Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #151
madwebtvscientist

Friends: (0)

Numbthumbs, I hope this will post. As indicated below I tried and failed once before. Join us on the Spitfire thread for some fun if you can.

RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#9072143

Squadron, below is a communiqué response post that is currently being blocked off the next url. If one or more of our unit could go behind enemy lines and deliver the vital information we may be able to hasten the defeat of the enemy. Time is rapidly running out for me so I must avoid direct contact with our forces for days and maybe weeks at a time.

Fire at will!

I wish you well.

Over and out.

How do I fly, exactly? - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...3121post623121

[QUOTE=Numbthumbs;623121]
HI Madweb, yes, flying into the sun is dangerous for beginners! Her is a video of what happens when one flies into the sun! I did this with my Trojan here and my Super Cub as well. Always fly with sunglasses, and never directly into the sun. I lost sight of the Trojan for about one second and well...you will see.

Numbthumbs, I AM A CONVERT! Yes, my mother gave me a set of "HD VISION" dark glasses that I had previously dismissed as "sales hype" and WOW! I could not only clearly see my planes in the air while not even realizing that I was wearing them over my regular glasses but enjoy some good sun protection as well.

Yesterday, I flew two (2) WWI planes over a small "two soccer field" size area and decided that this size area was too small for me with these planes under the shifty wind conditions I had to endure. I fell in love with these dark glasses. They might have even played a part in avoiding some near disasters.

I will continue to test these dark glasses and report as opportunity provides.
Hope you are still enjoying the conquest of the air.
madwebtvscientist
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #152
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Awards Showcase

1kW  125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon 

Hehe Madweb,

glad to see the glasses worked out for ya! I am still ripping up the skies, enjoying it more and more, and making my own Depron/Balsa foamies at a feverish rate. Loving every damn minute of it!

May your landings always be good!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #153
madwebtvscientist

Numbthumbs, I hope this will post. As indicated below I tried and failed once before. Join us on the Spitfire thread for some fun if you can.
RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#9072143

Squadron, below is a communiqué response post that is currently being blocked off the next url. If one or more of our unit could go behind enemy lines and deliver the vital information we may be able to hasten the defeat of the enemy. Time is rapidly running out for me so I must avoid direct contact with our forces for days and maybe weeks at a time.
Fire at will!
I wish you well.
Over and out.

How do I fly, exactly? - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...3121post623121

[QUOTE=Numbthumbs;623121]
HI Madweb, yes, flying into the sun is dangerous for beginners! Her is a video of what happens when one flies into the sun! I did this with my Trojan here and my Super Cub as well. Always fly with sunglasses, and never directly into the sun. I lost sight of the Trojan for about one second and well...you will see.

Numbthumbs, I AM A CONVERT! Yes, my mother gave me a set of "HD VISION" dark glasses that I had previously dismissed as "sales hype" and WOW! I could not only clearly see my planes in the air while not even realizing that I was wearing them over my regular glasses but enjoy some good sun protection as well.

Yesterday, I flew two (2) WWI planes over a small "two soccer field" size area and decided that this size area was too small for me with these planes under the shifty wind conditions I had to endure. I fell in love with these dark glasses. They might have even played a part in avoiding some near disasters.

I will continue to test these dark glasses and report as opportunity provides.
Hope you are still enjoying the conquest of the air.
madwebtvscientist
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #154
madwebtvscientist

Default apology

This is my second attempt to apologize for the duplicate post that I did not realize had already posted. For some reason I seem to be running into a lot more trouble in my efforts to communicate than usual. Any ideas why this may be happening?
Thank to all of you in advance for sharing any reassuring thoughts you might have.
madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #155
cliffm

Great advise.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #156
hungryjoe56

