Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Help How to fit my floats to my Cessna ?

Here's a good set of floats ... $10 from HK ...

With complete hardware kit and also water rudder.

Just right size for my HK Cessna (Skyartec) :

BUT ... how to fit ? The mount struts - the rear one sits right over the battery hatch ....

Here you can see that I can even get away with leaving the wheel legs on ...

The main wheels legs are permanent fit into wood block in fuselage so only wheels can be removed. I know I shall have to change or at least tape up that hatch to stop water going in ...

HOW to fit the floats ?

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

I would move the back float mount rearward on the floats, so that it meets the fus. just behind the fixed gear legs and battery hatch. Epoxy a piece of ply inset into the foam where the float mounts touch the fus. front and rear, drill holes to match the float mount spacing, screw them to the ply plates, and go fly! :-) And yes, tape over the holes in the battery hatch.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

The step should be directly under the center of gravity or very slightly in front of it.

Your last picture looks like you are close to that point.
If the step is too far behind the CG, the plane will not rotate to a takeoff angle.
I put home made foam floats on a 60" J-3 cub, step directly below CG, flew great.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
I would move the back float mount rearward on the floats, so that it meets the fus. just behind the fixed gear legs and battery hatch. Epoxy a piece of ply inset into the foam where the float mounts touch the fus. front and rear, drill holes to match the float mount spacing, screw them to the ply plates, and go fly! :-) And yes, tape over the holes in the battery hatch.
Simple !! Why didn't I think of that ... I just bolted up the mounts to floats as supplied (fittings are already set into the floats). Just means making plastic tabs to set into foam as alternate fixing.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
The step should be directly under the center of gravity or very slightly in front of it.

Your last picture looks like you are close to that point.
If the step is too far behind the CG, the plane will not rotate to a takeoff angle.
I put home made foam floats on a 60" J-3 cub, step directly below CG, flew great.
Agreed ... this was just for photos to show problem.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions