Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Gofer303

Club: Twin Cities Eagle Squadron CB Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to Gofer303
Friends: (4)
Default NeeI am rebuilding a christen eagle by cox does not look in too bad a sd help or info

I am rebuilding a christen eagle by cox does not look in too bad a shape had to replace servos for tail both were bad the motor is brushless and has a esc all unmarked but working. Any info on cog battery placement or any info at all is appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Larry

Honor Student majoring in Crashology! Flying Thunder Air Field says" May the Thrust be with YOU"
Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,026 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by Gofer303 View Post
I am rebuilding a christen eagle by cox does not look in too bad a shape had to replace servos for tail both were bad the motor is brushless and has a esc all unmarked but working. Any info on cog battery placement or any info at all is appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Larry
Hi Larry You can use the following to find the CG of any biplane or even monoplane for that matter. First treat both wings as one: ie if the wings are 6" chord and the top wing is 2" ahead of the bottom, then that's the same as a 8" chord. use 25% back from the front wings leading edge, thats a safe place to start from. you can them move the cg back and find the sweet spot, 30% might be to much on some planes, so use 25% to start with, a nose heavy plane will fly, but a tail heavy plane will only fly once

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305044

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Gofer303

Chellie I did not know how to do that and figured the easiest way to find out is ask. That will work out good as I have a cog balancer that was donated to me due to the size of the persons planes were way too big for it. If I can find my camera that was "borrowed" by one of the kids for a day last week will get some pics up. This plane had been flown but shows no great damage dings etc the servo tray was chewed up and as integral part of the body and just foam I made a balsa tray which is real light and glued that to the remaining foam. I really need to get back to the Mud Duck Build that has been on hold due to a lot of other problems and the lack of $$$ for finishing the motor set up but now am announcing again so in 2 months of saving it will get up in the air.

Honor Student majoring in Crashology! Flying Thunder Air Field says" May the Thrust be with YOU"
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Chellie I did not know how to do that and figured the easiest way to find out is ask. That will work out good as I have a cog balancer that was donated to me due to the size of the persons planes were way too big for it. If I can find my camera that was "borrowed" by one of the kids for a day last week will get some pics up. This plane had been flown but shows no great damage dings etc the servo tray was chewed up and as integral part of the body and just foam I made a balsa tray which is real light and glued that to the remaining foam. I really need to get back to the Mud Duck Build that has been on hold due to a lot of other problems and the lack of $$$ for finishing the motor set up but now am announcing again so in 2 months of saving it will get up in the air.
It will be great to see your Mud Duck in the air Yea I know about the $$$ part, i am retired and live on a fixed income, and really have to budjet myself, thank goodness i was able to pay off a lot of bills and such before retiring, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Gofer303

Revisiting this post and still have not heard from any one what throws were for stock set up. Any info appreciated.
Larry

Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Larry
Pleased to meet you
These links may be of help
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616587
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/p...ert.cfm?id=807
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Gofer303

Ken your a friend indeed thanks great info but does not list the control throws. I need a owner who has the manual for it to copy me the throws and other set up info not listed online. The plane has been rebuilt and new parts and servo installed and even tested on a short taxi. I really do not want to guess the set up on this plane.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
Gofer303

Hey all I have had some time and energy all at the same time and put together the Cristen Eagle. wings are roughly 6.25 inches wide so as per Chellie's suggestion I figured the cog at 25% and it seems to be almost spot on balance wise not quite a down angle but not tail heavy either. The problem is with the stock position for the battery is behind the motor and in front of the wheels. There seems to be a major problem with this. The plane on the ground is so nose heavy it will tip forward when the prop starts getting some speed up. I have been thinking on using different wheel sets but these are stock set up and if I move the battery back the cog is very tail heavy. I almost took it out and hand launched it and the hell with the landing but it is a good looking plane and I dont want to ruin it. When got it on a auction it went cheap and now looking at the repairs I had to make this has been its problem all along. This is a Cox Christen Eagle arf no longer made and I have never been able to get a hold of a manual. Any suggestions welcome Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default CG for Cox Christen Eagle

Hey all I have had some time and energy all at the same time and put together the Cristen Eagle. wings are roughly 6.25 inches wide so as per Chellie's suggestion I figured the cog at 25% and it seems to be almost spot on balance wise not quite a down angle but not tail heavy either. The problem is with the stock position for the battery is behind the motor and in front of the wheels. There seems to be a major problem with this. The plane on the ground is so nose heavy it will tip forward when the prop starts getting some speed up. I have been thinking on using different wheel sets but these are stock set up and if I move the battery back the cog is very tail heavy. I almost took it out and hand launched it and the hell with the landing but it is a good looking plane and I dont want to ruin it. When got it on a auction it went cheap and now looking at the repairs I had to make this has been its problem all along. This is a Cox Christen Eagle arf no longer made and I have never been able to get a hold of a manual. Any suggestions welcome Thanks in advance.
Hi with the supplied 1800mah lipo the Cg is suppose to be right on,, the art tech bi plane is the same as the cox from what i understand and have tried to find CG info on that too,

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=134

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10102

i think this HK bi plane might be a art tech bi plane also known as the cox christen eagle.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1239061
check out post #2

May 04, 2010, 04:07 PM #2 SabreHawk
Off we go.............

Just ahead of the rear bolt on the top wing's cabane strut attachment.
Here's a shot from the Christen Eagle's manual. This plane is identical, and even of the same manufacturer, Art Tech.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 904x482 and weighs 89KB.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

some people have had to cut the foam in the fuselage to get the CG correct by moving the battery

Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Gofer303

Thanks Chellie and Saberhawk. The cog using the 25% was really close to the info in the reply. If I chop a hole and move the battery back a tad that may fix the weight over the LG will have to try this. All the links look identical to the one I have even the tail numbers. This is the brushless model and it took me a while to figure the wing mounting I almost hated to screw in the back screws on the cabines. Well if everything works out today I will do some choping if it does not work then I have a motor esc to play with. BTW the last good battery I have is a 11.1 1300mah 30c and it seems that is the stock battery listed for this. Again thanks for sharing all of your experience with me I really appreciate the help.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Gofer here's the manual for it.
Not a mention of throws in it......

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/pdf/Christen-Eagle.pdf

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
Gofer303

GG Thanks for the pdf it is interesting how little information it contains. I must admit there is much less chinglish in it than I expected. Looks to be the exact same plane as I am trying to get to fly.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum