it's a land at 1/3 rd throttle plane. But it flys solid. I think I'm gonna set it up for 15 degrees flaps for landing

Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #2804
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
WoHoo.... that formosa II should be a 3d champ... I already Know I'm gonna love it....LOL

Katana's gonna be very fun too.... Can't wait.... Most Katana'a are usually Pink... Plus its from Chellie... I wouldn't have minded....lol

Ps, if anyone is thinking about those $69 Yak54's from nitroplanes.... They seem to be very high quality...Plus their big.... and look like they'll work perfect on my usual turnigy 35x36x910kv outrunner, turnigy 40amp esc, and a 1500mah 4cell setup.... I can't wait to build the ones I purchased for Me and Daniel.... they look great....

also... I still have about 4-5 other ARF's In boxes just waiting to be built....

Looks like I'm gonna need to find some more room for planes...LOL

SK
You Need HELP Steve here you go

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22507

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #2805
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
James made a nice score at the field this mornin. Ron was fed up with his Cermark Yak 54 E not giving good flight performance and after a landing that broke out the L G mount. Said ,"here's another plane for ya James" . Thanks again Ron ,he already has it servoed up and is working on a motor install. I'll try some voo-doo to rid it of gremlins then it's fly or die. Heck if it won't behave it looks like a good prospect to copy outta foam. One thing that looks wrong is the wing chord looks a little too narrow. And the "moment"= distance between wing and horiz. stab. is too short. These design flaws make for a pitch sensitive airframe with a critical C G
That Kids has all the Luck Good for you James, make it a little on the nose heavy side and it should fly great for you, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #2806
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59

Tried to figure out my Eclipse 7 flaperon menue is like trying to memorize the encyclopedia , LOL I give up. Guess it'll be a fast lander.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #2807
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Steves New Scratch Built Katana

Here is your Plane Steve , How do you like Her Oh, BTW, You owe Me 2 HEX 9 gram Servos I Epoxied 2 new servos on the wing for you, just like the way I have mine set up, also on the rudder and elevator, use a piece of carbon fiber tube over the metal control rod to keep them from flexing, I had to do that to mine, Take care, Chellie

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	111 Blue katana 001_1.jpg
Views:	23140
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	85139   Click image for larger version

Name:	111 Blue katana 002_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	85140   Click image for larger version

Name:	111 Blue katana 003_1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	85141  

Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #2808
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by nascarjeffgordon24 View Post
Chellie i finally got around to ordering the parts for the delta. They should arrive in the next week.
Kewl, you will have a lot of fun with that delta, careful, its fast Take care, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgLfXZamiHw&feature=user

Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #2809
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

I have been polishing my seeing stone lately when I'm not spackling. Great to hear that about the Yak. Flaps sound like a good idea.

Voyager you must have a crystal ball. Cuz we just got back from a twilight flight with it. We taped the battery forward of the hatch between the LG ( wanted to make sure it was C G ed at 33%of mwc) and it flew like a Bat outta H---. The only issue was got it lined up on an approach and it was going plenty fast so at 15' agl I chopped throttle and it dropped to the grass with no glide slope at all. LOL So I guess it's a land at 1/3 rd throttle plane. But it flys solid. I think I'm gonna set it up for 15 degrees flaps for landing

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #2810
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Sorry I wasn't out there today to recieve my new katana... it Looks pretty Slick... I'll be out there tomorrow with the servos...

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #2811
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Sotty I wasn't out there today to recieve my new katana... it Looks pretty Slick... I'll be out there tomorrow with the servos...

SK
No problem Steve I gave the Katana to Ray, He is holding it for you, you might be able to get it back from Him I hope you enjoy it, as much as I enjoy flying mine, Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie

Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #2812
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Dang it was foggy at the fair grounds today, we had to leave by 9:00 am, because they were having a Craft show, so then I went to the JR High scool and got in another flight there, I managed to drain most of my lipos, with no crash, So I had a great day Flying, Take care, Chellie

Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #2813
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Hi Chellie,
no crashes are always a good day... Glad you and your friends had fun..
Take care..

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #2814
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hi Chellie,
no crashes are always a good day... Glad you and your friends had fun..
Take care..
Hi Bruce We always Have fun, I fly with a Great Group of people, always willing to help out, I could not ask for a better group of people to Fly with, Take care, Chellie

Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #2815
TbigD

Friends: (3)

How come Al didnt invite us to his "bar-b-que" ? , the one he had in the back of his van...Dennis
Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #2816
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59

Ok Ok Here's the skinny folks. Put a li-po on the charger that I knew had an issue ( it wasn't performing well and the balance charger shut down in 1 &1/2 min.) Rather than check it out or throw it out, I put it on a Triton II charger. And it caused a li-po fire in my van last Friday evening. "Black Friday" has a whole new meening . Fortunately I guess I discovered it and was able to extinguish it with 2 1 gal. water bottles. Needless to say the damage to the interior of the van is extensive and it damaged 4 foam planes. 2 are repairable 2 are a loss. I'll be calling my insurance carrier tomorrow and I'm hopeing I bought Comprehensive Fire and Theft coverage. I was ready to give up R/C but you guys know me better than that. Then today I had a mid-air with my little Tri-plane vs Charlies new $100 ME-109 and he was hot and upset and at first said I should replace his plane. Later he calmed down and apologized, I guess all the other flyers must have stated the general belief that mid-airs are a fact of flying really and in most instances not anybodies fault.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #2817
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59

These are pretty much history except for electronics. When a balsa and ply 30 sized warbird flys into a depron foamy the foamy disintergrates. Mark the big Tri-plane I built you is one of the ones that got burned up. Sorry dude. I don't think I've ever lost 3 planes and a van in a long weekend before

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my planes 156.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	85301   Click image for larger version

Name:	My planes #2 003   F14.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	85302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sabrinas trip to D.C. 206.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	85303  

Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #2818
TbigD

Friends: (3)

Al , i hope you didnt take my post in a bad way , i am , of course kidding , i think the reality is you were very lucky to have caught it , and in a way reminds us all what can happen , if you need a ride to get the van fixed , as of now i have no work , so give me a call...Dennis
Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #2819
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59

Thanks D I never take anything too serious. And if there is a bright side to this I hope it is that it saves this from happening to anybody else. Jay, at the field today said that they watched a vehicle burn completely up due to a li-po fire so I'm not the only DUMBBIE. Actually as far as 3 lost planes goes James was given 3 to repair this weekend so no matter what I do to em I don't seem to have any less. Tomorrow when it's daylight I'll take a few pictures and post em. I don't want to ever get lax about li-po safety again.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #2820
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TbigD View Post
How come Al didnt invite us to his "bar-b-que" ? , the one he had in the back of his van...Dennis
Hi TbigD And Welcome to Wattflyers, Lots and lots of great people here, I just wish I was One of them LOL ,Take care, Chellie

Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #2821
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Ok Ok Here's the skinny folks. Put a li-po on the charger that I knew had an issue ( it wasn't performing well and the balance charger shut down in 1 &1/2 min.) Rather than check it out or throw it out, I put it on a Triton II charger. And it caused a li-po fire in my van last Friday evening. "Black Friday" has a whole new meening . Fortunately I guess I discovered it and was able to extinguish it with 2 1 gal. water bottles. Needless to say the damage to the interior of the van is extensive and it damaged 4 foam planes. 2 are repairable 2 are a loss. I'll be calling my insurance carrier tomorrow and I'm hopeing I bought Comprehensive Fire and Theft coverage. I was ready to give up R/C but you guys know me better than that. Then today I had a mid-air with my little Tri-plane vs Charlies new $100 ME-109 and he was hot and upset and at first said I should replace his plane. Later he calmed down and apologized, I guess all the other flyers must have stated the general belief that mid-airs are a fact of flying really and in most instances not anybodies fault.
Al, Dont mess with a Know bad Lipo, Sorry to hear about the resulting fire, If a lipo starts to go bad, I have a 1157 tail light with wires and roch clips---Errrr aligator clips on the wire, and drain the lipo and recycle it after its completly drained down, sorry to hear about My Triplane going in yes, Mid airs do happen, its nobody fault, Sheet Happens Build me another triplane Take care, Chellie

Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #2822
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Hi Chellie, guess you were busy today... I didn't see ya out there....

Thanks again for the katana... it is great... really big too...lol

now I'm just trying to figure out what power I want to use... I'll prob go with 2350 4cell packs on the turnigy 35x36x910kv motor on 12x6 prop.... should be a rocket...

PS, I think You should start kit'ing these with the guy that makes the maveric.... I'm sure everyone would love to buy one....

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #2823
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

These are pretty much history except for electronics. When a balsa and ply 30 sized warbird flys into a depron foamy the foamy disintergrates. Mark the big Tri-plane I built you is one of the ones that got burned up. Sorry dude. I don't think I've ever lost 3 planes and a van in a long weekend before
Well Al, You have got some more building to do Easy Come, Easy Go, Take care, Chellie

Old 12-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #2824
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Chellie, guess you were busy today... I didn't see ya out there....

Thanks again for the katana... it is great... really big too...lol

now I'm just trying to figure out what power I want to use... I'll prob go with 2350 4cell packs on the turnigy 35x36x910kv motor on 12x6 prop.... should be a rocket...

PS, I think You should start kit'ing these with the guy that makes the maveric.... I'm sure everyone would love to buy one....

SK
Hi Steve thank you for the Complements I got up late today, I have been out Clubbing, I flew Early Saturday and pulled some all nighters, It Finally caught up with Me I am not as young as I used to be I have the same setup on my katana, but i have the 35x36x1100kv motor, I put a 11x5.5 apc prop on mine, the 12x6 wont let you hover, it just wants to keep going up my katana has a almost 2 to 1 power ratio, its 35 oz and the motor and prop , pull about 67 oz of thrust, I will get together with Rusty and see if he wants to kit my plane, Take care, Chellie

Old 12-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #2825
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Steve, put some landing gear on the katana, I used 4 of the prop adapters, 2 for each hole for spacing support on the foam fuselage, so the foam does not get squished together, then added some lite plywood on the sides, then screwed the landing gear on, the screws went through the prop spacers, then i just made a curved metal tail skid for the back, drilled two holes bigger than the wire, filled the holes with epoxy, and slid the wire into the holes, it works great, i used some lite wheels, hope that helps, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat

Tags
chino , club , fliers , renegade