Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #101
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Wednesday early morning RC Flying!

Gerry,

Allow me to post those same pictures and others that I thought were much better at appreciating this fantastic model up closer

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #102
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1
Friends: (6)

BEAUTIFUL photos of my favorite plane .

The sharpness of the detail on the plane , while flying , wow .

Old 09-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #103
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Streamer Leader Flight!

Hi Guys!

My buddy Gerry (simano) took his new Park Zone SE5a out early Friday morning to our RC Club again for several more flights and one of the flights he asked me to provide him with a Yellow Ribbon that I bought the other day from Wal-Mart Crafts section and I of course gave him the entire roll and cutting device so, he could help himself.

Gerry just cut nothing more than a 8 inch long piece and he went off to take-off his PZ SE5a with that Streamer attached on his model's right outer strut!

What Gerry informed me was that this was an actual manner in which they communicated during WW-I and this signified that whoever had this Streamer was the Squadron Leader.

For additional information on the significance on the Streamer go to:
http://forum.planetalk.net/viewtopic...e266f9212ff254

Otherwise please go and see the VIDEO capture from Friday morning!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #104
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

My PKZ SE5a adventure continues
Over at Horizonrcflyers.com there is a flyer named ATIS .............
My thanks agin to ATIS , and his note on his postings about ............
No matter what goes wrong, keep flying the plane...at least then you have a chance of saving her.

Because today on a perfect overcast windless day I was enjoying my Parkzone SE5a flying and really relaxing . Then on the third battery flight towards the end of my 12 min timer setting , I was setting up for an approach , and was too far out , and too low , and throttled back a bit to much and as I turned into the wind , yep
It dropped below the tree line and into the baseball fields fence areas , light pole areas and all of that below and behind the trees ...................
I was up on my feet , and fighting the controls , it would rise above the trees after full throttle and up elevator , and then back down behind the trees , this seemed to go on forever ......and I thought chop the throttle and try to level the wings , or at least what I thought might be level , and then I thought about ATIS's saying and laughed as I throttled up again and continued the now you see it , now you dont , untill I recovered and flew back for a really nice landing , thank goodness .

I wish there was video of all of this .

So thanks agin to ATIS , and always remember
No matter what goes wrong, keep flying the plane...at least then you have a chance of saving her.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #105
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
I was up on my feet , and fighting the controls , it would rise above the trees after full throttle and up elevator , and then back down behind the trees , this seemed to go on forever ......and I thought chop the throttle and try to level the wings , or at least what I thought might be level , and then I thought about ATIS's saying and laughed as I throttled up again and continued the now you see it , now you dont , untill I recovered and flew back for a really nice landing , thank goodness .
Shucks, missed another one, going to have to tell my priestest to make the hex stronger. LOL Glad you got it down without crashing. Going to have to see that one next time I am your way.

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #106
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

Don I hope that you make it by here again and we can fly the 250 size ones , and I do belive that you would like the Parkzone SE5a for yourself . It will fly at half throttle , fairly slowly , and takes off and lands somewhat easy , on your close cut grass area it would work I belive . With the included tail skid mounted instead of the tailwheel , I imagne that it would slow down landing in the grass quickly . Its not as quick and responsive as the Electrifly SE5a , the PKZ has mass and flies with a momentum feel to it . Of course at full throttle it really moves and will do most anything you want to do , but at just a bit over half throttle is the most realistic flight realism in the air . and it looks good on the ground also .

guapoman has posted beautiful videos and photos of the PKZ SE5a
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #107
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Club: South Jersey Silent Flyers
Friends: (73)

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Shucks, missed another one, going to have to tell my priestest to make the hex stronger. LOL Glad you got it down without crashing. Going to have to see that one next time I am your way.
Yeah right D! You need another crashed plane alright! I think it might be a real good idea if you applied for a recycling license. That way you could get something from the goverment for recycling all of these crashed/trashed foam airplanes. Marty

Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in a combat zone. Just say no to red airplanes!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #108
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Glad you saved her - that would be a nerve wracking experience for sure.

Wolfe
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #109
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
Yeah right D! You need another crashed plane alright! I think it might be a real good idea if you applied for a recycling license. That way you could get something from the goverment for recycling all of these crashed/trashed foam airplanes. Marty
Great idea, I could then use government money to feed my habit. I think I need help.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #110
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

Don,

These guys are right. You need an intervention, I'am sure all would reach in and help you. Myself, I think more of a Exorcism.
BTW: One of your pilots jumped ship...or wiggled off the hex. I got the Nieuport in a inverted flat spin by accident of course..and that little guy got her out of it. I promoted him!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #111
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Don,
One of your pilots jumped ship...or wiggled off the hex. I got the Nieuport in a inverted flat spin by accident of course..and that little guy got her out of it. I promoted him!
I have him up on charges of treason. The inverted flat spin was not an accident and he was suppost to stay with it till the crash not save it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #112
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

