Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
invertedthoughts

Friends: (0)
Default I'm SO Surprised He Totalled His Plane!!

I was wrapping a cool little session this evening in some 10ish mph wind coming perpendicular to the runway at our local flying field. A couple of guys show up and get a decent sized foam warbird out of the truck to fly. First of all the guy does a cross field take off with the wind and almost biffed it right there. He then got some altitude and actually started really flying the plane well, doing rolls, loops, good turns etc. However, he was flying BEHIND himself and way out of bounds. He was flying where it is very obvious you shouldn't fly because there are lots of things to crash into. On the opposite side of the runway is a HUGE empty area and that is where to fly. Well, he comes into land cross wind and drops a wing from about 20 feet up. After the plane is on the asphalt he starts gunning the throttle to try and get it to taxi back to him but it's clearly not going to budge! He then walks and retrieves it, patches it up, changes out the battery and back out he goes. Meanwhile I touched base with him in a friendly manner and told him it's much better to fly over there (pointing to the proper area) as it's down wind and much easier to land coming from that direction.

He then promptly proceeds to take off WITH the wind again and flies straight out of bounds and back out where he isn't supposed to again. He flies around for a while and then finally gets it back in bounds. He then unceremoniously from about 200 feet up went full throttle straight into the ground hard enough for me to hear the "THUMP" from a distance away. As a matter of fact, since the crash took place down wind of me, I saw the dust cloud a fraction of a second prior to actually hearing the sound of a destroyed foam warbird.

He brought it to his truck, was asked by someone else if it's saveable to which the pilot hastily answered back, "It's f......ing DONE!! Throws his plane in and they drive off into the sunset.

Good times.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

I think that guys twin brother flys at our field too!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

Some people will do it their way, regardless of rules, safety or common sense. they get what happens to them. Hopefully they don't take others with them.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

every club field has someone who needs to be connected to a buddy box to save themselves and others harm.

i watched a guy crash a trainer ,and none of the other pilots who knew him were surprised. this same pilot was flying a larger heli in a area thats close to the plane pitts and crashed in the tall grass....he apparently searched and gave up saying the grounds crew will get to find it with their mowers.

Jim and i hiked down the hill and i found it! $1500 worth of bent helie thats easy to fix.......i didn't want anything for retrieving it but he wasn't even that grateful except to say a lil thanks.

with that i told him not to fly helie anywhere except with the other helies on the "dark side"of the field meant for helis...lol,the other plane pilots agreed.....

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Hoot48
Noob old fart

That wasn't me. I dont fly foam warbird type aircraft. I fly epp foamies...and still break them. I know his pain....and it hurtsnto see insensitive fellows like you make fun of a aero challenged person ....like him or me....i mean....would you laugh at bow legged balarina. They cant help it...an neither can we.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hoot48 View Post
That wasn't me. I dont fly foam warbird type aircraft. I fly epp foamies...and still break them. I know his pain....and it hurtsnto see insensitive bas....tds like you make fun of a aero challenged person ....like him or me....i mean....would you laugh at bow legged balarina. They cant help it...an neither can we.
Hi
Theres no reason for profanity
This is a family forum
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Hoot48
Noob old fart

Sorry....I guess Im the innsensitive........well you know.

Didnt mean to offend Sarge...it was supposed to be tongue in cheek...turned out to be foot in mouth.

Hoot

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum