Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #2601
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery27
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
Question AGAIN!!!
Hinges. What type of hing have you found to work the best with the PINK AND BLUE FOAM.
Having been using the CA -foam safe glue. But having some problems with eating the foam out.
Has anyone tried the Du-Bro E/Z hing from -- HEADSUPRC. ?? Looks like it should work fine, Just push the point in with a little glue on it.
WHAT SAY YOU.
SARG5
I use Beacon Foam Tack for the hinge and reinforce with Blenderm(paper tape)
I always bevel both surface's.

Crashalott
Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #2602
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I second Crash's comment. Unless it's EPP or EPO, CA will eat your foam. I too use Beacon Foam Tac and it's available just about anywhere. Great stuff ! Not a big fan of Monster glue as it gets too messy IMO. For the profile pusher jets made from Dollar Tree foam, I use hot glue but at the lower heat setting for long beads.

If you're making hinges for your control surfaces ,I found tape hinges work the best. Like Crash mentioned, get some blenderm clear tape and bevel the edges at about 30-45 deg angle. Here's a short vid on making tape hinges:

There's more vids out there but you'll get the idea.

Happy Easter !
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #2603
928Shane

Friends: (0)
Default Yes,yes

I do like it. Yesterday I went flying,plane did well,getting plane trimmed out, had around an 8-10 mph wind. Seemed to fly pretty well in that(noob talking here!),,unfortunatley on my third flight I seemed to lose my elevator and she hit pretty hard. It was getting a bit gusty and I had enough altitude to pull up,just didn't respond. I am not sure if it was pilot or builder error.The linkage for the elevator is too flexible. I had to ad about 80 grams weight to the nose to get my cg good so during the rebuild i am going to extend the nose a bit and improve on my linkage.most of it is salvagable but at least needs a new nose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windy day.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	158777  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2604
SARG5
SARG5

Club: RUSSELL R/C. HAVE BUILT MY OWN R/C FILED ON MY FARM
Friends: (2)

Thanks guys on the HING deal.
My problem is that I am working with 3/4 in blue foam on several builds. Will give your suggestions a try on the thicker foam, to see if I can make it work. I have the
beacon foam tac.
Have been getting away with errors most of the time. My current build on the table is an A-10 , 55 in . wing. Will have EDC for power. Better make sure everything is correct.
Again
Happy Easter. Thanks for all the help\
SARG5
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #2605
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

My problem is that I am working with 3/4 in blue foam on several builds. Will give your suggestions a try on the thicker foam, to see if I can make it work. I have the
beacon foam tac.
Have been getting away with errors most of the time. My current build on the table is an A-10 , 55 in . wing. Will have EDC for power. Better make sure everything is correct.
Again
SARG5

Sarge,

Can't wait to see a pic of the A-10. A big one, no less. EDF's? What are you going with? twin 70mm's? 64mm's?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #2606
SARG5
SARG5

DAHAWK
Please, DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH. After building 7 Profile Foam this past winter.
This A-10 was to be a Next Winter Project. Got things cleaned up around the farm and our Kansas Winds, and cold set back in. Had some left over foam. So, started working on the A-10, Found the Plans in an old 1992 Model Airplane mag. Plans are for a Stick Build. Converting to PROFILE BUILD.
Assume, it will be a long time, like NEXT WINTER before I will need power. But, that being said , Have been reading and thinking along the lines of 70mm? Will get the weight, etc. then talk to you folks more when that time comes around.
I will forward some pictures as it comes along. Is cut out, and going together.
BUT
Now, time for
FISHING
CAMPING with my Military friends
traveling.
more FISHING, CAMPING, ETC.
I do take an RC with me most of the time while camping. My EasyStar, most of the time, is easy to carry in RV.
SARG5
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #2607
Dimeflyer

Club: haven't picked one yet ?

Sarge5
try making a double 45* hinge cut on both surfaces like this > < or round off
both surfaces and make tape hinges that alternate like you would on balsa
planes with monokote or other iron on covering for both pieces !!
George
Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #2608
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Easy way to make hinge on foam. Round or bevel both edges of hinge line. Lay on flat surface with slight gap about the thickness of the foam at hinge line. Put clear packing tape length of hinge line. Hold gap apart and turn everything over. Put clear packing tape on other side of hinge line. Now push gap closed. The tape will go downward into the gap and stick to itself making a good hinge.

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #2609
Dimeflyer

that work well also !
I forgot that one for some reason ?
must be sometimers strikes again ?
George
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #2610
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
that work well also !
I forgot that one for some reason ?
must be sometimers strikes again ?
George
Understand, I have reached the age where I remember 20 min ago and 20 years ago but everything in between is kind of foggy.

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #2611
SARG5
SARG5

HINGES
Thank you , EVERYONE. Have been trying your suggestions on scraps. For the most part , I have been doing what is suggested. The problem is my 3/4 foam. Much harder to make suggestions work. And larger RC. The one that I am now working on is the A-10 with 55 in wing. Do not want the hing to fail.
And working with the BLUE AND PINK foam is sure not like working with EPP, and my MULTIPLEX planes.
I have found that if I use the 3M tape with the threads in it??? name ?? works quite well. My first problem that occured with this 3M, Paint would not stick to it. Not a big problem, just making cheap play things anyway . winter project,
second, Paint the foam. Then the 3M would not stick well to the paint??
So, started putting Beacon foam tac on the 3M to help it stick, THAT WORKED.
Some place in the thread, read, if you used any type of standard hing. ALWAYS FOLLOW UP WITH A packing tape etc., to back up the hing.
FOLKS, at this point, WINTER BUILD IS OVER, 8 planes flying. Watching the hinge problem very close, Have has more then a few fail.
I am enjoying the FOAM , SCRATCH BUILD Profile build very much.
I think, what is lurned at this point in time.
IF, I am going to build a GE WIZZ. plane. Will spend the $$$$ for a sheet of EPP or the CCCC [stuff], hit a brain Fa on the name. for $70.00 and not go with the $23.00 blue or pink stuff. Then there should not be a problem with
GLUE, HINGES, PAINT,
IS IT NOT FUN TO PLAY WITH THESE PLANS!!!!!!!!!!
Will post some pictures of the A-10 build soon. It is looking great at this point.
If you did not read. These plans were in a old 1992 MODEL AIRPLANE mag. Converted these plans into a PROFILE BUILD. Seams to be working out well. Now, if it will fly Will be NEXT WINTER, before the wife will let me spend for power. Thinking along the lines of 70mm power.
Enough
AGAIN. You builders are great friends.
SARG5
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #2612
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

HINGES
Thank you , EVERYONE. Have been trying your suggestions on scraps. For the most part , I have been doing what is suggested. The problem is my 3/4 foam. Much harder to make suggestions work. And larger RC. The one that I am now working on is the A-10 with 55 in wing. Do not want the hing to fail.
And working with the BLUE AND PINK foam is sure not like working with EPP, and my MULTIPLEX planes.
I have found that if I use the 3M tape with the threads in it??? name ?? works quite well. My first problem that occured with this 3M, Paint would not stick to it. Not a big problem, just making cheap play things anyway . winter project,
second, Paint the foam. Then the 3M would not stick well to the paint??
So, started putting Beacon foam tac on the 3M to help it stick, THAT WORKED.
Some place in the thread, read, if you used any type of standard hing. ALWAYS FOLLOW UP WITH A packing tape etc., to back up the hing.
FOLKS, at this point, WINTER BUILD IS OVER, 8 planes flying. Watching the hinge problem very close, Have has more then a few fail.
I am enjoying the FOAM , SCRATCH BUILD Profile build very much.
I think, what is lurned at this point in time.
IF, I am going to build a GE WIZZ. plane. Will spend the $$$$ for a sheet of EPP or the CCCC [stuff], hit a brain Fa on the name. for $70.00 and not go with the $23.00 blue or pink stuff. Then there should not be a problem with
GLUE, HINGES, PAINT,
IS IT NOT FUN TO PLAY WITH THESE PLANS!!!!!!!!!!
Will post some pictures of the A-10 build soon. It is looking great at this point.
If you did not read. These plans were in a old 1992 MODEL AIRPLANE mag. Converted these plans into a PROFILE BUILD. Seams to be working out well. Now, if it will fly Will be NEXT WINTER, before the wife will let me spend for power. Thinking along the lines of 70mm power.
Enough
AGAIN. You builders are great friends.
SARG5
Good luck with the build there Sarg5
Crash

Crashalott
Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #2613
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Since I augered-in my F-15 a few weeks ago, I have a Grayson V2 w 20 Amp esc, control rods, servos etc looking for a new home. Have some Dollar Tree foam board laying around and was thinking about slamming together another "prop in the slot" pusher park jet to fill out the hangar. Love my F-22 but was thinking I would do something different. The F4 Phantom II is too time consuming. F117? Any ideas?

-Hawk
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #2614
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Since I augered-in my F-15 a few weeks ago, I have a Grayson V2 w 20 Amp esc, control rods, servos etc looking for a new home. Have some Dollar Tree foam board laying around and was thinking about slamming together another "prop in the slot" pusher park jet to fill out the hangar. Love my F-22 but was thinking I would do something different. The F4 Phantom II is too time consuming. F117? Any ideas?

-Hawk
Here ya go Hawk
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414472
Good luck!

Crashalott
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #2615
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Friends: (0)

My problem is that I am working with 3/4 in blue foam on several builds. Will give your suggestions a try on the thicker foam, to see if I can make it work.
SARG5
Haven't done it yet, but if I were hinging 3/4" foam I would face one side with 1/4" balsa and the other with 3/4" balsa triangle stock and use a standard hinge. The problem with top or bottom hinging a surface that thick is that you build in differential surface movement.

Azarr
Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #2616
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Crash,

Looks very interesting. I think I could recycle my parts to make this one. Simple, straightforward. I also found when using Dollar Tree,that when you remove the paper, the foam is about 3mm thick. This one calls for some 3mm laminated sections.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #2617
Dimeflyer

Whats up gang ?
Every one else having flying weather but not here or in MidWest from the looks of it ?
Too much rain/wind here , and way to much nasty stuff there !!!!
Hope no one got hurt out there !!!!!
George
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #2618
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Crash,

Its only cheating a little bit in the whole genre of scratchbuilding but what I have decided to do is craft an RC plane from an Air Hogs $9.99 glider purchased at Target. In fact , I just bought two of them. Still alot of cutting, carving and McGivering to do in order get this thing airworthy under motorized power. But the basic foam air frame is there for starters. Shortens the build time not having to print tiled plans, make templates, cut , fit, refit, etc.

Looked closely at the Twin engine Cargo plane( very cool) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=cargo and the Stunt Cat pusher prop jet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SBcAoEDjQI

I'll keep these in mind for next winter as I'm likely to have spare parts left over from the summer that I can recycle if you know what I mean.

Meanwhile, my Grayson combo will have a new home.

Have a good one !

Hawk
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #2619
scoote621

Club: Wingbusters MAC
Friends: (5)

Hey all,

Just wrote up Part 1 of my latest build log on my blog....

http://stevesrcaddiction.wordpress.com/

TAE (Toy Aircraft Enthuisist)

My NEW BLOG
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #2620
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Scoote,

Outstanding and thanks for sharing. I'm traveling until next Weds but this help help me get going asap when I get back. Nicely done !

Hawk
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #2621
scoote621

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Scoote,

Outstanding and thanks for sharing. I'm traveling until next Weds but this help help me get going asap when I get back. Nicely done !

Hawk
Thanks, hope to finish her tonight and start painting. Just have to connect the esc to the motor, (might go with a 40amp one actually, should be enough and will be lighter). connect the receiver, trim her out, and add a little tape to some areas for extra strength and a belly skid and then paint. Thinking of trying a metallic silver spray paint.

My NEW BLOG
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #2622
Dimeflyer

Metal finishes may not be compatable with the foam guy ?
George
Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #2623
scoote621

i have used testors spray paint before and as long as you go very light with it there is no issue with the foam...the metal paint was a different brand, i tested it on a peice of foam and it seemed ok as long as you didn't blast it from up close, but looks like it would take many coats to get the desired look and not sure i want to put in that kind of effort. will need to come up with different paint scheme.

My NEW BLOG
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #2624
SARG5
SARG5

Default A-10 Profile build

This is my Scratch Build [Profile] A-10. Plans from 1992 Model Airplane mag. Build is out of 3/4 in , 20 core Blue foam. Thinking along the lines of an 70mm DF.
Not sure. Will worry about that NEXT WINTER to finish this build.

SARG5Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	159051

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	159052

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	159053

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	159054

Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #2625
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Sarge,

Looks great !

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
foamies , scratchbuilt