Couldn't find a thread on WF for this plane so I thought I'd post one.
Just bought an ST Models MX2 foamie. Looks great and had some good reviews.
But after looking at threads on other forums I decided to do some mods before the maiden.
First thing was to hot melt a 4mm ply strip to the underside of the fuse and attach the undercarriage, I also drilled the ply and pushed 4 2" long bamboo skewers through the holes and into the foam to increase strengthening. The standard plastic mount is apparently useless and rips out of the foam unless you absoloutely grease the landings! I replaced the wheels with 2" foam jobs that I'd taken from my Wot4 earlier (upped the size to accomodate longish grass). I fitted one of the stock front wheels to the rear bracket. Can anyone suggest a better tail wheel mount because frankly the wire used to make the factory fitted item is nowhere near strong enough. Maybe one from a PZ model would work? Any suggestions gratefully received!
Next up I replaced the ESC and Motor. The original motor/prop combo pulled too much for the generic 30A ESC so I bought an Epower BL2815 920kv outrunner and linked it up to a Hobbywing Pentium 40A ESC, tests I've seen report that using the 12 x 6 stock prop it should draw appx 34A max. I mounted the motor using the fitting kit that came with it, I had to file a little off here and there and slot 2 of the holes as the originals fell over holes in the firewall. The motor is a little bigger diameter than the original and the mounting kit pushed it about 6mm forward of the original which meant I had to remove a bit of the foam from inside the nose cowl with a Dremel. Once hooked up correctly to the ESC I taped the cowl back on rather than using glue so I can remove it again in the future if required. I fitted a 45mm Aluminium spinner to complete the look, much nicer than the original white one!
A minor mod was required to the battery hatch to ensure it stayed put and a tiny area of foam needed to be sanded away above the Elevator servo as the horn was rubbing on the fuse.
Finally I applied GF tape to the leading edges etc.
I'm hoping tomorrow will be fine so I can take it to the field