Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default E-flite UMX MiG 15 Ducted Fan Jet

This look interesting but if it as expensive as the Habu it will be long wait for this one
Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G880qpino7Y

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Fentonflyers

Friends: (1)

It's a micro so not comparable to the Habu. Looks cool and has full house. We will have to see. I wonder what they are going to replace the Habu with? It's a great flying edf.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ohh I did not know it was a micro. I wonder what size the EDF is. I would be interested in some specs on this MIG. You are right not comparable to the Habu. I wonder what their price will be in compared to the Habu. I have not flown a Habu other than in Sim but I have seen it fly my buddy owns one, He loves it and its looks bigger in person than I imagined

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It is TINY less than three ounces.

Here is some good data...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575657

As you can see below the fan is a 28mm! A 2s 200mA 25c pack is needed. Mmmmmmm nice.

Official announcement comes the 1st of Feb.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 18 14.08.gif
Views:	219
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	156523   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 18 14.08.gif
Views:	221
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	156524   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 18 14.09.gif
Views:	269
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	156525  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

This is one micro I may not be able to resist. Curse you, E-flite!!! (Shakes fist in air!)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
It is TINY less than three ounces.

Here is some good data...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575657

As you can see below the fan is a 28mm! A 2s 200mA 25c pack is needed. Mmmmmmm nice.

Official announcement comes the 1st of Feb.

Mike
A post at RCU lists this MiG-15 with the AS3X stabilization gyro, too, so possibly flyable in wind........aaaarrrrgghhhhh! E-flite hitting up the addict for the "latest new high, man."
Great. I'm jones-ing, E-flite, real bad. I'll pay you Tuesday for a MiG today. Help a guy out.........I'm hurtin', man

The official N.A.T.O. Code Name for this plane, a real threat when it appeared over the skies of Korea, is "FAGGOT" (see Complaint Dept. at NATO if you're offended). I personally think that's a great in-your-face slap to the Communist Soviets at the time, which was its intent: real, applied PSY-ops. I bet the red menace loved that one!
Anyway, do you think Horizon Hobby will label their box with the lettering: "This box contains one Bind 'N Fly, AS3X-qyro equipped MiG-15 FAGGOT"
It happens to be the truth.

With the AS3X stabilization, it's custom-made for the windy Gulf Coast. And.....a particularly "open" city on the windy West Coast, too. I've already got Hobby Lobby's MiG-15 so I'll probably get Horizon's, too, as they have the best service in the business, and good product, too.

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Give NATO a little slack. Back then, faggot was slang for a cigarette.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Give NATO a little slack. Back then, faggot was slang for a cigarette.
You are correct, sir! Brits call smokes "fags" all the time. Right, my English friends?
I miss the day when it was okay to poke a finger in the enemy's eye with a good 'ol moniker like the glorious MiG-15 "faggot". When they first showed up, they did, afterall, shoot down our B-29s with impunity. A lot of good Americans died.
Back to payback fun: just imagine, you're in a flight of F-86's....
"Look, Captain Joe, Ten O'clock low. It's a flight of FAGGOTS! What say we dive and blast 'em with our 'fitties."
"Roger that, and good spottin'. Let's rodeo."
Yee-haw!
l
I, for one, salute you, NATO, for not being cowed-down wimpy at the time. Refreshing.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I really am offended by this discussion. The term faggot is used as a derogatory... Ok, I can't keep a straight face any longer!

I always thought of the Mig-15 as a fat, ugly aircraft. Then I saw a Mig-17 fly in a local airshow last summer. On the ground they look like bloated pigs. In the air, they are amazing works of art! Good Lord, that jet was beautiful in appearance, sound and speed! I bought a 50 mm foamy RC version of the 'Faggot." It is a twitchy thing. My friend's F-86 is so much easier to fly. Given the choice, sign me up for the twitchy Mig! Good Lord, it is FUN!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

The -15 is awesome! It was 'the peoples fighter' in the Soviet Union, built to be tough and easy to maintain. I still search occaissionally for I think it was a History Channel 'Wings of the Red Star' series on DVD. They had episodes on the Mig-15, Mig-21, and Mig-25. They were great shows, but I think they just never released them on DVD. I think I saw some VHS ones, but they wanted a crazy amount of money for them. But I'll bet they have Jersey Shore on DVD...
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
ckankel

Friends: (0)

Actually, the NATO name is Fagot, with one G. Its original meaning is a bundle of sticks, derived from the Roman fascis. You can see where it would become slang for cigarettes. It appears one or two Gs is interchangeably acceptable spelling. I doubt it was NATO's intention to use the term in its derogatory sense, although I'm sure Western pilots embraced that meaning.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Default Peter Ustinov, narrator

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
The -15 is awesome! It was 'the peoples fighter' in the Soviet Union, built to be tough and easy to maintain. I still search occaissionally for I think it was a History Channel 'Wings of the Red Star' series on DVD. They had episodes on the Mig-15, Mig-21, and Mig-25. They were great shows, but I think they just never released them on DVD. I think I saw some VHS ones, but they wanted a crazy amount of money for them. But I'll bet they have Jersey Shore on DVD...
Yes! Those are awesome historical documents, those films! Narrated by Peter Ustinov, the great Brit actor. These must be found!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
I really am offended by this discussion. The term faggot is used as a derogatory... Ok, I can't keep a straight face any longer!

I always thought of the Mig-15 as a fat, ugly aircraft. Then I saw a Mig-17 fly in a local airshow last summer. On the ground they look like bloated pigs. In the air, they are amazing works of art! Good Lord, that jet was beautiful in appearance, sound and speed! I bought a 50 mm foamy RC version of the 'Faggot." It is a twitchy thing. My friend's F-86 is so much easier to fly. Given the choice, sign me up for the twitchy Mig! Good Lord, it is FUN!
Thought we had a live one, earth sci!

On to the fun of this new model! I've had fun at the expense of this MiG, and I'm thankful I'm not on the receiving end of her 37mm cannon like our fine American and British pilots (they flew Meteors) during the war. Just one more poke: she was also called "The Flying Tractor" by some of her critics and even pilots because of her odd, often asymetrical finish and general utilitarian appearance. I read that there were 21 Russian pilots who claimed "ace" status by the end of hostilities over Korea: Fedorets, Papelyaev, Smorchkov and Sutyegan (sp?) are some I remember. (Russian source: "MiG 15 aces of the Korean War". It is skewed to Soviet views but one can read they were simply beaten into submission by American pilots in F-86s).
Thankfully, because Horizon is making this model its quality should be stellar, better than Mikoyan-Gurevich. even. We won't need hammers to make things fit right.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Sakai's Freedom Flight

The page is up at Horizon now :
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...f-bnf-EFLU1680
The close-up photos reveal good scale features, especially the forward bending nose gear and backward sloping stance. Lord help me, I am tempted so.....I ordered the new Spitfire instead! For Sir Winston, the Merlin, the American Eagle Squadrons 71, 133 and 121, and good winning over evil!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-PKZU2180

Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Sakai's Freedom Flight View Post
The page is up at Horizon now :
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...f-bnf-EFLU1680
The close-up photos reveal good scale features, especially the forward bending nose gear and backward sloping stance. Lord help me, I am tempted so.....I ordered the new Spitfire instead! For Sir Winston, the Merlin, the American Eagle Squadrons 71, 133 and 121, and good winning over evil!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-PKZU2180
Talk about a flip LOL She does look cool and on camera it looks a lot bigger however once you see it inside you really get an idea of how "small" it is. Looks like you have to have some pretty good skills to fly it inside a gymnasium

Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
ChuckTSeeker

At last they have arrived & i was straight to the shop to pick mine up, Yes! the new E-Flite UMX Mig-15 DF is all they said and more. It is a beautiful scale Jet and i am just busting to get this plane in the air, keep an eye out for the Maiden! coming soon. Again thanks to OMP for supplying the Mig-15 so i could bring this un-boxing to you, so on with the show i hope you enjoy

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKDzjTBXZE

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Nice vid Chuck. Thanks! Look fwd to the maiden. Good luck with it! Sheeesh, so many planes to get, too many wives! (1)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
ChuckTSeeker

At last i get to fly the new UMX Mig-15 and it wasn't a disappointment, this plane rocks. Having never flown a micro EDF i just didn't know what to expect, what i got was a very exciting aircraft that takes off easy, fly's precise and just sounds and looks so sweet. First flight is with the Stock 200mAh 25C 2s Battery and these batteries have come a long way and flew this plane really well, i got 3 1/2 minutes flight time. Second flight is with the Miniaviation 300mAh 30C 2S again a great battery that giave me 5 minutes of flight time. As asked i have tried to add commentary as we fly.
Third Battery is a full 5 minute flight where Corinne has really got her eye in and caught this plane "Doing It's Thing" but thats in Part 2 of the maiden, well worth a look as i too got more accustomed to this jet and really put it through it's paces, Please Enjoy!

cheers chuck

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
ChuckTSeeker

Here's the 3rd flight of the new E-flite UMX Mig-15 DF Corinne had her eye/hand/swing working great and captured the Mig "Close Up" while i am now very comfortable flying this plane so put it through it's paces. The wind was blowing in from the side on the runway and this plane slide slips in and handles the wind with ease, there is a few of the landings at the end of the vid to show just how well this plane lands and takes off.
I think this is the best video footage of the mig on the net at the moment and well worth a look, hope you too enjoy this as much as i did making it

cheers chuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v15n_-tHjnQ

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #20
NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF

View NitroCharged's Gallery1

For those wanting to be a little closer to the action - here is an onboard video of the UMX Mig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXWjQyoaZs
Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
Flying Fiz

Default Landing on grass

Guys,

I want to hand launch and belly it in on grass, do you think that will be OK with this little jet.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF

View NitroCharged's Gallery1

If you go to my youtube channel and check out the UMX Mig videos, you will see all flights are done on grass.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
Flying Fiz

Great thanks for that - I will check out your vids in a few hours, the computer I'm at presently can't access youtube.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Curse my LHS!!! I stopped in to pick up a couple of props I ordered, and there on the counter are half a dozen Mig's fresh off the truck... I've got 2 planes in the mail already, but I've been waiting for this one, too. If only they weren't there in front of my face, I could have held off... So It's in my trunk now!

OK, where's those GP F-86 pilots? You guys are going down!

Oh yeah, I have the story ready: "I've had that old thing for years! If you'd come down to the field more often, you'd have seen it already, honey. Geez, you should participate more...."
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #25
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, maidened her today. Just incredible! And when the wind a gustiness picked up, she still flew great. No regrets with this purchase.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets