Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
TexasRCFlyer

Friends: (0)
Default Houston- Scobee Field

I was flying in the Woodlands area today and for the first time ran into someone else flying electrics. He mentioned a place in North Houston called Scobee Field. Apparently it is a very large field where people head to and fly for free. I cannot find much on it on here or other forums. Anyone from the Houston area ever heard of it or know where it is?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

Hi Texas,

I'm not from Texas but my Sister and Brother-in-Law live in the Woodlands. He was telling me about a field near his house where they've been flying. I'll drop him a note and ask.

Tom

Tom
Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
TexasRCFlyer

Okay. I have been flying at the Montgomery Harris County College on 242 or the Woodlands High School. There are nice parks here to fly in but there are also a lot of soccer and football games going on. I refuse to fly when there are any children out playing so I just find myself going from field to field until I find an empty one. Any info would be great, thanks,
Brad
Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

Hey Texas,

I got a note back from my sister and she said mapquest shows Scobee Field in Downtown Houston. Say's they hold competitions there. Hope that helps.

Tom

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #5
rca

Scobee Field is part of George Bush Park, which is located in West Houston off of I-10 and Highway 6. Here's a link to the park and Scobee Field information. I'm in Sugar Land and have never been there myself.

http://www.pct3.hctx.net/PGeorge/ModelAirplaneField.htm
Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Club: AMA number is: 934723
Friends: (10)

Anyone else in the south side of town? I live near Hobby Airport and since I don't have a AMA lic. I tend to go wherever there's a empty field and test fly my foamies. I have a nice place I go to now. There's this church near Almeda rd. that was never finished. It has about 30 acres of clean tree free land, nothing but grass..

Anyone else here that does the same as I do?

I know I should just become a member of AMA but at this juncture I don't feel capable enough to fly amongst the experts I see at AMA certified fields.. and besides the good info and hints they would offer.. the other reason is shyness in my part..

Anyone else need a flying partner in the South Side of Htown?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

Originally Posted by TexasRCFlyer View Post
I was flying in the Woodlands area today and for the first time ran into someone else flying electrics. He mentioned a place in North Houston called Scobee Field. Apparently it is a very large field where people head to and fly for free. I cannot find much on it on here or other forums. Anyone from the Houston area ever heard of it or know where it is?
I would suggest you contact Kirk Massey, the owner of New Creations RC in Willis. His store is all electric and he probably knows where to fly in your area.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
richg99

TXRC ....There is a club in Willis/New Caney and Kirk can tell you all about it. Next closest one to you is Houston Sport Flyers on the North edge of Houston, near Kuykendahl and Ella. We are having a Swap meet on Feb 14..Saturday. Come on down and meet the guys....

Unfortunately, though, we are filled up with members and won't be accepting any new ones until, by attrition, we get back below the 100 member limit. regards, Rich

p.s The Woodlands could probably use a club of its own.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
MTDV

TXRC ....There is a club in Willis/New Caney and Kirk can tell you all about it. Next closest one to you is Houston Sport Flyers on the North edge of Houston, near Kuykendahl and Ella. We are having a Swap meet on Feb 14..Saturday. Come on down and meet the guys....
An address would help me to find a way to get there, please. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
MTDV

Never mind, I found your website. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
TexasRCFlyer

I was kind of getting confused on the threads.
I know the club in Willis is actually in New Waverly on IH-45 and is called Tri County Barnstormers. Great field and very nice people.

Did you find the web address of the club having a swap meet in February? I would like the link to that one, I can make that.

Thanks,

AMA #862236
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
MTDV

Here is the link to the HSF club http://www.houstonsportflyers.com/

Their map has very limited information of the club's address, but I found it on Yahoo.

If you are starting from downtown of Houston, you should go North on I-45. When you pass Beltway 8 North for about 1 mile (describe from Yahoo map), you will see on the map the Kuykendahl Roadstarts to appear on West of I-45. You can map the location from there. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
richg99

If you go to www.Mapquest.com and put in "Kuykendahl & Ella" as the intersection; Houston; TX...The map will put you about 1/4 mile South ( on Kuykendahl) of the field.

Proceeding NORTH from that intersection..you will find the field on the WEST side of Kuykendahl, just South of a subdivison of homes.

The field is way back off of the main road. It is not visible from the road. A 4 x 8 foot sign is set back twenty or so feet from the road. Hard to find...sorry. No real address was ever assigned to this leased County land. It used to be a soccer park many years ago, but it floods regularily. Rich
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
richg99

Whoops Yes the Barnstormers are near New Waverly...not New Caney.... as I originally posted. Sorry rich

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions