Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > AMA and Informal Clubs > AMA Clubs > AMA District X Clubs > Arizona
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
SunDevilPilot

Friends: (1)
Default Arizona Model Aviators - Mesa, AZ

I guess I will start the thread for Arizona Model Aviators. We are a club located at Meridian Road and Brown Road in Mesa. The club hosts several events including but not limited to Wings over Arizona, Gunsmoke, a Jet Rally, and the ever popular Arizona Electrical Festival. There are about 250+ members.

Some info from the club website:

MISSION STATEMENT

We are a Gold Leader Club sanctioned by The Academy of Model Aeronautics. Our purpose is to make model aeronautics a reality for anyone who wishes to fly or build R/C model airplanes. We are committed to the long-term enjoyment of each member through the flexibility of education, the constant devotion of safety, and the continuity of this hobby family.

VISION STATEMENT

Education, understanding, communication, and innovation will bring about the continued success of this club. Our motivation will continue to adhere to traditional values while accepting the technical evolution. Our aim is to serve as liaison between the two.

CHARTER

Arizona Model Aviators is a chartered club (club #1600) within the AMA, Academy of Model Aeronautics, and are members of the AMA District 10 and the AMA chapter CAMAC (Central Arizona Modelers Advisory Council). We maintain Gold Leader Club status through the AMA.

A great club with great members and a top class facility.

http://www.azmodelaviators.com/

Some Photos I have taken around the club over the years are attached to this thread.

You cal also "visit" the field on Realflight 4.5 Expansion Pack 5 as a "Photo Field". Named "Superstition Airpark" on the Simulator.

Phil

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4 Phantom 4.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	107530   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4 Phantom 6.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	107531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	107532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	107533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	107534  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	107535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	107536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter Cub 1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	107537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Cub 11.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	107538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zero 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	107539  

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Gmanjr
ScootyPuffjr

Club: None, but might change
Friends: (0)
Default Hello

I just recently got into rc flying about six months ago, and have been hooked ever since. I am interested in joining a club but dont know how to go about the steps. I know you need a liscense to fly for one, and I do not have one. I really want to meet some people in my area that are as interested in this hobby as i am. Your club seems the best to me I just cant get ahold of anybody from the club cause of outlook xpress. I recently picked up a new parkzone corsair rtf, and love it to death. I put a lil video of it with this message. Anywayse i am really interested so if you could pass the message on to someone in the club or maybe forward this message it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
Gary LaFata jr
http://youtu.be/0rPGZVJ7aW0
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
SunDevilPilot

The best thing to do is come out to the airfield and ask to see one of the officers. The members are really friendly and will point you in the right direction. I fly on Mondays so you could ask for me, my name is Phil.

The process is this:

Join the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) which gives you insurance coverage (required by most flying clubs).

With AMA coverage you are allowed to join the club and start flying.

AMA is only the insurance.

AMA info is at http://www.modelaircraft.org/

I do recommend you come to the field and approach some of the members. They love to talk and will be really helpful in your membership. The field is as much a social club as it is a model airplane airport.

You can also look here for club information:
http://www.rcgroups.com/arizona-model-aviators-736/
http://www.azmodelaviators.com/

You can download the membership form off the club website, second link above. On that form you will see the requirement for AMA before joining the flying club.

SunDevilPilot
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Gmanjr
ScootyPuffjr

Default Thanks

I would love to come out to the field sooo bad. I took a drive out there to see about where it was, I found it but the gates were closed and locked. I dont know how to get in there. I read about it on your website and it says the hours but I think you must have a key. What time about do you go out there on mondays ? And do you think or know if anybody goes out there today later in the evenings ? I am just super exited I guess but like I said I just have to make the next syep of picking up a AMA membership. Didi you see my video? I took it at Higley hole. And if I was able to come down and meet somebody would it be ok to bring my plane, or is that totally shunned upon unless you have your liscense.
Thanks a whole lot
Gary LaFata jr
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
SunDevilPilot

Due to the summer heat a lot of people leave prior to lunch. The gate is locked, unlocked by the first guy there locked by the last one leaving. If you go there early in the morning, 0900 hours, there may be some guys there. We do, in the winter time, get an afternoon group that flys pretty late. Saturday morning at about 0830 - 0900 would be a safe bet.

When the weather is nice there is someone there pretty much all day every day.

SunDevilPilot
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Gary,

Yes, mornings are best this time of year because of the heat. Saturday and Sunday mornings are when most of the "electric only" guys are there, but there are usually guys there every morning.

If you want to check out the field and make a few flights, all you need is AMA membership like SDP stated above, and then pay an $8 day pass fee to any club officer.

Pat Gagnon
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Gmanjr
ScootyPuffjr

Cool wow

Whats the eight extra dollars for ?, it seems like 58.00$ is enough money to pay to fly RC planes.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

It's so that you don't get a mob of people showing up to the field to fly without paying dues to the club.

The AMA dues ($58, this is to the Academy of Model Aeronautics, the National Organization) are a once a year thing for anybody that wants to join an AMA chartered club.

The AZ Model Aviators club (it's confusing because we are also "AMA") is a single club that has our field off Meridian north of Brown. Dues for just this club are $75 per year, and the first year carries a $35 initiation fee (helps to offset the costs of your gate key, name tag and sticker for your membership card). Club dues go towards things like field repairs, upkeep of the runway, etc.

If you are not a member of the AZ Model Aviators club, but wish to fly at the field, the cost is $8 per day that you show up to fly.

Pat Gagnon
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Gmanjr
ScootyPuffjr

Default Need to win the lottery

Ok so pretty much I need $168 to fly legally at any ama field. Now the other day I was out on carefree highway and say a rc airpark out there. I would only be able to fly there if I became a member of thier club ? Whatever I think I have made my choice. And it could only be AZ Model Avaitors Club.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Actually, that amount is only for the AZ Model Aviators, and of that only $110 goes to the local club.

You're going to pay $58 to the national AMA organization, regardless of what club you join. But once you have it, it's good for ALL chartered clubs. Then all you have to do is pay the individual club membership dues (if any) for whichever club you decide to join.

And there are even some places that don't require dues at all. For instance, the Basin 116 I told you about on Elliot between Ellsworth and Signal Butte. National AMA is all you need. There's no actual "flying site", but it does allow you to use the basin for flying.

There's also Thude Park, or the "Chandler Bowl". They have a dirt runway and a covered pavillion, but no club dues.

Pat Gagnon

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > AMA and Informal Clubs > AMA Clubs > AMA District X Clubs > Arizona