HAHAHA!! I wish I had a video of the flight..real smooth air, maybe 3mph wind...took it up high and a nice puff just flipped it over on its back, the dehydral went the oposite way..at least it looked like it. Iam holding hard rudder, down elev and full power...she snapped back upright about 30 feet off the deck. I didnt count but it looked like 1000 full spins on her back! well, maybe 6 or 7. Gotta say that plane held up and no visable cracks or issues. I'll probably fly her a little gentle the next few flights! Your little guy did good!! Didnt even bail!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #113
degreen60
Flying Fish

I haven't tried flying my Neiuport upside down but I have flown my Jenny N9 upside down. I am using it to learn upside down flying. I mostly use controls just to keep it upside down not to fly where I want. To get back upright I just give it full up and loop down. I aways try to stay highter than the trees.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #114
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I would be really surprised if you could fly the Nieuport set up with the factory rigging inverted. Good luck. If you want to try my mistake without the help of the wind, get her into a hammerhead..try getting her on her back and see what she does! And...yes...lets do this 3 mistakes high! Years back, I did this in a Stearman, the instructor told me she would not stay on her back in a spin...well this baby did..scared the crap out of me! Again, it seems like a 1000 revolutions, but stick forward, no power and a little kick of rudder..she came out fine. Never did one again on purpose anyway!!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #115
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

I also just recently got my Nieuport upside down , full throttle , holding down elev , and like my DVII it seems to just do a circle on its own , I have not been able to steer it any way . BUT , I have to get it out of the upside down circle because it is slowly , ever so slowly loosing height as it circles , and I almost ran out of recovery room / height , with the Fokker one time , it was really close to impact before it was flying normal .

Man these 250 size slow flyers sure are fun , sure wish they would announce another one in the EFlite series , Spad or Albatros or Pup , something else new .

or a twin engine bomber , wouldn't that really be something
Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #116
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Love them all so far..just alot of scale looking flying! Starting on another SE5a for a friend..the more the merrier! Gotta love the one above though..thats one beautiful plane!!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #117
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

A perfect afternoon after the thunderstorn for flying two of my favorite bipes , PKZ SE5a and FMS Stearman PT-17 , 10 batteries of happiness flying , a great day

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PKZ SE5a          FMS Stearman  PT-17.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	158274
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #118
grahamw

Friends: (0)

I think I would have got one of these rather than the Stinson I bought, but I am currently making one from a D.Boddington design.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #119
grahamw

By the way, aren't the roundels in the wrong place - too near the fuse? I think the SE5 had the roundels here, the SE5A nearer the wing tips.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #120
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

There are period photos showing the PKZ SE5A , just as PKZ produced it . with the inboard roundels .
Because of my poor eye sight , I added the white stripes on the upper wing , which REALLY helps me to pick it out in the sky , or against the trees in the background .
and both the PKZ SE5a and THE FMS Stearman really fly well for me .

The two others here who I fly with and myself all ordered the FMS Stearmans , all three are great flyers , and look really good .
Mine has the pilot

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 FMS Stearman PT 17s.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	158290
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #121
grahamw

I bet they look good flying together!
I agree with your comments re the 250 size bibes by the way - I got one of the Jenny's and put a 7x5 prop one for a bit more thrust and it's great. That PZ SE5A really looks good with the rib detail on the wings.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #122
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

The joy of flying the PKZ SE5a continues for me here , , and because of what seems like endless wind conditions here , I have grown to brave the winds more than I used to , and the 40 oz SE5a seems to handle them well , of course landing INTO the wind .
I have found myself almost hovering into the wind on landings , and you can really make short landings , into the wind .
Of course I do drag a wingtip every now and then , still . and the ruff pavement eats the foam away
I flew 6 or 7 batterys worth of fun through it Thursday , starting around 4 PM or so .

I sure am anxious for the PKZ Albatros DVa to show up around here .
But the Albatros is going to have to a large task to be a better flyer than the SE5a is .

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #123
grahamw

Sounds great fun Wattman. My SE5A is ready for its maiden flight at last - its 43 oz all up, and the windspan is just 31 inches, so the stall speed should be around 14mph. I'm hoping all goes well tomorrow if the winds are right at the club field here.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #124
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

Good luck , and let us know how it flew , and who's kit / plans it is .
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #125
grahamw

It was pretty jittery to start with - I have put on 30% rudder mix now, moved the CG forward 1cm and lifted the motor 4mm or so and it flies better. It doesn't like the wind, but then it is small at 1:10 scale. It is a D.Boddington design, built from a plan from "myhobbystore.com" Its using one of the new OS electric motors (1200KV), and gives 49oz of thrust at 330 watts with a 9.5x6 prop. The dihedral is as on the plan - but this was for a 3 chanel model, perhaps I should have flattened the wings a little with the ailerons.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era