Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
PKNEC

Friends: (1)
Default Cellpro 10XP

I am just getting my head round all this charging jargon and I am just wondering if I can use my 4s multi mains adaptor on a 10 XP and if not do I need a dedicated PSU (650 watt gizmo) to get the best out of the 10XP.
Please help my heads going to explode.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by PKNEC View Post
I am just getting my head round all this charging jargon and I am just wondering if I can use my 4s multi mains adaptor on a 10 XP and if not do I need a dedicated PSU (650 watt gizmo) to get the best out of the 10XP.
Please help my heads going to explode.
Hi:

Sorry, I'm not following you. Please tell me what is a "4s multi mains adaptor". I think you mean a Cellpro Multi4 adapter, but I do not understand what this would have to do with what you use to power the 10XP with? If you mean can you use the power supply that came with your Cellpro Multi 4 charger, then I will tell you how you can do it. If you could ellaborate, I hope to answer any/all your question(s) at one time.

We don't want your head (or equipment) exploding!

Tim Marks
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
PKNEC

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Sorry, I'm not following you. Please tell me what is a "4s multi mains adaptor". I think you mean a Cellpro Multi4 adapter, but I do not understand what this would have to do with what you use to power the 10XP with? If you mean can you use the power supply that came with your Cellpro Multi 4 charger , then I will tell you how you can do it. If you could ellaborate, I hope to answer any/all your question(s) at one time.

We don't want your head (or equipment) exploding!

Tim Marks

Hi Tim

I would like to be able to charge two 3s lipo batteries 2200mah at 2c at the same time and in the future bigger capacity 3s packs.
I would like to use the mains adapter (12 volt 5amp psu) that I bought with my cellpro 4 multi.
If I can't use it what other options do I have to get the best usage out of a
cellpro 10 xp.
Sorry if the first post didn't make sense but that how confused I am. Lol
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Howard Matos
Production Supervisor

View Howard Matos's Gallery12
Club: Frederick Model Aircraft Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Howard Matos

Hi Tim

I would like to be able to charge two 3s lipo batteries 2200mah at 2c at the same time and in the future bigger capacity 3s packs.
I would like to use the mains adapter (12 volt 5amp psu) that I bought with my cellpro 4 multi.
cellpro 10 xp.
Hi,

Yes you can use the adapter with the Cellpro 10S line of chargers but you will need the 5P to 6P adapter boards, one for each channel. You will connect these to the XP then your M4 adapters will connect to them. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Fly More, Fly More Often!!!

http://www.fmadirect.com/
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Hi Tim

cellpro 10 xp.
Hi:

First off, no apology necessary.

1) With regard to the PSU you purchased with your Multi4, yes, it can be used, but no, it won't provide nearly current the CP10XP requires to reach its maximum potential. If you want to use it for now, here's what you need to do:

a) Download the product's user guide here, first link on the Resources tab:

http://www.revolectrix.com/10xp_links_tab.htm

b) Check page 11 to read about the Power Management feature. Check the "Options Menu Explained" starting on p20 to get instructions on how to set the input power limit of the CP10XP. You will want to set this limit to no higher than 5A. Now, when you do this, you can set the charge rate to anything you want, but the charger will automatically protect the input supply and never exceed the 5A input current.

2) How fast can you charge 2 3s lipo batteries with this PSU and a current limit of 5A?

Ohms law:

5A * 12v = 60W max available input power

60W * .85 (worst case efficiency of charger) = 51W available at the charger output
2 x 3s LiPo = 6s LiPo = 25.2v battery voltage

51W / 25.2V = approx. 2A max charge to these batteries using the Multi4 PSU, regardless of what you choose for the charge current setting, and keeping in mind you are limiting input current to 5A.

This will result in a charge time of perhaps 1 hr 20 minutes (nearly a 1C charge rate) depending on the state of imbalance in the battery pack.

That will get you started.

Now, your other question was, what do I need to get maximum performance. The CP10XP is rated at 720W max continuous input and 605W max continuous output at 30V DC input.

If you supplied this kind of input power, how fast could you charge the same 2 batteries?

24A-25A (max charger input current) * 30v = 720W max available input power

720W * .85 (worst case efficiency of charger) = 600W (nominal) available at the charger output
2 x 3s LiPo = 6s LiPo = 25.2v battery voltage

600W / 25.2V = 23.8A max, but the output current limit is 15A. Therefore, 15A is the max charge to these batteries using a 30V, 720W capable PSU, and you'd reset the input current limit to the max 25A setting.

This will result in a charge time of perhaps 10 minutes (nearly a 7C charge rate) depending on the state of imbalance in the battery pack. But of course, you would need to be certain the batteries are rated for 7C charge. A comfortable fast charge rate for most good quality LiPo is 3C.

So you will likely want to get a larger PSU at some point down the road, but you also likely do not require 30V, 25A, 750W. Anything in between the Multi4 and what will deliver the max will result in faster charge times. If you understand the formulas above, you can look for available PSU's and decide from there. It's always best practice to set the input current limit to 5% or 10% under the max rating of the PSU you use.

Hope this gets you going!

Tim Marks
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

Yes you can use the adapter with the Cellpro 10S line of chargers but you will need the 5P to 6P adapter boards, one for each channel. You will connect these to the XP then your M4 adapters will connect to them. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Hi:

I see Howard was responding to your inquiry at the same moment I was! Howard is referring to the adapters you would require on the output side of the charger to connect up your batteries. It was my understanding you were asking about the input power supply. So now you have answers to either question.

Tim Marks
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
PKNEC

Many thanks to both of you for your help.
Cheers,
Paul

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct

Tags