Just want to thank those of you who gave words of encouragement when I was down having crashed my J-3 cub so many times. I gave up on the J-3 because it was no longer flight worthy. I bought a Super Cub and am very happy with it. (I turned off the ACT.) It seems more durable, and I can keep it on line for take-offs. Now have two straight sucessful take-offs and landings. I know most writers prefer the outrunner brushless electric motors to the gearbox which is in the SC, but IMHO those outrunners do not survive a crashes. The outrunners seem to crack easily, rendering the motors useless. I have three useless motors from my J-3 days. Anyway, thanks for your support, and good luck to you all.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #157
canada94

View canada94's Gallery1
Default eeeeekkkk.lol

Hi guys

After reading this, im even more nervous.lol

Keep on flying

Kevin
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #158
kevinm

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
All of what I have provided will help you but when it comes to the fear and frustration of the first flight, this is the one that will make the greatest impact on your first flying experience. Do this wrong and failure is almost assured.

THROWING UP WILL MAKE YOU SICK!

Many, perhaps most of the small electric planes can be hand launched. Many
don't even have landing gear. I take the landing gear off as it tends to grab
in the grass and flip the plane over on landing. I belly land all of mine.

Let's take a look at that hand launch as it can be troublesome for new flyers.

Always launch into the wind. ALWAYS!!!! No exceptions! If the wind is not
blowing into your face, you are facing the wrong way.
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=43

Motor at FULL throttle. Remember, if you throw-UP, that will make you sick.
You want to send it straight out.

Your plane may actually lose some altitude as it gains speed. As long as the
wings are level and the plane is flat, that is fine. The plane should look
like it just flew past you, not like it is climbing, at least not right away.

Don't pull back on the elevator till it is up to speed. Maybe a TINY bit. It
should start to regain that altitude all on its own as the lift of the wing
kicks in. Until that happens, a big pull back on the elevator is like putting
on the brakes, and it will slow the plane down, the wings will lose lift and
it will stall and likely fall to one side or the other, especially if you
haven't thrown it with the wings level.

Stall?
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=31

Think of it this way, if you throw the plane up, it is like starting to ride
your bicycle up hill in high gear from a standing start. VERY HARD to do.
Better to start on level ground in a lower gear, get up some speed, then
attack the hill. Same for your plane.

If you throw up, the plane can not gain speed fast enough and the wing will
not get up to minimum flying speed. Getting a firm, flat, wings even throw
takes some work. Send it out like a big dart you are tossing at a board on the
wall.

Try this visualization:

Stand under the goal post of a football or soccer field. With the motor at
full power, throw it straight out so it will fly under the cross bar of the
other goal post.

Under the other goal post? Yes under!

That should give you a nice flat throw! If you are trying to throw it OVER the
goal post, you are tipped up too much. Strong firm, flat throw, not up, or
only slightly up. Those wings need to be flat to gain lift. ( Don't worry,
by time it reaches the other end of the field it will be much higher than
that cross bar, but don't try to throw it over the bar. Let the plane do it.)

This tendency to throw up is a very common mistake that lots of new flyers
make. You will crash and crash and crash and that will just make you sick!

Remember: If you throw-up, it will make you sick!
real good stuff- my hand launches, (as opposed to normal takeoffs), have always been hectic - huge hurry to get away from terror firma - so i havent asked my poor, beloved, no LG, vintage ex- slimer Cox Centurion with a 2208-08 2600kv on 11.1 to fly for me much , (much to my chagrin), its sooooo nice looking flying by- i need to make field time with my mentor to work on nice easy 1/2 + throttle hand launches , instead of the way i was doing- the 2600kv will take it almost vertical from hand , so that was the MO- but skimming the earth (5-6 ft elevation) out of hand is beautifuler - thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #159
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by canada94 View Post
Hi guys

After reading this, im even more nervous.lol

Keep on flying

Kevin
Don't be nervous. You'll bang up your planes a few times for sure, but it's almost always fixable with glue and tape. You should see my Super Cub! It's a miracle it still flies. It actually flies really well now that I figured out how to set it up, but it looks pretty bad...

After the first few disasters, you'll get the hang of it and you'll have to resort to aerobatics to break your planes. I love every minute of it!

AMA #959089
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #160
JackM

Friends: (1)

Great book is 123D Manual available from http://www.rcflightschool.com/Manuals_Page.asp

Usual disclaimer.

Jack
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #161
Crumpet46

Default noob

thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #162
Softfx

lotta homework to be done ...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #163
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Trust me when I say. If i can fly you can fly. I have crashed more times than I can count. Like NJ said my SC does not look the same. Been real blast. Just go for and do no get frustrated. Life is to short for that besides its a hobby it is suposed to be fun so have some fun
Fish

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #164
1geo1
George

O.K.- Just some thought for anyone who HAS to learn to fly alone like I did
( did not "have" to- just hard headed )
1- wind is BAD 2- too little input is usually better than a lot. 3- buy extra parts and planes. 4-a "CHAOS" 60- is not a beginners plane 5- and my best (IMHO) at first always hold the transmitter with top( antenae) IN LINE with the plane( at 1st )- if u are coming toward yourself- inputs reversed- just keep anten. in-line- no reversal. yes, u might look like a noob at first, but if you are learning alone who cares, It works.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #165
madwebtvscientist

Default Thanks everybody for such a fun thread!

Dear everybody,

The title of this post says it all. With all of the different good ways there are to learn to fly today everybody here with the burning desire to fly will surely be fulfilled. My overwhelming preference for learning to fly almost any model, etc. is computer flight sims. During unflyable weather I enjoy "flying" full scale airplanes and being reminded of how much better my models fly than ponderous full scale flying machines.

As I'm sure you all are very well aware, the world is changing at breath taking speed. Modelers have a very unique opportunity to influence events like never before in history. Please Google < madthorium > to see what is causing "Future Shock" all over the world to see how our irresistible aircraft are on the right side of history.

Breaking off the attack now.

Out.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #166
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by madwebtvscientist View Post
\ Please Google < madthorium > to see what is causing "Future Shock" all over the world to see how our irresistible aircraft are on the right side of history.
Not much there really. Mostly two year old stuff. Make that up to four year old stuff, almost all of it between 2009 and 2011. If there was anything to it the world would have been transformed by now! Looks like the future of the past to me.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #167
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

"As I'm sure you all are very well aware, the world is changing at breath taking speed. Modelers have a very unique opportunity to influence events like never before in history. Please Google < madthorium > to see what is causing "Future Shock" all over the world to see how our irresistible aircraft are on the right side of history."

Excuse my ignorance, but after having read through the majority of the previous threads on this topic (some very informative but not earth shattering advice) , I fail to see how or where any "future shock" applies here.....maybe it was those sunglasses the OP was looking through at a time of enlightenment, that gave him this vision!.....I'll keep my bi-focals primed for the next revelation.....

AMA 928214
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #168
1geo1
George

Well my two cents... Come back to this after 20yrs- there is some shock.
Just unpacked my new ( granted- entry level) computer radio, TRIED to read whole
manual first and thought " why did I give my old futaba 4-ch- 72 mhz away"
Next it was "foam" aircraft- WTH ? Much reading later, "why did I not think of that ?"
" how much are servos now ? " On the other hand that 7 cylinder radial engine for
glow( i assume that's "nitro" now) is still ONLY 3,500 USD -LOL, still, the basic principles Are the same, thank goodness right ?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #169
velojet
Community Moderator

Club: Hibiscus Coast Radio Flyers
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (6)
Default Mad

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Not much there really. Mostly two year old stuff. Make that up to four year old stuff, almost all of it between 2009 and 2011. If there was anything to it the world would have been transformed by now! Looks like the future of the past to me.
Amen. Just a blind alley with the blind leading the blind.

John Velojet - the Flying Kiwi
Project Globetrotter official route monitor
Project Globetrotter pilot (Western Pacific phase)
Jetex.org editor/developer
NZMAA #10375

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
fly